AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both these stores (SR and BD) have the MX-800 as "Open Box" items. The price is very attractive. Which store is more reputable and reliable? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
BlueDo helps support the RemoteCentral website so I would think they are legit...

Oh yes, be sure to consider the new MX-600 (IR/RF capability but only 10 devices supported). That is enough remote for most users...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I vote for Surf Remote. I have nothing against BlueDo and have only heard good things about them, but I don't buy from anyone online that doesn't have a phone number or physical address posted on their website. Surf Remote has a toll free number, address, BBBOnline member and a top rating on Bizrate and resellerratings.com. Mike has also been on this forum for four years.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I got mine from Surf Remote. After seeing my inquiries on here, BlueDo staff did send me a private message indicating their price for the remote but I had already ordered it from SurfRemote. I'm very pleased with my MX-800. Now I have to overcome the learning curve for programming it!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
both are very reputable companies. I don't think I have ever heard any negative feedback concerning any of them, and both sites have people that help on AVS and remote central.

·
Registered
115 Posts
BlueDo constantly monitors the RemoteCentral board and replies promptly to all users questions, not only to users that purchased from them. I have purchased 3 MX-500's and a MX-800 from them. The 800 is an awsome remote. Makes me want to upgrade the 500's to 700's, but the 500's are great for the other systems I have. From what I have heard they are both very reliable vendors and I believe are both authorized by HTM.

Kris

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
both are very reputable companies. I don't think I have ever heard any negative feedback concerning any of them, and both sites have people that help on AVS and remote central.
I would second that. David from BlueDo and Mike from SRC both frequent these AVS forums and the Remote Central forums (plus others) so I don't think you'll go wrong no matter which one you select.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree - doubt you would go wrong with either one. Although it is a hair more expensive for the MX-700 open box I bought, I went with Mike because he was the one responding to my questions in a very timely manner. Knowing that his support was there and that he fully answered my questions, I felt confident buying from Surf Remote Control. I simply have not dealt with BlueDo. Nevertheless, because I have now established a business relationship with SRC, I would buy from there again. My open-box remote was exactly as described, which is to say, perfect.

Ross

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought my 700 from bluedo in May. You couldn't beat the service on the forums plus they had free overnight shipping. You'd be happy ordering from either.

-sonny

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Both are excellent to work with - I bought my MX 700 from Surf Remote, but I'd do business with BlueDo as well - they have both answered my questions with answers this "geek wannabe" could understand!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Besides the limit of 10 components, is there any other difference between the 600 and 800?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The differences in programming between the 600 and 800 are the same as the differences between the 500 and 700 which are as follows:

1. The MX-700 can control up to 20 devices, the MX-500 can control 10.

2. The 700 can have macros on any button, the 500 only on the Power On, System Off, M1-3 and 10 device buttons. The 700 can also have more steps (190) in a macro than the 500 (20), as well as more delay time between steps.

3. The 700 has 4 pages of LCD-labeled buttons per device (40 buttons), the 500 only 2 pages (20 buttons).

4. The 700 is PC-programmable so you can easily change and save your configuration, the 500 isn't without the use of an add-on device (IRClone).

5. The PC program gives you access to a large database of discrete codes, as well as the ability to obtain them from Philips Pronto files.

Those are the major differences. There are also some button differences that you may want to take note of as well. As far as the RF is concerned, the 800 can have each of its 6 wired IR emitters assigned to a specific component. With the 600, IR is sent to all components. If you want more information and details, I recommend you read the excellent reviews of both remotes on Remote Central before deciding.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
the 700 an d 800 are the same except for RF and the same for 500/600 (just thought I would add that to clarify Mikes post .

the only difference when comparing 700-500 or 800-600 is that you control what the 800 sends out, you can tell it to send out IR or both or RF, when you tell it RF you can tell it to use the blaster or any particular port. The 600 sends every command in RF and IR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you Mike. As usual you are very informative.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also thanks, AnthonyP for the clarification.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Someone had asked me about memorizing Bravo functions on the mx-700...not sure which forum it was but in case it was here, the mx-700 had no problem learning those functions nor any others...worked like a charm! The only commands that tended to be difficult to learn actually were joypad commands...any idea why, Mike (or anyone else)? Just curious.

The other big challenge was my Denon receiver---the AVR3801...even with some 7 or 8 ccf samples, I ended up memorizing most commands from the remote because they were so highly inconsistent within the various pronto ccfs I downloaded...suffice to say, that multi-function remote is one of the most confusing I had ever used and is the reason we never used it as an MF remote...it was hardly intuitive, though it was powerful and flexible.

By contrast, I really like the MX-700. I'm still tweaking, but have all the basic functionality (as well as detailed) for the Sammy HLN467W, the AVR3801 Denon Receiver (plus tuner), the Bravo D1, and a Go-Video 4060 VCR dual deck...and a Denon DCM-370 CD-Changer. I will tweak more before uploading in a few weeks but if anyone would like the MXF file, just PM me.

Ross

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hi Ross,

The problems a person might have learning commands may have nothing to do with the remote they're learning from. There are many factors that can affect learning, so it's difficult to know from these threads what the specific problem a person's having is related to.

Glad to see you have most of it set up. For your Denon receiver, the 3801 is in the IR database and seems to have many of the commands.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh, ok! Thanks. I hadn't even thought of checking that (and of course, did it the hard (fun?) way. :)

I still plan to make some tweaks as I use it and find things I want (ie. addition of various convenience macros, etc.), but it was very simple. I like the MX-700...great rec!

Ross

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
The only commands that tended to be difficult to learn actually were joypad commands
don't know what you mean by joypad, but if you mean like the "mouse" on some remotes one of the reason it is difficult to learn is that you might end up sending several different codes at the same time (i.e. going from up to upperleft to up again)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.