AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have the MX-500 yet, but I think I will be buying it. First, have a couple of questions.

1) You can use system power to turn on/off all your devices. But what happens if you have your tv "on" and everything else is "off" and you select the system power? Does this turn your tv "off" and everything else "on"?

2) I think I understand what the macros will do for me, so tell me if you think this will work.

M1

...Power on projector

...Power on DVD player

...Power on receiver

...select DVD for audio input on receiver

...select component input for projector

...open DVD transport

All of the commands in my list have an appropriate command on the remote that came with each device, so it should be "learn-able". Hope that makes sense.

Next, and this relates to what I asked in the first question: What happens if the DVD player is already on when I execute my M1 macro? will the DVD player remain on or shutoff?

Thanks for your help!

~ Jay

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
If you've read about people buying a One for All or Radio Shack remote, or the IRClone device, in addition to the MX-500, you have touched upon the reason why: discrete codes. The macros you mention will turn components off when they're already on, making them less than reliable in every situation. However, if you can obtain discrete "On" and "Off" commands for each component, you could have macros that will always perform the correct sequence (this also often applies to TV inputs as well).

OFA/RS remotes have access to advanced codes that can often solve the problem for many of your components. There are other methods in addition to that as well. You can find ou more info on the Home Theater Master forum on Remote Central about all of the above.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Jay:

You should be able to do it if you can access discreet codes either with the remote that came with your equipment or with OFA remote or IR Clone (if someone's uploaded them). I was able to get mine from a combination of the above.

My M1 macro does the following:

Turns on my projector (which drops the screen)

Turns on my DVD changer

Turns on my receiver

Sets the receiver to DVD

Turns the DVD changer to disc 1

Sets the input on my projector to DVD

Starts the DVD

M2 does the same basic things for HD cable

M3 does the same basic things for TIVO

Power off turns everything off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.