AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having wanted an SACD player for some time, I just picked up the Yamaha DVD-S1800 from Amazon for $79 (free shipping).

Considering it plays DVD-Audio, SACD - I'm planning on keeping it in my system for a long time.

So, I need help. I already own DSOTM (hybrid), but other than that what are some must own SACD's - especially ones the WOW my friends/neighbors.

I really like fast orchestral music for demoing my system, as well as pop, rock, jazz and country.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is a great quad mix of DSOTM in DVD-A format floating around. Also some very good Quad transfers of WYWH in DVD-A as well.

However, these can not be purchase in stores and are only available as "questionable" downloads.

You didn't mention if you only intended to get feedback about SACD/DVD-A that can be purchased retail. The ELP Brain Salad Surgery is a good store bought DVD-A I suppose.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 /forum/post/18312059

so you're just playing this in stereo

No - my point about 2 channel is that there are a TON of SACD's that are ONLY two channel and that if people had suggestions for stereo SACD's not to hold back thinking I only wanted surround sound SACD's.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

What's unfortunate, none of those links are really what I'm looking for - there just SACD's that people have bought.

The purpose of this thread is to ask what SACD's are absolutely MUST HAVE due to their amazing recording quality, performance and dynamics. For example, if this was about BluRay movies, you'd say Iron Man is a must have demo disc. Those links are people saying "I just got George Clooney in "Up In The Air" " - a good movie, but not a must have title.

I did just add Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, but I'm looking for more demo material. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The Telarc recordings of Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra are great "demo" SACDs that might suit your tastes. Example releases include Great Film Fantasies and Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture (also available on DVD-Audio).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chesky records has a somewhat large selection of it's own material. Most of the music isn't to my personal taste so I don't have much. I like Chuck Mangione and it seems that a horn player front and center in the sound stage is good "test" material. IMHO.

Do some research as this may be what you are looking for.

www.chesky.com

I consider the bootleg DVD-A of DSOTM to be a must have. FWIW.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster /forum/post/18314214

Chesky records has a somewhat large selection of it's own material. Most of the music isn't to my personal taste so I don't have much. I like Chuck Mangione and it seems that a horn player front and center in the sound stage is good "test" material. IMHO.

Do some research as this may be what you are looking for.

www.chesky.com

I consider the bootleg DVD-A of DSOTM to be a must have. FWIW.

Thanks. I have the bootleg DVD-A of DSOTM [played it a couple of times on my older Panasonic that played DVD-A]. I enjoyed it, but there was a lot of hiss. I'm looking forward to the SACD.

I have the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc CD, and enjoyed a couple of songs on it, but I personally do not like the type of music they record. And I know they record Jazz, Blues, BlueGrass, Classical, etc. - but their stuff just bores me, even though their recording quality is second to no one. I really want to like their stuff.

Just picked up "Brahms, Tchaikovsky: Violin Concertos " for $11 on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Head here:

www.sa-cd.net

All SACDs are listed by genre. See what interests you and there are some reviews there as well.

Also, here's another link where you can do a search for top AQ titles:

www.audioasylum.com

It matter what interests you. I've had plenty of recommendations throughout the years whereby I didn't care for the music. Rock, pop, jazz, and orchestral music encompass a wide range and some music may be much more easy to digest within each genre.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
One of the better DVD-A discs is Beatles Love. If you like the Beatles, it's a must have in my book.

If you want more contemporary music, the Porcupine Tree DVD-A discs are worth getting. You can find tons of links and reviews on line. Also, The Crystal Method's Legion of Boom DVD-A will shake your room.

The expensive Howard Shore CD/DVD-A set of the Lord of the Rings: Complete Recordings includes both hi-rez stereo and surround tracks. There's a set for each of the films, so you could spend a couple hundred bucks getting all three. They're well worth it IMO.

Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth is a great surround DVD-A if that's music that appeals to you.

In the realm of SACD, I'll let others chime in.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater /forum/post/18314443

I have the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc CD, and enjoyed a couple of songs on it, but I personally do not like the type of music they record. And I know they record Jazz, Blues, BlueGrass, Classical, etc. - but their stuff just bores me, even though their recording quality is second to no one. I really want to like their stuff.

Haha - I couldn't agree more. I know the quality is good but the music itself just doesn't do if for me. Like you, i try to get into it but so far everything I have is just used for 30 second demo's

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster /forum/post/18314214

Chesky records has a somewhat large selection of it's own material. Most of the music isn't to my personal taste so I don't have much. Do some research as this may be what you are looking for.

www.chesky.com

As for Chesky, it put out one of my all-time favorite SACD's.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...ctcategoryid=3

Not to everyone's tastes (understatement), but to me... it's stunning.

shane

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm going to suggest some things that you can find on the shelf of your local shop. For a modest $80 or so you can pick up the Doors Perception budget box. It includes all the Doors' studio albums in 5.1 and 2.0 DVD-Audio and 2.0 red book PCM CD. It's available almost everywhere.

I own a copy and it's a blast.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Doors/dp/B000WCN8SC

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Music_CD..._sku=RHI799598

Two more bargain boxes are the Kinks RCA ($47) and Arista ($54) collections. Hybrid Stereo ONLY. I mention the stereo only due to some discs mention of non existant surround typos on some of the disc artwork.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Music_CD..._sku=KOC798212

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Music_CD..._sku=KOC798212

I bought some of the Kinks discs individually and love em.

There are countless great pop and rock SA-CD and DVD-Audio titles out there, but except for the new King Crimson DVD-Audio titles, they are out of print. My advice is read the surround forums and familiarize yourself with what is out there and start checking Ebay, Amazon and the bins of your local used shop. When your cruising the used shops I suggest that you buy any SA-CD title you spot. even if your not going to listen to it you might trade it for a title you want. This especially applies to The Rolling Stones ABKCO Digipak Hybrid SA-CD titles.

Cheers,

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll list a few of my favorites SACD's, I listen to these often and use them as demo material when friends visit. Fantastic sound quality and well done surround mixes. You can probably find many of these online if you hunt around. I'm not into classical but I did pick up a bunch of the the Living Stereo SACD's from Amazon during the holidays. Not sure how these stack up against other classical SACD releases sound quality wise but I've enjoyed the ones I've listened to so far. Good hunting......

Beck - Sea Change

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

Roxy Music - Avalon

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Nickle Creek - This Side

·
Registered
734 Posts
One that I was impressed with that hasn't been mentioned yet is Ray Charles' Ray Sings, Basie Swings.

·
Registered
433 Posts
To show off the higher quality of SACD, I frequently use this one:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/180

Stan Getz playing "Desifinado" is amazing. You really hear the airiness of the saxophone in the higher quality recording.

If you like Bossa Nova, this is a must have.

·
Registered
986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRebel /forum/post/18368503

To show off the higher quality of SACD, I frequently use this one:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/180

Stan Getz playing "Desifinado" is amazing. You really hear the airiness of the saxophone in the higher quality recording.

If you like Bossa Nova, this is a must have.

Yes, Getz/Gilberto is really good. And for the completists, there is a Japanese SACD that I have as well. I haven't listened to the two SACDs in some time, so I forget which one I preferred.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2380

·
Registered
981 Posts
On DVD-A I'll add The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds, Donald Fagen-Nightfly, Alice Cooper-Welcome To My Nightmare and The Eagles-Hotel California. I know I'm missing a few.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts