AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have pretty well decided that the MX-500 seems to be one of the best remotes out there for the money as a hard button remote. I have been hopping around to various forums (AVS, Theatertek, Girder, JP1 etc.) and trying to understand the process for setting it up (without having bought it yet). I could use a little help understanding the process. Hardware wise I have a Marquee 8500, HTPC running Theatertek with an Air Board(awkward during a movie), B&K preamp and assorted other IR controllable boxes. The questions come in whether I need one of these kits with the JP1 cable or whether I just get the remote and start setting it up and cross the JP1 bridge later if needed. I don't want to make a lifetime project of programming the remote. The other issue is Girder and that appears intimidating. Could someone give me a basic walk through of the steps in setting up a system like this? All tips are appreciated. Hopefully this would be useful to others getting ready to make the Remote Plunge.

Thanks,

Doyle

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Doyle: The only things I can add (in basics) is that most MX-500 users have found that to get the most out of your 500 is to teach all of the commands to it rather than using the built-in codebase. (It's not that the codebase is bad but that learning everything gives maximum flexibility.) And, that if your budget allows, the MX-500 Editor IRClone system (at http://www.irclone.com ) is worth a serious look if you want even more/easier tweaking abilities. Finally, the link listed in the post above is a good one. Daniel's Excel spreadsheet is a good tool if you learn everything (as I advocate.)

To address your question on JP1, it's really only necessary if there are discrete commands you want for your gear that you don't already have. An example would be separate on or off codes (that you currently don't have) for a TV (your's may be just a toggle on/off. Meaning that you can't build a system controlling macro that definately leaves certain gear in an on or off state.)

A growing alternative to JP1 is the IRClone system. The IRClone software allows users to import devices from other IRClone user's exported files (the files are listed on the remotecentral MX-500 File area.) As the list of files grows, there is less and less of a need for users to obtain discrete codes on their own. Someone else has likely already invented that wheel...

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.