AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a hard button remote that can handle all of the functions of the Denon 5800/5803.

Has anyone used the MX500 or MX700 with the Denon 5800 or 5803?

I originally started with the Denon RC8000 and swithced to the Pronto TSU2000 - I find the Pronto easy to program and use, but really do not like the LCD screen type remote.

I have read about the MX500 and MX700, but I am trying to figure out how I can fit all the commands I use (and I use alot of them) for the Denon onto the limited 2 screens for each component of the MX500 and 700.

I use zone 1 and zone 2 plus extended direct access functions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
The 700 also handles 20 devices and allows macros on any button. With the 500, if you don't have 10 devices, you can use two of them for your Denon. Just use one of them for Surround settings or however you want to separate the commands.

·
Registered
654 Posts
CycloneMike: I own both a 700 and a couple of 500's (one of the 500's is in a second system.) As you probably already know, there are several differences but as the guys have stated above, the 700 has more memory (for macros, 2 extra pages per device and support for 10 more devices.) The 700 comes with it's own PC interface (in fact it MUST be used with it to get it to work) and it even comes with a cute little "simple" remote, the MX-200. (The 200 can be used by kids/guests etc. to watch TV and such.)

The 500, as it was originally intended, was (and still is) a remote that can be setup using either pre-programmed device codes or can be taught codes from a user's existing remotes. It does not need a PC to do any of this. But some very clever users over at remotecentral.com have come up with a PC interface box and program (called IRClone http://www.irclone.com ) that allows a 500 to talk to a PC. This allows a way to backup one's settings, exchange codes with other users, make changes to one's own setup and download the changes to the remote in just a few seconds. There is a cost to the IRClone setup ($90) but IMO, it is worth every penny. IRClone has made the 500 a much more powerful and user friendly remote.

This brings me back to which one would work best for you. I run a Denon 3803 in my main setup and for the past year, I used an MX-700 with it and it worked well. But recently, I have switched back to the 500 and don't intend to go back to the 700. I don't know how many more keys (if any) the 5803 would need/or use but unless you have ten full devices, it's doubtful that you would need more than the 500 can deliver. (Of course, one other important consideration is the 700's much higher number of available macros. But in my case, the 500 does way more than I need/use.)

Why did I switch back to the 500? First and foremost, I was never happy with the PC software (MX Editor) that works with the 700. I found it user un-friendly when I first bought it and still do today. So when the IRClone package became available, I followed several users stories closely to see how they were getting along. When everything seemed to be getting along fine, I ordered the IRClone package and have been very happily surprised at how well it works. There is little documentation out for IRClone and yet is is sooo easy to figure out. Within just a few short minutes, I had completed my 1st backup and began tinkering with the file. After a short while, I re-evaluated my remote "needs" and made the permanent switch back to the 500.

My personal feelings are that if the 500 will suffice, you can get a very powerful remote and great PC connectivity for a little over $200. If the 500 ends up not being enough, then an extra hundred bucks or so will get you more memory (and the extras that it can provide) in the 700.

(A great tool to help see what the 500 can be setup to do is Daniel Tonk's Excel spreadsheet from remotecentral.com. It's at http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...xls&area=mx500 This spreadsheet will allow you see how your setup might look like if you could load an MX-500 the same way. Especially handy if it looks like you might run out of keys.)

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also use an MX500 with the Denon 3803. I set up Zone2 as a second device, so I can independently select inputs and volume; and, the zone2 volume is on the hard buttons where I like it.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the trigger. Bought the MX500 from Surf... and the IRClone software. If it does not work out I guess Surf.. will be getting a remote back and the IRClone will go on sale in this forum at a discount. In either case I will hold onto my TSU2000 until all is complete relative to programming.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have no fear. You won't be sending either of them back.

I was a beta tester for the MX-500 a couple of years ago, and a beta tester for the IRClone-MX.

You won't be sorry.

I personally use the MX-700 (just got my MX-800 with RF to test today) because of the ability to put macros on all buttons. I use the FAV area for my DSP's, etc.

But, the MX-500 is great! The MX-500/IRClone combo is very cool! And the MX-700 is for more equipment and better control due to each button having a macro. I didn't really understand the difference of the MX-700 until I put mine config. together and realized that even a 2-step macro on a button can do wonderful things, especially for PVR devices, non-discrete codes, etc.

Anyway, I digress......... you'll love you MX/MX combo!

... Greg

P.S. Don't forget that there are a couple of CCF to .m5 file converters out. I believe they are both on IRClone.com and at least one is on Remote Central.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I just set up a MX-700 last night and I tell you what.

Ill still go with the MX-500 hands down. I think its so much easier and it does everything you can think of. I personally dont see the need for the MX-700 or the need to program these with a computer except that that is the only way to program the MX-700 which makes it a lot more work and a higher expensive if I sell one with a system.

I have the MX-500 down to a science as far as how my clients will use it and how to initially set them up. They are the best remotes on the planet as far as Im concerned.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
One word re: the MX-700 over the MX-500: MACROS! :D

I have at least twice as many macros on my MX-700 (and my 800) as the MX-500 is capable of. That being said, the MX-500 is obviously a cheaper and easier to use option for many customers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mike has the MX-800 for beta testing, as do I. It is the RF version of the MX-700. It should be on sale within a month, is my guess.

I think the custom installers will love this one.

Also, later this year, the MX-600 will be out, which is the MX-500 with RF, so some custom installers will love that one also.

The MX line will be one great line! I know I love my MX-800 even more than the 700, but if I only had access to a 500, I'd still have one of the best remotes on the market - if not the best.

My brother bought an MX-500 and loves it so much he tells me about it almost every time we meet.

... Greg

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Mike, couldn't one buy three MX-500's for the price of the MX-700? Also, who sells the MX-800?
True, but the idea is to get down to only one remote. :D

I know what you mean though, the 500 is obviously a much better value. I still have one of the first 500s and it's still going strong. Greg is correct about the 800, but it will be on the market in a month or so.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mroll
True, but the idea is to get down to only one remote. :D
Yeah, I know. But the MX-700 kit breaks that notion by supplying two remotes.
Quote:
I know what you mean though, the 500 is obviously a much better value. I still have one of the first 500s and it's still going strong. Greg is correct about the 800, but it will be on the market in a month or so.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
True, but the idea is to get down to only one remote
so Mike do you only have (or even use) one universal at home.

I thought the idea was to get rid of all the crappy remotes and then replace them with the same number of cool universals.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Okay, okay, I was joking! That's what the :D was for.

I meant only one universal remote of each type, of course.

Anthony, I only use one remote . . . at a time. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I only use my MX-800, but line up all the rest of my expensive universal remotes on the love seat so that people can go WOW when they come over! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.