AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many post on Oval antenna installation and I really can't find the answer to the following question. Can you mount a multiswicth outside near the dish (protected from the weather) or do you have to mount it inside (as the manual states) ? Installing tomorrow and it makes a big difference in what I have to do in replacing my old round antenna. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You can mount a multiswitch anywhere you want as long as you have all four cables from the two dual LNBs connected to the input side of the multiswitch.

Most 24" elliptical dishes come with four short approx. 18" cables to connect the LNBs to the dish mounted switch. If you decided to mount the switch inside, 25' away, you'd need four 25' cables to connect the LNBs to the switch.

Depending on where the rooms are that will have your receivers and the location of the dish, you can figure out the optimal placement of the switch that will require the least amount of cable. If you intend to have only one or two receivers, it makes the most sense to mount the multiswitch on the dish and only run one or two cables inside the house.

·
Registered
209 Posts
you can mount a MS wherever you want, but remember that the vast majority of multiswitches are NOT weatherproof. and if it's a powered switch, you'll need to run a power line to it as well.

there are weatherproof boxes bring sold which can help you solve the weather problems - search the forums (and also the DirecTiVo forum, which has a lot of talk about MS's recently because of the dual-tuner upgrade).

dinesh

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The multiswitch that now comes with the elliptical dish is designed for outdoor use and there is even a place to mount it on the back side of the dish. The four wire from the two LNBs go to the multiswitch, and then you just run a cable to each receiver from the multiswitch. If you already have a dish this makes the installation a little easier since all the re-wiring will be done outside and you just connect the pre-existing wires that go into the house to the multiswitch.

SMK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm buying the dish tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get one with a weatherproof switch. If not I plan to use an enclosure. Using the preexisting wires is my number one goal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.