Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Have been a happy owner of an mx500 for a couple of years (Thanks Mike SRC) but it is time to get new equipment and I don't want to have to reconfigure without PC control over the remote.

Can anyone give me the differences between the mx700 and mx850. Let me start off by saying that I do not need RF but I like the select button on the mx850. I also believe that the mx850 will learn the toggle bits which I need for my Phillips DVD player. Since neither have the chapter advance buttons that the mx500 has, that is not an issue. I realize that the 850 is a bit more money but what do you get extra for that money

Thanks

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Other than the RF, separate center select button and toggle bit learning, the only other difference is better backlighting ot the LCD screen. With the MX-700, the text is lit, making it difficult to read in interim lighting conditions. With the 850, the text stays dark and the background lights up, which is much easier to read.

Regarding the toggle bits, if your Philips DVD player is in the MXEditor IR database (or available in the Pronto or MX-700 file on Remote Central), you won't need the toggle bit learning feature.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. Any idea why HTM left out the chapter advance buttons on the newer remotes? They obviously weren't thinking about Tivo owners. They are great for skip back and skip forward

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I have 5 Tivos in my house, so I'm with you on that. Basically, they didn't want any of the dual labeling you have on the MX-500 with those keys, so they made the decision to go with Menu and Exit rather than |>|. I use the bottom two LCD buttons for those functions.

With the MX-700, 800 or 850, you can make the FF and REW buttons do chapter skip forward and reverse, or have them do both by shortcutting to a push-and-hold macro.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Here's the best explanation of toggle bits (aka parity bits): Parity Bits

Not that many components use them (mostly Philips), but when they do, they're a ***** to learn.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC
With the MX-700, 800 or 850, you can make the FF and REW buttons do chapter skip forward and reverse, or have them do both by shortcutting to a push-and-hold macro.
Hey Mike,

How do you do the push-and-hold macros? I read the manual, but it's rather short and just says, "Yes, you can do it."

Here's what I'm doing (and it's not working, so I probably am misunderstanding how something works).

I created a new blank page on my DVD device and put a Macro on one of the LCD buttons that consists of: Hold 0.3 seconds, chapter forward. I then clicked on the LCD button and tried ragging it to the FF button, but nothing appears to happen when I do that... I exepcted to see a macro and normal label on the button, but I don't.

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

CW

PS: Am I the only one annoyed that they moved the Play button BELOW the joystick instead of above it like it was on the MX500? Argh, I hate that...

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
You need to have both the FF command and the push-and-hold macro on the LCD button (use the LEARN & MACRO listing in the pulldown on the Edit and Label Buttons window). Then, assign the LCD button to the FF button in the Edit and Label Buttons panel, using the Device and IR code pulldowns.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
You need to have both the FF command and the push-and-hold macro on the LCD button (use the LEARN & MACRO listing in the pulldown on the Edit and Label Buttons window). Then, assign the LCD button to the FF button in the Edit and Label Buttons panel, using the Device and IR code pulldowns.
Why do I have the feeling that I'm missing something that everyone else already understands? :(

How do I give the soft LCD button a specific IR code without learning? I tried clicking the LCD button, selecting the DVD device, then selecting FF as the IR code, but it's just creating a shortcut. If I then try creating a macro, it overrides the shortcut... Is there no way to move the functions from the IR database around without making shortcuts? There has to be, I'm probably just missing something obvious.... :(

As a test, I even tried putting a macro on an LCD button from the IR database -- but the code seems to disappear and is replaced solely by the Macro.

Please shed some light on what I'm missing? :( This dual-function button thing shouldn't be this hard! Thanks.

CW

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid
Is there no way to move the functions from the IR database around without making shortcuts? There has to be, I'm probably just missing something obvious.... :(
You're not. It's a shortcoming in the MXEditor software for the MX-700/800/850. The only way you can move a preprogrammed command is from one LCD button to another in the same device. Anything else creates a shortcut. The newer remotes (950, 3000) allow for the programming of single button with IR database commands, but it's not available on MXEditor yet. The easiest way to solve this is to use yout Tivo remote to teach the FF command to one of the LCD buttons.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
You're not. It's a shortcoming in the MXEditor software for the MX-700/800/850. The only way you can move a preprogrammed command is from one LCD button to another in the same device. Anything else creates a shortcut. The newer remotes (950, 3000) allow for the programming of single button with IR database commands, but it's not available on MXEditor yet. The easiest way to solve this is to use yout Tivo remote to teach the FF command to one of the LCD buttons.
Great, thanks! I finally have a learned & macro button that works. :)

One (hopefully) last question. Right now with the learned & macro button, when I press and hold it still sends the learned code first, then sends the macro. Is there any way to have it only send the learned code on a tap, and NOT on a hold? Or am I out of luck on that?

Thanks!

CW

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
You're out of luck. It's been a requested feature since the beginning, but it's never been implemented.
Thanks a lot for the info, I think I have a good grasp of what I'm doing now (and what the limitations of the software are). I don't understand why they don't improve the software just a bit -- this remote is really good, but could be 10x better with the ability to move IR database codes to different buttons, as well as the push&hold macro thing. Oh well, it still rocks. :)

Thanks again!

CW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.