AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe MX-950 has, among other items, a slimmer profile and a Lithium ion rechargeable battery. It looks like it doesn't have the centrally located "Main" button that the 850 has.

I'd use the remote along with the MRF-300 and the separate RFX-150 RF Sensor. Ignoring cost differences, is there any preference in remotes for use only in my HT?

Take Aim

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The 950 supports variables (like the MX-3000) that allow for a lot of cool and useful capabilities. For example, variables can be used to track the state of a components that don't have discrete power codes, thus creating psuedo discrete commands. I use variables on my MX-3000 extensively.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Here's a list of differences:

- 255 device capacity with 255 pages per device

- multiple color choices for backlighting of screen (and much brighter as well)

- ability to use a single column of text as well as two

- ability to program macros with variables

- hide text on pages

- ability to use graphics (limited)

- ability to use sound (.wav) files in macros

- rechargeable Li-ion battery and charging station

- can put both FF (or REW) and chapter skip commands on the "Back" and "Ahead" buttons

Attached are pictures showing the great backlighting, alone and compared with an MX-850.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about ergonomics? Is there any difference when using the hard buttons by feel? Is the mx 950 a one-handed remote or must one use one hand to hold the remote and a second to navigate and select? Anyone tried both remotes? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The 950's a one-handed remote. The buttons have a more solid feel to them when pushed than the MX-850 buttons do. More of a "click" feel to them (although there's no audible click). They're the same as the MX-3000 hard buttons.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC
(although there's no audible click).
There is if you program a wav for each button press. A difference of the 950 lie you stated in your previous post

·
Registered
497 Posts
Out of curiousity Mike,

do you like the MX 950 in comparison to the 850 and 3000?

Have you had some hands-on experience w/ it?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I use both the 850 and 3000 at home and I've had the 950 for a few months now (I'm a beta tester for URC). I'm thinking about replacing the 850 with the 950, because I really like the screen brightness and the dual function "Back" and "Ahead" rockers for my Tivos. Also, the graphics and variable abilities are nice to have.

Quote:
There is if you program a wav for each button press.
Right. I was referring to a mechanical click that you get with the buttons on some remotes (the Harmony 688 comes to mind)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mike, Is button spacing and size similar between the 2 remotes? If not, how does this affect ease of use by feel? Most of our TV watching is with the satellite/ DVR box (Dish 921) so there are a significant number of discrete functions (I calculate around 16-18) that need hard button access. Which remote (850 or 950) is likely to work best in that situation? Thanks,

David

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC
Here's a list of differences:

- 255 device capacity with 255 pages per device

- etc.
I understand that the 950 has all of the things you list, but I am not familiar enough with the 850 to know what the actual DIFFERENCES are. Taking you literally, your list implies that the 850 has zero device capacity and zero devices per page, because the difference between the 850 and the 950 is 255 of each...or does the 850 have ten, and the 950 has 265?

That comparison sounds silly, even to me, but I don't know what you are comparing to because you don't list a thing about the 850.

Thanks so much for the pictures. I have been looking for an image somewhere of the 950, and these are the first two I have found.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HomeThtrLA,

universalremote (then the period com) slash products is their site I use to evaluate the differences but am still learning. I can't post links yet sorry but I'm sure you get the link.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeThtrLA
I understand that the 950 has all of the things you list, but I am not familiar enough with the 850 to know what the actual DIFFERENCES are. Taking you literally, your list implies that the 850 has zero device capacity and zero devices per page, because the difference between the 850 and the 950 is 255 of each...or does the 850 have ten, and the 950 has 265?
Sorry, being on this forum for so long, I knew the orignal questioner knew what the 850 has. the 859 has 20 device capability with 4 pages per device. The rest of the items on the list above are only available on the 950.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I ended up returning the 950 and buying an 850. I always loved my mx-500 and just wanted a little more flexibility, when I saw the 950, the cool factor was over the top but comparatively, it is a poor value compared to the 850, $300 or so more for some sounds, backlighting, being able to script more letters, etc. The 950 would lock up a lot for me, I had to reset it often, but most importantly, the 850 just has a better "feel". The mx-500 was such a breakthrough and success, I didn't think getting the 850 as an upgrade to my mx-500 would be that exciting but after owning the 950, I missed the "feel" of the the 500. So far the 850 offers the best of both worlds, it definitely feels like an upgrade over the 500 and is not as quirky as the 950.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're right about the "feel" soldonandy, the 850 feels better compared to the 950. I'm using the 950 now because its gives me more power to control my A/V equipment and program it in such a way that it would be easier for anybody in the house to relax using it.

Three of my components have toggle power ON/OFF while the rest have discrete. I had gone to lot of headaches in the past because the long macros sometimes misfired. My guest seemed to get intimidated and feel guilty whenever they make a mistake using my 700. Most of them said that "How come it's only you who can use that remote?" :eek: There was no way to program it as friendly as possible. Now after getting the 950, it seems that everything is fully automated. ;)

Everything is activity based. The macros that control the activities are a lot smarter now because of the use of variables. When we are watching DVD and someone plays with the remote, if that person presses the activity associated with TV, he gets a prompt message saying "DVD is active, proceed?" since he knows that we are currently watching DVD then he will answer NO by pressing the button associated with it. All the other buttons except for the YES are disabled. This logic applies if the OFF button is pressed, a prompt "shutdown A/V system?" will have to be answered.

