AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The functionality of these appears very similar to me, but the Sony is 40% cheaper. I see a lot of great things written about the MX-500 but virtually nothing written about the Sony VL-1000.

Is there something I'm missing that makes the mx-500 better than the Sony?

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
The VL1000 is a nice remote for the price. The main MX-500 advantages I see are:

- backlight

- better key layout IMO

- bigger LCD display, shows 10 functions/devices per page rather than just the 4 on the Sony. Potentially a lot less scrolling between pages.

·
Registered
956 Posts
One thing I have always liked about the MX-500 is its full complement of transport buttons. Other remotes seem to always leave out the |>| buttons for song/chapter skipping. You can sometimes use the channel +/- buttons for that, but on something like an UltimateTV it's nice to have both (skip 30 sec forward/8 sec back go to |>| ). I have an RM-VL900 too, which is fairly similar in key layout, and it never quite had enough keys or the right combination for some equipment.

·
Registered
654 Posts
IMO, the Sony 1000 is just a somewhat tweaked 900. And the 900 is a good solid remote. (I set one up for a friend a year or two ago.)

But IMO, the MX-500 is whole different animal. And now, if one can spring for the extra $$, there is a PC interface for the MX-500 ( http://www.irclone.com ) You can backup your remote's settings and even swap device codes with other users. Check out the Sony forum and the Home Theater Master forums at http://www.remotecentral.com for more info.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The Sony VL900 is definitely a solid remote for the price. I didn't mean to imply that it's not a good remote, just wasn't sufficient for my needs in my primary system. In fact, I just put mine back into service on a secondary system, now that I replaced an old Carver preamp that wouldn't work with ANY existing universal remotes (proprietary frequency I believe), including the MX-500.

I've seen that IRClone website for the MX-500 and it looks VERY tempting. I think especially for buiding macros it would be very useful. I need to look for some feedback on how it's working for folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.