AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in an audio - video specialty store recently. We were talking about items that were $,$$$ per component and well into $$,$$$ for a system. This visit reminded me of several past occasions in similar stores where the quality of customer service was lacking.

The person I talked to gave erroneous information on several points. These were simple errors of fact. He seemed very honest.

Since then I have been thinking about how I would run a small specialty store. And that would be something along the lines of:

1. Know a basic up to date overview of the products in my main lines, especially anything on display.

2. Have a laptop connected to a medium sized TV on a wall on which I could display product information.

3. At slow times, which I suspect most dealers have a lot of, I would download product brochures and owners manuals. I might even browse the manuals just to be familiar with their organization.

4. When a customer asked a specific question I would admit I did not know the answer and suggest we search the relevant literature or the internet while he is there. I can sell something to a customer who is present much easier than when he is somewhere else looking at something else.

5. I would never guess, try to change the subject, or give an answer to different, unasked questions. I leave that to politicians.

I realize I have described this for a small shop environment but larger stores could have a desk and computer for each salesman. And if I did have said large store I would be quick to weed-out salesmen with seriously defective personalities. In the past I have had a few experiences with people who were supposed to be salesmen for audio - video equipment but should have been in occupations where they can be obnoxious to everyone.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Which Store? Audio Dimensions on Woodward - Harry?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not Audio Dimensions. I recommend them. I have purchased many things there in past years and received good service and support. I have neither visited nor purchased anything of the types of products Harry sells in years. I have not gone there in my current shopping because I have a few specific needs with many constraints and he does not have any usable offerings.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Where?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never tell.
Within 150 miles of here.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1520012/musing-on-shopping-experiences#post_24510935

Which Store? Audio Dimensions on Woodward - Harry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1520012/musing-on-shopping-experiences#post_24512437

Where?
   Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2  /t/1520012/musing-on-shopping-experiences#post_24512707

Never tell.
Within 150 miles of here.

I would guess Paulsons.

I don't know why but I always feel like I've just steped out of Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine into 1978 when I walk through the doors of Audio Dimensions.  There's just a touch of "snake oil" in there, mostly from customers, as to be a little charming.  I'm a planar speaker guy and keep a seprate room for stereo; Harry has great stuff and service.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1520012/musing-on-shopping-experiences#post_24514308

Best to let the folks who care by PM at least !

PS:

Just saw an Armenian guy on Friday Night Fights named Martirosyian win in a nice middle weight fight tonight. Not exact but must be related.

Art

We're lovers not fighters.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I heard that some high end stores in NYC are now charging an audition fee that is of course waved if a purchase is made?

I guess I see their dilemma. How can you possibly stay in business just demoing stuff only to have the customer go home and order it on line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts