AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have the MX-850 do sequences and activities like harmony remotes? I want to be able to hit one button and have the receiver go one, tv, cable box, then have the remote programmed as the cable remote.

Also, does RF work without any problems. Is it more reliable then IR?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes. You can custom program macros to be "activities". When I used an 850, I put my activities on main page 1, and my devices on main page 2. Looked something like this:

MAIN PAGE 1

WATCH TV>>>
WATCH DVD>>
WATCH TIVO>
LISTN CD>>>
LISTN IPOD>

MAIN PAGE 2

WRONG PAGE!

TV DVD
CBL RCVR
TIVO

I put the "WRONG PAGE!" at the top of the device page just so if my wife happened to land on it, she wouldn't think the devices were activities.

Another nice thing about the 850 is that it's database has many descrete codes, negating the need fore the remote to "track" the status of a particular device. You can also us the Universal Browser to import HEX codes from ProntoEdit for super flexible programing.

As for RF, it depends on the RF receiver you use. The MRF-250's have been known to have some issues (they're also discontinued), but the MRF-260,300,350,and MSC-400 are very reliable.

I have since moved on, and am now using (1) MX-950 (2) MX-900's and (1) MX-350 with (2) MRF-300's to control 4 zones and 6 sources with equipment in 2 different locations. I could control everything with one of the MX-900's but I wanted to have complete control in all zones, at all times, with multiple users simultaniously if need be. My system is pretty much bullet proof.

You might want to check out remotecentral.com for more info. on the URC MX remotes. Us URC guys are definately out numbered by Harmony users here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On the MX-850 sequences and activities are called macros. And yes you can do them and set them up how you like them.

The above post is an excellent idea on how to name them. The only problem with the above is that you can only put 5 on a page since naming them takes up 2 columns. Moot point if you do not need more then 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives /forum/post/14214006

MAIN PAGE 2

WRONG PAGE!

I like that one.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_P /forum/post/14216376

The only problem with the above is that you can only put 5 on a page since naming them takes up 2 columns. Moot point if you do not need more then 5.

That was one of the main reasons I moved up to the 950 and 900's. With the "WATCH" and "LISTEN" format, and virtually unlimited pages and devices (at least way more than I need), I'm all set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts