AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have multi-room setup with Marantz 8002 - 1 main 5.1 and 4 separate zones. Each zone is connected with it's own independence matching volume control. all 4 zones come to 1 audio panel from OnQ (4:1) and then connect to receiver. I am not able to get more than 2 zones+main setup working with this setup. My receiver trips when i have zone 3 connected. I have already tried switching all the zones to make sure if it is one specific zone with a short. Questions:

- Is receiver not able to drive all zones?

- Is OnQ a bad choice? This was cheap purchase i made for $60 thinking all i need is a way connect all wires together for mutli-zone speakers and just need 2 pair out for receiver.

- Do I need second receiver to drive my zones?

- Do i need multi-channel amplifier? which one? and to connect?

- If multi-channel, would i be then control for each zone separately for input and volume though a remote? Currently i have volume knobs in each room(not a panel)

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Not familiar with OnQ, does it also provide impedance matching of all 4 zones as if the AVR isn't seeing an 8Ω load (which it apparently isn't) then it will continue to shut down. If not, you may want to consider a 4-zone impedance matching speaker selector such as this one. Another option would be to connect an external 2CH amp to the 8002's Zone 2 preouts and then connect the OnQ to it instead of the AVR.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
^^^ +1

Is there something wrong with the OnQ? No.

It just isn't(apparently) impedance matching.

If you get an impedance matching(I didn't look at the link above, but assume he picked a good one) your problems will more than likely be solved.

With an IM speaker selector, if you still trip the Marantz into protection(which could happen, we have no idea how loud you are trying to turn this all up)...then we can help. But no amp is going to run a 2 ohm load with "many feet" of speaker wire and volume attenuaters added in.

In short, change out your speaker selector and start again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OnQ is not impedance matching. All my speakers are connect with impedance matching volume control for each zone. I believe i don't need an impedance matching speaker panel in this situation. Also, i am looking only connecting block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.