AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching for remedies for this, but was unable to find anything that worked for me :( So now i'm hoping one of you can point me in the right direction or provide a solution.

When i use the ATI player, i need to reboot the computer between DVDs. If i do not do that, the ATI player will lock up the entire computer after i insert the second DVD.

I've tried just leaving the ATI player active when changing DVDs, and i've tried shutting down the ATI player between DVDs, but in both cases the ATI player would lock up after i insert the 2nd DVD.

I've tried using the "Eject" in the ATI player, and i've tried using the eject button on the drive itself. Neither solved the problem.

I've tried starting the ATI player with DVD Genie ("Run ATI"), but that also did not solve the problem.

I have the ATI player and PowerDVD 3 installed on my system. I also installed Zoom player and tried the switching DVDs with it, but Zoom player also locked up after i tried to play a second DVD.

PowerDVD 3 does not have any problem with switching DVDs.

One sort of interesting thing: I have a couple .VOB files (THX, DD and DTS trailers) that i would like to play before a DVD. When i try to play them with the ATI file player, it also locks up the system when i try to play a 2nd file. After i installed Zoom player, the same thing happened with that player - play the 1st file, no problem, play a 2nd file, it locks up the system.

Does anybody know what's causing this locking up? Is it the Cinemaster engine? Does anybody know how to prevent this from happening? I'd like to use the Zoom player, but this way it's not gonna work :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gertjan

·
Registered
629 Posts
What operating system are you using? What hardware?

Have you tried re-installing DirectX 8?

Make sure you're running the lastest drivers for your hardware - try to stay away from unofficial driver releases if you're having problems.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan -

I'm running under Windows ME. Not sure on the drivers version (not at home right now, so i cannot check either). They're not beta or unofficial drivers, and they're not the very latest either. They were one of the versions that people here were using a lot though...

Hardware .. I bought the HTPC from cellarcinemas, they set the thing up completely. I'm not sure on the hardware. It's like this one , just that one is a little newer than mine (mine's a 1GHz CPU for example). Mine does have a Radeon LE video card.

I havent tried reinstalling DirectX 8, never installed it in the first place :) So do you think that would do the trick? The HTPC has been suffering from this from the start. The cellarcinemas guys even said that this was a known bug in the ATI software, that it was unstable and therefore unfortunately needs rebooting everytime.

Hope that helps any...

Gertjan

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmmm,

Well, I know the ATI players have been unstable and flakey, but I've never heard of the rebooting problem....that's rediculous.

Personally, I keep as much of ATI's software off my system as possible. I uninstalled the ATI media center stuff....

I just run the drivers for my system.

Try just running PowerDVD or WinDVD after uninstalling the ATI stuff, and see if that helps as well.

-Ryan

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just a suggestion; try this:

Set DVD AutoPlay Off

Insert a DVD

Open up My Computer and click refresh - you should see the DVD's label under the DVD drive icon.

Run ATI Player, do some watching.

When done, close ATI Player

Eject DVD and insert another DVD to watch

Open up My Computer and click refresh - you should see a different DVD label under the DVD drive icon.

Run ATI Player, see if it crashes or not.

I used to have the same problem as yours (Win98), but this is how I fixed it. It seems that the ATI DVD player remembers what was the last DVD it played. So with AutoPlay off, it won't know when the DVD has changed, and when you launched the ATI player it will automatically assume that the old DVD is still in there and goes haywire. This has the most regular effect of just hanging, or sometimes it goes to some sub-menu (instead of main menu).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Another way to correct for this problem (which works for me consistently) is to start the ATI player from the "Auto Region" tab in DVDGenie. First click on the bottom left button (this does something similar to what Budiman is suggesting) and then the bottom right button (with the ATI player selcted in the list of course). I have automated this with AutoIt including the usual regedit initializations, and it's fairly foolproof.

Carey

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ryan,

I have the same problem. if i try the zoom player i get errored out and when i launch ATI 5 the computer zaps and reboots itself. If i try cinemaster4 i get a error saying that the region is incorrect. I have tried setting it region one (the disc is ToyStory2). ATI player 5 DVD looks very good with the DXVA acceleration but i have noticed stutter with this new player and DD only remains on for a few minutes before completely losing sound.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately none of them work on my setup :( Any other ideas? This is getting very frustrating...

Gertjan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I also have this problem.

I can start and stop the same dvd endlessly, but if I exit the player and start it back up the splash screen will come up but the computer will lock up and require a hard boot.

None of the other players exhibit this behavior.

My setup is

cusl2

plll 800

win me

ati radeon le

7093 drivers

dvd genie

powerstrip

etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.