AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light button on my mx500 now works only when it feels like it...

Does anyone know how to open this thing up so that I can take a better look at it ?

The button is definitely the only problem....it's just not sitting right, and not making good contact with the switch......

Thanks for any help anyone can give...

Shelly

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
The button pushes a small microswitch on the circuitboard that sometimes breaks free. You may be able to repair it if you open the MX-500, but I don't recommend doing so. HTM will fix it under warranty if you call Mike Gifford at (800)-901-0800 or email him at [email protected] .

To open the MX-500, you have to grab both ends firmly and twist until the top and bottom halves unsnap. It's not easy and gives you the feeling that you've going to break it, which you potentially could.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike....

I got the remote from Surf Remote Control, but unfortunately, it is out of warranty now....

I did get it apart and found the problem.... the microswitch is fine, but the little plastic "light" button is broke....

The 2 little tabs on either side of the button are broken, so all I need is the plastic button....

hmmmmmm..

Any way I could get one of those and replace it ?

Thanks...

Shelly

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed Home Theater Master, and am trying to get a new button.

I've heard good things about their customer service, so hopefully, I'll get this fixed, as the remote is terrific.....

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks

Shelly

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Even if it's out of warranty, HTM will fix it for you at a low price. If you can't get a hold of Mike, ask for Lars. Also, tell them where you bought it. ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike.

I got it at Surf Remote Control over a year ago.....

Does it have to be sent in?

If I can just get the button sent to me, I can fix it....

Thanks

Shelly

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask. They might just send you the button. I only mentioned to say where you bought it because most of the guys there know me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Mike emailed me back and said that I should send the remote to them to fix it.....

I'd rather not do that, as I need the remote to control the system...and my wife REALLY needs it.......

I emailed him back and told him all I need is the "light" button....

It seems ridiculous to send the remote in to be fixed, when I can do it myself....all I need is the button......

I offered to send a check to cover the cost of the part, and shipping.....

I don't think what I'm asking for is unreasonable.....

Is it ?

To be honest, I was hoping for better customer service.......

We'll see what happens

Shelly

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....

I was hoping for better customer service.

They won't send me the button that I need, and insist I send in the remote to be fixed.....

It will cost $15... not including the shipping...

Not very good customer service if you ask me....

Shelly

·
Registered
90 Posts
I understand your frustration, but HTM has no idea of whether you're capable of fixing the remote yourself. It's the same situation as most electronic components that state "No user replaceable parts inside". Shipping out replacement parts for a device that's not meant to be opened could create a legal nightmare for them. That's why if they just fix the remote for you themselves, they have control of the situation.

I think $15 dollars to repair an out of warranty product that lists for $190 is a pretty good deal and good customer service.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. $15 repair plus probably another $15-$20 in shipping for the remote when a button that could go in an envelope would strike most people as a high but understand that HTM makes no money on the deal. The alternative is to live with it as is, fix the button yourself, send the remote in and be without it for a couple weeks, buy another MX500 and clone the old one to the new one or to keep complaining and having a bunch of personal frustration about it. To me the last option would be the worst choice for me. In the end it is still a great remote and they are willing to fix it for a nominal fee.

..Doyle

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well... end of story....

I fixed it myself.....

I took a little piece of flexible plastic, cut it to the right size, superglued it to the button, and it works great.....

Actually, it is sturdier than it was originally....

The little pins on either side of the button were pretty flimsy...

I still think they could have sent a new button...

I mean c'mon.... no user replaceable parts.... gimme a beak...

It's a plastic button in a remote control.....

It's not like its a TV, or an amp where there could be the potential for high voltages....

Anyway.... It works again :)

Shelly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.