AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one. I have had an MX-500 for a few years. Never any problems. I recently got a Sherwood-Newcastle P-965 pre-pro with a Sherwood-branded MX-500.

Although I have fully programmed both MX-500s for my system (cloned the old one from the new one), I am having difficulties when trying to control the P-965.

Specifically, the P-965 does not respond well to commands from either MX-500 when my RPTV is on. The on-the-fly channel level selector (not the level up/down key, but the button that cycles through the channels next to it) in particular does not work reliably. Aimed right at the P-965's IR receiving eye, it doesn't work at all. Aimed completely AWAY from the eye, it will respond to the first two or three pushes (and cycle through two or three channels), but then does not seem to read this button any more. The channel level OSD then times out and I have to start again. This problem gets worse on successive attempts to use it.

Most of the other commands work well, but everything works better when I aim the MX-500s in the opposite direction from where the P-965 is located. This problem does not occur with other components on either remote.

When the RPTV is off, both MX-500s work fine, even when aimed right at the IR eye of the P-965.

I have a clear line of sight to all the components. This problem gets worse as the batteries run down, but even with fresh batteries, it is still a constant problem.

What's happening? Some kind of freak IR signal interference? Can anybody please help me with this?

I have spoken to Sherwood's very helpful Jeff Hipps, but I don't think this issue has come up with anybody else, and he seems at a loss to explain or fix it. I haven't contacted Universal yet, but I would expect them to send me back to Sherwood.

Help, please!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( :confused: :( :confused:

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it only fails when your RPTV is on, perhaps you want to mention which model RPTV you have ...

Perhaps you have one of those fancy ones that is trying to do something to automate usage sending out IR signals of its own.

Any connections between the RPTV & the receiver besides the standard audio/video connectors?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stephen - It's a very old Toshiba CRT RPTV, 55". I really doubt it's trying to do anything unusual vis-a-vis the IR remote, especially since I had an MX-500 before I got the Sherwood pre-pro, and never encountered this issue until the P-965 was installed. I only have a roof antenna and S-Video cable from my pre-pro connected to it.

Thanks for trying to help. Any other ideas?:(

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's pretty bizarre, I guess I would try shielding the IR eye with some sort of cardboard tube type of thing so that it could only see emissions from the remote. See if you can pin it down to IR interference. If that doesn't work try removing the S-video cable / using composite cable & seeing how the remote behaves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.