AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that "How the West Was Won" by Led Zep. was a horrible multichannel disc. I read in Absolute Sound that the back channels are too active, ruining all benefits of multichannel sound. I almost bought this disc today, so I'm glad I didn't now! Can you suggest any other horrible mixes in the multichannel world to avoid?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Marvin Gaye "Forever Yours", DTS disc. Terrible, muddy sonics...

John

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Carlos Santana Supernatural DVD-A

Generally well done but the song I bought it for-- "Smooth", was brutally bad.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Blue Oyster Cult. Terrible mix with muddy vocals.

I did read good reviews on the Led Zep DVD. Is it that bad?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Pet Shop Boys Somewhere concert. Sounds like a really low quality MP3- really harsh with no midrange (not a fault with the audio system because other well recorded concert DVD's sound fab)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk

I did read good reviews on the Led Zep DVD. Is it that bad?
There are TWO Led Zep DVD's NightHawk - I have the DVD simply titled Led Zepplin - it is a double DVD set with the first DVD "Live at the Royal Albert Hall - 1970" and the second DVD is a mix from MSG (1973), Earls Court (1975) and Knebworth (1979).

"How the West was won" is a different DVD, that is where you are getting confused

"Led Zepplin" - good

"How the West was Won" - I haven't heard it so I won't comment

·
Registered
321 Posts
Seems that "must avoid" really depends on what you like versus what is on the disc. If a reviewer describes their own preferences regarding what makes a good mix, then their use of pejorative or honorific terms regarding a particular recording will make sense. But if they just say the surrounds are "over active" without putting it in context, that could either mean the ambiance was calling attention to itself (which it should not), or maybe the brass in the rear was overpowering the wispy singer's voice up front (which wouldn't be too good either.) Note those are made-up examples, not a description of the recording by Led Zep. :>)

When I go to concerts, the performing group is usually on stage in front and so that is where the main sounds come from. A properly rendered multichannel mix of that kind of performance places the performers up front and renders the hall's ambient sound in the surround channels. I usually don't like multichannel mixes that spread the instruments around the channels in a manner that you would never encounter at a live performance. But the effects of Dark Side of the Moon pop up in all channels and are quite effective, so there are exceptions.

On the other hand, some other folks are really "taken" with surround sound "envelopment", which seems for some to mean having recognizable sounds asserting themselves from every corner. To them, just getting ambiance from the surrounds isn't as "exciting" and negates the value of their purchase of expensive surround sound equipment. Typically they would love the mixes I hate and vice versa.

So in this as in many things, one man's treasure may be another's junk.

Burke

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Burke

I agree that some people may like active surrounds while others prefer them to complement the front stage in music, but what I am referring to in this thread is discs that a bunch of jackasses put together to make cash. We all know them!

I love Led Zep. so I would love to think they had some good DVD-As, but from what I have heard, their great music was shortchanged by this mixer in "How the West Was Won".

·
Registered
945 Posts
^^^Agreed. My answer to this question is "All multi-channel discs." I'll take good 2-channel any day of the week.

Unless, of course, the surround channels are delegated to echos and background noise, while the band stays in front of me. And maybe Pink Floyd, because their music style works well in surround sound... ah hell, I don't know...

·
Registered
138 Posts
All the muti-channel DVD-A I've bought so far (not that many I have to admit) have had high def 2 channel in addition to multi-channel. Either the discs I have are unusual or I am missing something.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by overcast
Why can't they just make high definition 2channel and stop this multi channel atrocity :(
Atrocity? Come on. It may not be your cup but most people would agree that it hardly qualifies as an atrocity unless your just trolling for arguments.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk

Atrocity? Come on. It may not be your cup but most people would agree that it hardly qualifies as an atrocity unless your just trolling for arguments.
Does the band play in front of you or behind you?

Do I want to hear the band reflecting off a wall behind me thanks to this new format? No. I already have an echo off a wall due to my house, so it sounds like the band is in my house, I don't want it to sound like they are in a room in my house.

Atrocity? No.

Accurate reflection of what the music should sound like? No, again the band/orchestra doesn't sit behind me. Any sounds coming from behind me should be the reflections of the room.

Unless the band wrote and arranged for surround sound, and intended for it to be heard that way, taking any normal 2 channel CD, playing it live, and sticking it onto a SACD isn't good.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Might as well just go back to good ol' mono, then, since I'm usually far enough away from the stage that I get no L/R imaging anyway. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21

Might as well just go back to good ol' mono, then, since I'm usually far enough away from the stage that I get no L/R imaging anyway. ;)
Ah, the joys of listenting to a group of well over 200 up close.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Guy's,

You can jump on me if you want for this generalization but I have over 300 dvd-a/sacd discs so I've had a chance to develop an enlightened opinion and it's this.

I've never been very pleased with anything that has "Front Row Live" on it.

It may just be that live recordings are not my cup of tea but I think of "Another Stoney Evening" and the Rat Pack and Live at The Sands as well and i think these are great live dvd-a's.

The 5.1 label has not been consistant from a quality perspective.

Peter m.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am no expert, but I think having multi-channel audio is the coolest thing. The only problem is none of the music I like is on it. My friend has played me many samples on his system, and while they do sound really nice, I would never buy those cd's. I think the real question here is what are some good ones? :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris3377
I am no expert, but I think having multi-channel audio is the coolest thing. The only problem is none of the music I like is on it. My friend has played me many samples on his system, and while they do sound really nice, I would never buy those cd's. I think the real question here is what are some good ones? :)
Try this thread

Maybe you'll find some SACDs or DVD-As that you'll like there.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.