Power user mode if much more achieved now because you can restrict access to jump selection screens. Supposing if we are watching cable right now and we need to modify the surround settings, pressing the jump button ordinarily raises an error message saying "use of function is prohibited" (non-savvy users are not supposed to use jump feature) and holding the jump button for three seconds puts the savvy user to the jump screen which is smart enough to know that since we are watching cable, the only possible jumps allowed would be TV monitor, cablebox, and receiver, so only those devices will be shown on the jump screen. If you really need to see all the devices which you could jump to then pressing and holding the jump button at the main 'watch' and 'listen' activity screens will take you there.

This feature which restricts the user from directly accessing devices (empowers then not to commit mistakes) as well as making it easier for them the use my A/V equipment through 'smart' activity macros has really been a win/win solution for me and my friends. :cool:

I just wished that the touch and feel of the 950 would also be like the 700 or 800 or 850 then I wont have any more complaints. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I disliked the 950 for many of the reasons spellbinder pointed out, but I really like my 850. I don't have a lot of people playing with my remote (which I wouldn't like regardless of the remote), so I prefer the remote does what I tell it rather than asking if I'm sure that's what I want. I do wish the backlight and contrast had a broad range of adjustments on the 850, and the slight hum when the backlight is on annoys me at times, but other than that I have no complaints. In fact I bought an 850 for my mother to replace her 5 remotes in her HT, and she loves it. She isn't the most technically savvy individual so that says a lot about how simple the 850 can be made to be. If you use the backlight a lot, I would recommend rechargeables. I picked up some NiMh AAA, and they last me for about 4 months between charges, but I don't use the backlight a lot.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbinder()
You're right about the "feel" soldonandy, the 850 feels better compared to the 950. I'm using the 950 now because its gives me more power to control my A/V equipment and program it in such a way that it would be easier for anybody in the house to relax using it.

Three of my components have toggle power ON/OFF while the rest have discrete. I had gone to lot of headaches in the past because the long macros sometimes misfired. My guest seemed to get intimidated and feel guilty whenever they make a mistake using my 700. Most of them said that "How come it's only you who can use that remote?" :eek: There was no way to program it as friendly as possible. Now after getting the 950, it seems that everything is fully automated. ;)

Everything is activity based. The macros that control the activities are a lot smarter now because of the use of variables. When we are watching DVD and someone plays with the remote, if that person presses the activity associated with TV, he gets a prompt message saying "DVD is active, proceed?" since he knows that we are currently watching DVD then he will answer NO by pressing the button associated with it. All the other buttons except for the YES are disabled. This logic applies if the OFF button is pressed, a prompt "shutdown A/V system?" will have to be answered.

Power user mode if much more achieved now because you can restrict access to jump selection screens. Supposing if we are watching cable right now and we need to modify the surround settings, pressing the jump button ordinarily raises an error message saying "use of function is prohibited" (non-savvy users are not supposed to use jump feature) and holding the jump button for three seconds puts the savvy user to the jump screen which is smart enough to know that since we are watching cable, the only possible jumps allowed would be TV monitor, cablebox, and receiver, so only those devices will be shown on the jump screen. If you really need to see all the devices which you could jump to then pressing and holding the jump button at the main 'watch' and 'listen' activity screens will take you there.

This feature which restricts the user from directly accessing devices (empowers then not to commit mistakes) as well as making it easier for them the use my A/V equipment through 'smart' activity macros has really been a win/win solution for me and my friends. :cool:

I just wished that the touch and feel of the 950 would also be like the 700 or 800 or 850 then I wont have any more complaints. :rolleyes:
I appreciate your point of view and I know what you mean when you say that people in your household feel that you are the only one who can figure out the remote. When my mother in law comes over to watch the kids, I cringe because she always gets so screwed up with the remote even though I feel that I have arranged it in a manner that anyone could understand.

Largely, the 850 does the same things as the 950 and again, handling the remote and the overall "feel" is really high up on my priority list. At the end of the day, the charging station sounded better than it actually was to me because having to dock it all the time was more of a hassle then putting batteries in every 6 months with my old MX. Also, I felt that although you can customize the screen on the 950 a little better and it may be a little more intuitive to a beginner for the reasons you mentioned, I can still effectively lay out and label macros in a way that everyone in my house can understand. The combination of that flexibility to arrange the macros, superior feel and reliability made the 850 an easy choice, the icing on the cake was that it was $300 less. For $50 or $100 more the "cool factor" of the 950 would override the quirkiness but for several hundred dollars more, the 950 represented a poor value to me. There is no wrong or right with remotes, it just depends on what you are looking for and how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Will the mx-850 work with an MRF-100? I have that and the mx-600 now and am thinking of upgrading. Or should I get the mrf200 or mrf300? Are they that much better? thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.