1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from doom9.org

Quote:
Oups, I did it again!

In less that 24 hours, without any Blu-Ray equipment, but with the help of Janvitos, I managed to decrypt and play a Blu-Ray media file using my known-plaintext attack...

The file from the movie "Lord of war", play well with VideoLan.

Janvitos gave me few files on the BD disc and a memory dump...

Note that I don't address BD+. The file don't seem to be BD+ protected.

I will keep you informed If I found anything new...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ha, and just when I was worried that the HD DVD crack would hurt HD DVD, here muslix does the same to BR! I definitely don't condone piracy, but I think it's hilarious that Sony's house of cards is beginning to collapse.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVDwonder /forum/post/0

It doesn't really seem this person's efforts have created the kind of uproar that was anticipated

Uproar by whom?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ Did I ever say that HD DVDs "house of cards" wasn't collapsing? I didn't mean to be taken that way.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I think most people expected a similar compromise for BD, since essentially the same crappy software plays both and exposes the keys for both...

It will be interesting to see how the two formats and AACS reacts to this.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/0

^ Did I ever say that HD DVDs "house of cards" wasn't collapsing? I didn't mean to be taken that way.
No, though I guess that wasn't as amusing to you

I think it is all pretty amusing in many ways. The reactions are going to be the really interesting parts though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well at least Blu-Ray has BD+. From what I understand ...they cracked a Blu-Ray title, Lord of Wars, without the BD+ layer.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0

Well at least Blu-Ray has BD+. From what I understand ...they cracked a Blu-Ray title, Lord of Wars, without the BD+ layer.

Not a single title has used BD+, so it's a non-issue. Hollywood is going to have to learn. If you have the disc, you have the content, no matter how hard you want to keep it from the consumer.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

From what the insiders have said none of the current blu-ray titles use BD+. I guess they will start to use it now.

Both of these compromises will only affect current titles. Once AACS revokes the keys for these players then no new titles will play in them.

It doesn't do anything about unencrypted content floating around ********** or USENET. There's no way to even determine which key was used to decode the content in that case, so there's nothing to revoke.

·
Registered
876 Posts
OMG ...Sony and BDA has been bragging about this advantage over HD DVD for the longest time and you mean to tell me they have not implemented this feature with current titles?? I am a big supporter of Blu-Ray but Sony management has done nothing but screw up! If they were half as competent, this format war could of have been history by now!

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:

Oh hoooray!!!! BD has BD+, consumers around the world rejoice! The best copy protection right now is the large size of the file. MuslimX does it again.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Any one of these formats copy systems can be cracked.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

Any one of these formats copy systems can be cracked.

Don't know about that, but these two haven't been "cracked". They've been "hacked". Very important difference from a security perspective.

And maybe it's pedantic, but when coupled with "copy system" I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw /forum/post/0

It doesn't do anything about unencrypted content floating around ********** or USENET. There's no way to even determine which key was used to decode the content in that case, so there's nothing to revoke.

It would be funny if it turned out the keys came from the PS3.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

Quote:

OMG ...Sony and BDA has been bragging about this advantage over HD DVD for the longest time and you mean to tell me they have not implemented this feature with current titles?? I am a big supporter of Blu-Ray but Sony management has done nothing but screw up! If they were half as competent, this format war could of have been history by now!

BD+ was being kept in reserve; it's not a 'mistake' on their part. No one wanted to use it if they didn't have to (except maybe FOX). But this whole thing will end up a positive for BD vs HD DVD in the eyes of the studios (and a negative for everyone revenue-wise). BD+ will offer an additional protection layer for future instances, and ROM-Mark prevents mass replication piracy. Any BD copies would have to be burned. Not that that doesn't sting, but it's a different order of magnitude on the piracy scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan4911 /forum/post/0

It would be funny if it turned out the keys came from the PS3.

Except if you read the Doom9 threads, you already know it didn't.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

The pure software players are probably going to be all disabled for future disks. Corel/Intervideo is out of $8M+$8M at a minimum. Cyberlink will be scrutinized heavily and also disabled if it can be cracked by the AACS group.

svpalliance has been talking about hardware additions to the software players to prevent exactly this. Cost of playing movies on a PC will probably go up.

What about the PS3? Sony can't really add hardware to it at this point in time, anymore. Granted, it might not be as easy to use for extracting volume keys, but I guess sooner or later it might be cracked, too.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.