AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I suppose I don't have a problem with OEM cards being underclocked. That sort of chicanery has been going on for years. But it really saddens me that ATI would apparently tweak their drivers to cook the benchmarks.

Its one thing to tweak a driver to improve performance on a game, but to do so by reducing image quality seems like a desperate move. To appreciate the image degradation, check out:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...ck/default.asp

I really do hope ATI can succeed. I think everyone benefits from Nvidia having some competition.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___I believe Hard OCP was the first to catch the optimized drivers being cooked scheme under Quake III. After asking ATI’s coder in charge, he said ATI optimizes for a number of different gaming engines. They (Kyle and the gang) renamed all the Quake files to Quack and found the cooked driver optimization with lower frame rates using Quack III instead of Quake III. This wasn’t so bad until the issue of display Quality entered the discussion and apparently, the ATI drivers detune the display quality to cook the benches. Some more discussion … and than ATI admitted it massaged the drivers display quality (detuned) with disregard to any true optimization … Way to go ATI! This one won’t be as easy to bury as has been the case with the poor driver quality they have been passing out to us all these years … How can a company that can make such great HW (the Radeon chipset on the Radeon “LE†is a prime example) screw up the works like this? The world may never know ;)

___Here is the article for all to read …

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.