AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently researching a remote since the one that came with the Sony 4ES is not my cup of tea. The MX-500 seems to be well thought of and I was wondering if anybody has set one up for use with the Sony 4ES and has run into limitations that would cause problems? Also, I have seen combo packages that include an OFA URC8811 remote and JP1 cable for assisting in the programming of the MX-500. Why not just use the URC8811 instead? What would be the recommended complement of associated items and some experiences regarding the MX-500/URC8811/IRClone. Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Tom

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The beauty of the MX500 is that you layout the buttons and label them as you want them. It can easily learn the codes from your 4ES remote. Most of the complaints on the 4ES remote are along the line of it not being intuitive in its layout. You can fix that with the MX500. The IRClone package allows you to layout your buttons and then just learn codes to the buttons in a very rapid fashion. Whether you will need to go the JP1 route is another question. It is more complex and will require some reading to understand how to use it. IRClone is very intuitive and runs with a nice graphical interface. If you are only trying to learn 1 remote you can also go with the MX500 alone although you can't save your setups and trying different button layouts is much more painstaking. IRClone allows you to make changes to your entire remote in a 30 second process, if you don't like it you change back to your old setup. Save as many setups as you want, mix and match until you get just what you want. I spent an hour one evening getting started and was smiling through the entire process. Long term it will control the following and I will upload appropriate files to Remote Central.

Marquee 8500 and switcher

B&K Preamp/processor

Unity Motion HD Recvr

Dish 508 Rcvr

Toshiba 31" (wife TV)

Panasonic DVD

HTPC DVD with Theatertek

Pioneer LD Player

Panasonic VCR

Lutron Grafik Eye

Stewart motorized Screen

Drapery Control

I probably won't put my popcorn popper on it. :)

..Doyle

·
Registered
654 Posts
The 8811 can work very well without the JP1 program/cable. For most users, the 8811 can create most if not all of the discrete codes we need. Personally, I found the advanced JP1 setup difficult to follow. Still, once you have the remote, getting a cable and the software is cheap, so if you want to experiment...

I cannot recommend the IRClone box and 500e software enough. It is SLICK! Easy to understand and use. And as more users come onboard the IRClone bandwagon and share their device files (over at remotecentral.com's MX-500 file area) the need for everyone to use an extra remote such as the 8811 will not be necessary. Plus, you get a backup of the MX-500 in case your's is damaged or goes bad.

I haven't setup a 4ES with an MX-500 but I did help my friend with his 5ES last year. For the most part, you should be able to set things up fine. In his case, rather than learn all of the individual soundfields, we used the 2nd remote that came with his unit and learned the soundfield + and - scroll commands. This was much simpler and has worked out great. In fact, I have already sent his scroll commands to some other IRClone and Sony receiver owners who have made use of the commands too. The file sharing has worked great! (I have submitted the codes to rc.com's MX-500 file area but Daniel has not yet posted them.)

Bottom line is that I highly recommend the MX-500 and the IRClone box/500e software. Yes, you could buy and use the 8811 (and the JP1 if you want to) but it's value is rapidly dimishing (if one can afford the IRClone.)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I highly recommend the IRClone hardware/software as well. Great execution of an idea to make a great remote even better.

However, if all you're looking for is some discretes to program macros, you can accomplish that much easier and cheaper by either picking up a Radio Shack 15-2103 for $13 (for advanced codes) or an 8811/JP1 combo for $40 that will give you access to every discrete code available. The IRClone takes everything a step further. It's costs $90, but it's the ultimate combo with the 500 and will help with any component changes you make in the future.

As with most things, it all depends on what you're looking to do and spend. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! All sounds good but what does the MX-500 give you that the 8811 or equivalent doesn't (I know I'm missing something obvious)?

Tom

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The main advantage of the MX-500 is to have every button properly labeled. For example, you won't find a "Tivo" button on an 8811 or RS remote, but on the MX-500 you can name one of the LCD-labeled buttons. Also, the MX-500 has more device, macro and learning capability, which may or may not be a necessity to you.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I just got an MX-500, and in about 30 minutes, I got it doing the majority of what I need it to do. I am probably going to redo the layout to make things easier.

I also purchased the IRClone/Edit package, so I'm looking forward to playing with that.

After the first 30 minutes, I was amazed at how good this remote is and can be.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks Rory for the nice utility. I slipped over to RC and picked up a few of the pronto CCFs and conversion was a snap. Very nice program. This remote just keeps getting better.

It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing people with Laptops on airplanes fine tuning MX-500s with IRClone instead of reading a book or watching a movie.

..Doyle

·
Registered
114 Posts
The MX-500 can't really ever be compared with Radio Shack or OFA remotes in general since they do not have anywhere near the learning capacity of the MX-500.

And, as others have mentioned, the code customisability is available using the comparatively cheap OFA/RS remotes, or the very versatile IRClone-MX along with Rory's CCF converter.

It really is a super package for us "button" remote people.

The OFA/RS remotes with the JP1 connectors can be customized a great deal as far as codes are concerned, but you have the static button layout as opposed to the user-chosen labels on the LCD of the MX series of remotes.

1) MX-500

2) MX-500 with RS/OFA remote

3) MX-500 with IRClone-MX and 500e editing software

4) MX-700 - pricey but ultimately more flexible

5) MX-800 - MX-700 with RF - will be pricey, but even more flexible

6) MX-600 - later on this year - MX-500 with RF

... Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.