AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to playing with my MX3000 started to do the programing and the 70 pages or whatever of the progaming manual has my head spinning. The manual doesn't seem to follow a logical path to getting this thing programed. Maybe it's just me? I searched for help on the subject but didn't come up with much does anyone know of simpler programing instructions??? :confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dude, please figure this one out! You have until October 1st! That's when we move into our new house and HT :)

I got the MX-3000 with all the goodies for $715 off some e-tailer...

I'm sure I'm going to need help too :(

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The easiest way is to start with one of the default graphics setups, deleting any devices you don't have. Use the "Program" pulldown and follow the steps in their numbered order. Using the IR database, find your components by make and model (or one that's close) and assign the IR commands. Download to the remote and try the commands. Refer to the manual only after you'd tried mucking about yourself. Also, there are files you can download from remotecentral.com to give you ideas. If you purchased from an authorized dealer, they should be glad to help you with it (and should know how).

Finally, be thankful you didn't get a Pronto TSU7000 that has no programming manual to help you. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda got it figured out. It was a whole lot easier to just figure it out then to follow the manual as you said. I used the manual only when I got stuck here or there. I haven't gotten into the macros or the rf part yet put I designed some pretty cool templets from dvd cases designed my own buttons and got all my stuff working. I feeling pretty Damn manley right about now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mark,

I bought mine about 2 months ago from Ebay think I paid about $750 with the RF thing too. Don't really remember though. But it has been sitting all that time while I finish my HT and it is getting real close to being done just finsihed my riser tonight and carpet coming in tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My remote came today in the mail :)

Just installed the software on the computer, plugged it all up... damn this is hard!

I tried renaming a couple buttons, like "Audio" to "Denon" and "TV" to "Sharp", also tried to change the name of "MAIN" to "Mark"...

I can change the "Main" name on the computer screen... but when I send it to the device, nothing happens... nothing changes?

I managed to rename the buttons on the computer screen... but "Denon" is overlaid on top of Audio, I couldnt delte the audio text?

I read the manual and it highly recommends using a professional A/V installer... no $hit!

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The default MAIN page button graphics have the text as part of the graphic, that's why you can't get rid of it. You need to use a graphics editing program to do that. Make sure to save your changes before you download.

BTW, any authorized dealer couldn't have given you a deal about equal to Ebay and you would have wound up with tech support as well as a warranty from URC. Just a little food for thought. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Guy I bought mine from is an authorized dealer and I got the tech support and all that I just hate calling for tech support seems like everytime I call tech support for anything I end up with more problems than when I started. I feel better off asking for help on the froum or figuring it out myself just my .02

Mark once you get the hang of it is really simple and you will be amazed at how much you can do with this thing. For that main button just create a new button just like you would for a web page. Basically, Progaming is very similar to creating a basic web page. I did a quick web search for free buttons and came up with a bunch of sites and a ton of buttons found one that I liked saved it. When you click on a button in the editor software it will tell you what size the button is in the lower right side of the screen. I then used Adobe photoshop elements to change the size of the button to the same size as the one that I want to replace I added a name to it and saved it. Then deleated the button on the MX3000 and replaced with the one I made. Sounds kinda confusing but it is is quite simple. I made all the buttons and changed backgrounds. If you go to remotecentral.com thereare even complete templets that you can download and use if you don't want to make your own.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for the heck of it I went back and checked my PayPal records I paid $645.00 for the MX3000 wtih MRF-250.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
FYI, there are no authorized dealers on Ebay and warranty coverage is excluded by URC. By tech support, I meant from the dealer.

Regardless, you can get plenty of help on this forum and Remote Central if you have any questions. BTW, once you get things generally set up, the use of variables can really make the MX-3000 sing. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike, You are correct I looked up the Ebay auction where I bought mine and they say nothin about being authorized although they sell of ton of these things. I wonder how they get them? Anyway the store offered a one year replacement Garuantee and tech support from them. I felt comfortable buying from them since they had sold tons of mx3000 had over 6000 postive feedbacks and a rating of like 99.5% plus the price seemed really good too. So far it has worked out well no problems (knock on wood) Don't get me wrong if I had an authorized seller near me that could come within $100 of the price I would have bought from them but I don't that know of so If I am going to gamble and order on the internet I though I might as well take my chances ordering from this guy since at least he can prove that he has over 6000 happy customers. Kinda of a roll of the dice either way in my eyes.

Mark,

Here is the link to those templets from remote central some of them are pretty cool
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ems&br=contest

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the referral to remotecontrolcentral.com...

Guess what I found there?

The stinkin' programming manual for the MX-3000! I got the owners manual, and the installation manual for the MRF-300/RFX-250... but I DIDNT get the programming manual.

I downloaded it and printed it... it'll give me something to read this week :) No wonder I couldnt figure out how to program the darn thing from the limited info I had...

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
I also got one of these early this year and to me, there's a steep learning curve. I found the manual to be absolutely essential. Unfortunately, I agree it is not written in a concise, linear way. I ended up reading it "cover-to-cover", then started hands-on programming, referring to sections as needed. Once you get going, it's not too bad, but I haven't yet tackled serious macros.

It's time consuming until you get the hang of it, since you have to get the IR codes, check them to see what they really do, delete, organize, and assign codes to the buttons in a logical way. The default button assignments to me were not always the best organized graphically. I spent many hours better re-organizing the pages, button layouts, and moving things around after the IR codes were assigned.

The other time sink can be programming the IR time pulses so that they are reliably received by the IR receiver (if not using RF) and activate the device reliably from the seated position: strictly trial & error. This is really important for creating macros with multiple code sequences.

Recently, I've purchased one of the GUIWERKS templates for making the remote more activity oriented (watch TV, setting the AV receiver, listen to CD, etc), rather than device oriented, but haven't yet taken time to program the macros.

Start simple, and go slow, step-by-step and your efforts will be rewarded. Despite the time involved, it's well worth it. I have put all but 1 other remote in a drawer, and use the MX3000 for everything, even lights. This is the next best thing to a Crestron-type controller IMO.

www.remotecentral.com

and taking time to read the programming manual will be your friends. Plus you can download others' graphics & layouts. Some really fancy stuff.

ss9001

·
Registered
452 Posts
do any authorized retailers have this remote for less than $999? Tweeter is having a 15% off sale on all their remotes including the mx-3000 so I can get it for $900 after taxes. Id love to get a few more bucks off that price. What prices ar eyou guys paying from authorized retailers?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't have a remote yet, but I'm looking around. Not wanting to spend forever, raise my blood pressure, and become a programmer, the above discussion leads me to wonder if an MX-950 with the MRF-300 become a good alternative. Maybe it doesn't do everything, but maybe I can get the remote to do something in a reasonable time frame.

Take Aim

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
buggdog,

MikeSRC (see above) is an authorized dealer. I bought my MX-3000 (and MRF-300 base station) from him and the service and price were awesome. He should be able to set you up nicely. He can only list retail prices on his website, so call or email him first ;-)

See his website at www.surfremote.com .

Dino

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.