1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hmmm... what to do, what to do? Do I pull the trigger on this baby or do I wait for the MX-700's to drop in price?

Anyone have experience with both units? Is the MX-700 worth the increased price above the MX-500? I like the thought of the MX-700 being programmable via computer, and the mini-me remote is nice too....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the HTM forum on remotecentral.com, someone was developing an interface for the MX-500 so that it could be backed up to a PC. I'm not sure about configuration.

For my money. the MX-500 is a solid remote.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy S
Check out the HTM forum on remotecentral.com, someone was developing an interface for the MX-500 so that it could be backed up to a PC. I'm not sure about configuration.

For my money. the MX-500 is a solid remote.

I saw that interface, but that puts the remote at almost $200 again, so maybe I'll hold out for the MX-700...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just tried to order one, and it shows stock as being -100.

Also, if you do a search or try to find that page any other way, it doesn't show up.

Guess that deal was too good to last. :(

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you just log onto costco page,

Go to electronics & cameras, then to Audio Accessories

this brings up the remote page,

click on the second remote listed as

Universal LCD

Learning Remote

Controls 10 Devices

That's it.

Plain as day and no gimmicks.

I did not see the -100

The first remote is the MX-1000 at $200

·
Registered
90 Posts
Apparently, as someone posted on Remote Central, the deal comes and goes depending on the availability. It's back for the moment, and they had 20 in stock when I checked. When they're out of them, the page listing is removed from the "Audio Accessories" category.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Home Theater Master is VERY closely watching the prices charged for the MX-700. I bought mine for $389 when it first came out. Now you won't find one from any authorized dealer for less than the full $500. (Like anything else, I'm sure there may be the rare exception.) The bottom line is that finding a good deal on a 700 is going to be tough.

If you can buy an MX- 500 for $100, then that is a VERY GOOD deal. IMO, if you don't need some of the 700's bells and whistles, I would jump at buying the 500 at that price.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Randy,

great pickup. I buy alot of computers etc form costco.com. I canot beleive I never looked for audio stuff. Once I remember my password I will buy one.this is cheaper then my sl900 which still works great.

One thing about costco is that you can return stuff for any reason....forever!!(computers are now every 6 months) so I will try it out but this will be an extra remote till my theater is done. I guess the sl900 goes to the bedroom now.

Thanks again

Larry

·
Registered
900 Posts
BTW Costco changes stuff all the time so if your don't see this item for a couple days it will be back. You can e-mail the customer service and they can locate whatever product you want so...............if enough of us email them for a mx-700 we might get it!!!

Larry

·
Registered
100 Posts
To those of you who have made this purchase through Costco, is the remote brand new, not refurbished, and the newest version of the remote.

Thanks,

Lon

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just got mine. They are brand new. How do you know what version. I will look at mine and tell you if you tell me what I am looking for???

Larry

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not really sure what to tell you on that. I think that what I am really asking is about the software or firmware version. I have just heard it mentioned here, but most likely these are the newest. Costco is pretty good about this. This looks to be a great remote. I went to order one, but they are currently out. Will check back!!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
I saw that interface, but that puts the remote at almost $200 again, so maybe I'll hold out for the MX-700...
You'll be holding out for a long time. The whole marketing position of the MX-700 is as a PC programmable remote that is a higher profit product (than the MX-500) for Universal Remote Control and by extension for custom installers and retailers. They have no reason to offer substantial price breaks on the MX-700, that's what the MX-500 is for - UNLESS they think they are losing lots of sales to one of the Philips Pronto models. I don't see it happening any time soon.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi someone asked about version from Costco.If you look under the battery cap you will see the version. Mine is 3.06.004. Plus there is a 7 pin plug for upgrading or downloading ohter commands and versions. On www.remotecentral.com they go into this. Not bad for $99.00.

Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.