AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm using it, it's basically the MX-500 with a built in RF transmitter, and the RF base station (MRF-100) is also included in the package. It works flawlessly, always sending IR and RF for every button pressed. The RF base station blasts infrared out the front of the unit, plus you may plug in the IR emitters and connect them directly to your devices as well.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more specific answers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to hide all of your components, then you'll definitely need the 600.

It comes with the RF device and 6 - 10 ft IR emitters to stick to the IR receivers on your hidden components.

However, many people have found that if they just install the RF device in the right place inside their HT cabinet, the front IR blaster on the RF device is strong enough to flood the cabinet with IR and control the components without the need for the IR emitters.

If that works for you, it makes for a less cluttered look. If you have one or two stubborn components, usually due to their having a very poor IR receiver, then you can put an IR emitter just on those.

I hope this helps.

... Greg

P.S. The RF devices that Home Theater Master is using for their MX-600, 800 and 3000 remotes are of very high quality and have excellent RF reception.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have trouble with interference with the RF reciever? I just got an MX-800 and am having ALOT of trouble with it. The Status light on the reciever flickers and stays on alot. Thinking it might be the directTivo, I unplugged it with the same results. It is a great remove if I can get this solved. Any ideas?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Robb,

If you're suffering from interference with the RF base station, try moving it a few feet from the equipment and addjusting the antenna until the inference subsides. CE will emit competing RF signals which can overwhelm RF receivers.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree with the rest. Go with the 600. You could get a 500 and a repeater, but then you would need to find a place for the IR receiver, you will need to point the remote to the IR receiver. So the question is why bother having more equipment that will also be more finicky when you can do it in one package?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anyone know if the RF base station can be purchased seperately and will it work with the MX700 which is pc programmable? Or is there another remote that has the best of both worlds? Currently own the MX500 going on 2yrs now.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The base station for the MX-600 (MRF-100) cannot currently be purchased separately, but it will be available in the near future. The MX-700 cannot be used with the base station, but the MX-800 is basically an RF version of the 700, just as the 600 is an RF version of the 500. The MX-800 can be used with multiple base stations (which are available separately) that are individually assignable (as are its IR emitters), unlike the MX-600.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
The base station for the MX-600 (MRF-100) cannot currently be purchased separately, but it will be available in the near future. The MX-700 cannot be used with the base station, but the MX-800 is basically an RF version of the 700, just as the 600 is an RF version of the 500. The MX-800 can be used with multiple base stations (which are available separately) that are individually assignable (as are its IR emitters), unlike the MX-600.
Thanks Mike. I took a look at the MX-800, but it's way out of my price range ($150-$250). My wife thought I was crazy to spend more than a hundred dollars when I bought the MX-500. Although, she likes the remote, especially not having to switch b/n different remotes, she still gets on me for not programming more macros into it. Hence, I'm looking for pc programmability to speed the process. I guess I'll have to save up for next year and plant the "we need a new remote" bug to my wife. Hopefully, by then the prices have come down on the MX-800.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
The 800 is a much better remote. But staying with the 600 means that you can clone your 500 into it (i.e. save you some work) also like Mike said you can get IRclone (around 80 that turns the 500/600 into a PC programmable remote

On the other hand

600 is around 250 + IRclone is around 80 = around 330

MX 800 open box = around 375

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey can someone tell me the advantages of going ahead and purchasing irclone and also where I could purchase. Also, do I have to make a JP-1 cable or what is exactly involved. I have had my remote for about a month and have been wanting to do some fine tuning of the remote so that any dummy could pick it up and operate it without me having to give them instruction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
IRClone can be purchased at IRClone.com, at BlueDo.com or at SurfRemoteControl.com

You do not need to have a JP1 cable. IRClone comes with an IR Send/Receive box and the software. You program the MX-600 (or 500) on the PC and then it is sent through the IR Send/Reiceive box to the MX-600 using the CLONE ALL or CLONE DEVICE option on the remote's menu.

It is very ingenious.

So, basically, you just need your MX-600 and the IRClone software/hardware setup from one of the above online retailers.

If you have already set up your MX-600 on the remote, the first thing you would do is send your configuration through the IRClone box to the PC and save it as a configuration file, so you don't have to redo your work.

Then you can make any changes you want and download it to your MX-600.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question for you MX-600 owners. Can the 100 Rf station, also be in another room, or do you need to have it close to the remote? I would like to have the rf station, downstairs along with all of the HT equipment if possible. All of this will only be about 10' away, and only under the wodden floor, about another 6-8' so I think the range should be ok, if I can hook everything up this way?

Thanks,

Dave...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.