AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a listing on that famous auction site for the Mvix "Minx" MX-3250HD Ultra Compact HTPC ( pdf ). Is this a new offering by Mvix? How does its specs compare to a manual build of a mini-ITX form factor htpc using similar components?

·
Registered
165 Posts
afaik is better an asrock 330

the ION platform has more power

BHH

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see how the ION is more powerfull. The AMD CPU has alot more kick then the Atom, atleast if it's the one I think it is, and the GPU has the same power aswell, the only way it's not as good is the audio-side of things.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakas /forum/post/16929365

I don't see how the ION is more powerfull. The AMD CPU has alot more kick then the Atom, atleast if it's the one I think it is, and the GPU has the same power aswell, the only way it's not as good is the audio-side of things.

I agree for general use besides HTPC functionality this is a lot more capable than an intel Atom based PC.

This will not have any problems running Windows and HD flash from youtube or Hulu.

It's just a better computing experience overall when compared to ION.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 /forum/post/16929831

This will not have any problems running Windows and HD flash from youtube or Hulu.

It looks like a cool little system but why do you believe that it will "not have any problems running ... HD flash from youtube or Hulu" when it only has a 1.6Ghz processor?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh2 /forum/post/16929934

It looks like a cool little system but why do you believe that it will "not have any problems running ... HD flash from youtube or Hulu" when it only has a 1.6Ghz processor?

Because it's an Athlon and at the same speed as an Atom CPU, they are much more powerful processors in general. This is a case in which GHz doesn't compare directly.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/16930167

Im Skeptical... Its begging to stutter in Media Center.

You think so?

I had an Acer X-1200 with an Athlon X2 4850e and nVidia 8200 mGPU and it was able to playback everything smoothly without ever going past 50% CPU utilization.

Well, I guess we have to wait and see some reports from owners.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 /forum/post/16931321

You think so?

I had an Acer X-1200 with an Athlon X2 4850e and nVidia 8200 mGPU and it was able to playback everything smoothly without ever going past 50% CPU utilization.

Well, I guess we have to wait and see some reports from owners.

Yes, it would be great to get some first hand info.

I am sure the gpu will do fine with 1080p playback.

I am sure your Athlon X2 4850e at 2.5GHz performed fine for Hulu and HD flash. I just think that a 1.6ghz cpu may struggle with flash especially at higher resolutions.

They look like great little systems at the price point and better than atom at least. I guess we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey Folks,

I've been looking at this little system for a few weeks and decided this was my answer to replacing my old org. xbox in my mini-HT. I loot at as a major upgrade in video playback of HD and online HD source's plus that it's operation of XBMC moving around it will be so much faster. It's takes like 45seconds after a movie is stopped to get back to the library. Ever step takes awhile but I guess having over 1500 movies plus TV shows will do that to a system so old.

I see advantages like portability with some movies installed on the internal drive or any external to take it on vacation. Kinda fixes that problem of wanting to put in a 1.5TB inside the xbox and not have some problems with it during and after install. So I'll report back to you on my findings. The system comes pre-installed with linix and XBMC. According to the manufacture it does not perform well with flash on Hulu but with Win Xp it plays flawlessly. We shall see.

Have fun,

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok I got the system on Monday 10/19/2009

I will report this week on my thought and what I've have to go thru to make it functional for me. If it can be.

Cya,

C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.