AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my Pro Epson 1080 ub allot. I'ts still under i'ts 4 year warranty and I still have my spare bulb it came with unused but I can't help but feel I'm missing out on an even better picture that an anamorphic lens would provide but alas this projector does not have required stretch feature. I could live without anamorphic; a brighter picture isn't a big deal for me since I can put my projector on a brighter setting when watching 2.40 stuff, but I feel the increased clarity would be very nice. My 1080ub is ceiling mounted. Assuming I can get an external processor to provide the stretch feature an anamorphic lens needs, will I be able to attach a lens to my ceiling mounted 1080ub? What do I need to do when switching to 16:9 content? Can someone advise on me how to acquire an external device for stretching that is reasonably priced? Is now a good time to buy a good lens? Will there be newer projectors that come along soon that have a lens included and don't need to buy an external lens? I might wait for one of those. I could defenantly hold out with what I have for a while yet if there was something worth waiting for to be released shortly. An alternative is to sell my 1080 ub and get something else anamorphic compatible. Is there a great performer on the market right now that I could swap out for my 1080ub without taking too much of a financial loss? I don't know what I could get for my 1080ub. A $1000 maybe? I think it cost me 3k. Thanks in advance for reading!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
While I'm certainly an advocate of getting a new projector (I'll be receiving my 4th in 3 years, this time an Anthem LTX500, replacing my Panasonic ae3000u), I can completely understand your wanting to keep a well-functioning, well-regarded projector. One way you could add v-stretch capability to your Epson that's fairly cost-effective is with an external video processor, such as the DVDO Edge (PM me if you decide to go this route, as I've got one that I've removed from my system and could offer to you at a good deal). You could then add on an anamorphic lens.

Not sure about mounting the lens on your Epson, since you don't mention what type of mount you're using. Use of the lens with different aspect ratios would involve setting the projector up for 16:9 material without use of the lens. When you watch a movie with a 2.35:1 AR, you'd employ the v-stretch through the Edge, and then put the anamorphic lens in the light path to horizontally widen the image. Panamorph makes an IR-controlled lens body that stays in front of the projector lens, but moves the glass out of the way when not in use. Conversely, other lenses use a slide, either manual or powered, that moves the entire lens body into and out of the light path. So, obviously, to go back to 16:9 material, you'd remove the lens from the light path, deactivate v-stretch, and you're done.

Have you tried the "poor-man's" anamorphic technique? If you're using a 2.35:1 screen, it's simply a matter of setting the projector up for 16:9 material centered on the screen (picture complete from top to bottom of the screen, but black bars on either side). When you watch a 2.35:1 movie, without changing anything else on the projector, you'll have those black bars on the top and bottom of the image. The poor man's method with this AR is to zoom the entire picture (zoom the projector lens) to push the top and bottom black bars off of the top and bottom edges of the screen. As this is done, the picture itself will widen to each edge of the 2.35:1 screen. Then you need to re-focus (and possibly shift the picture up/down or left/right as needed). The Panasonic ae3000u and ae4000u has a lens memory feature where you can do this for different aspect ratios, and save them in their own settings. So instead of doing all of the above manually everytime, you'd simply go to the preset lens memory you want and the projector will do the rest for you automatically. I actually use it quite a bit on my ae3000u, and it works really well. I went with the Anthem LTX500 to replace it because my Pioneer Elite 151 plasma has spoiled me with its black level, and I want to come as close to that with my projector setup. I'll do the poor-man's technique manually until/unless I get sick of it, and then go with an outboard lens down the road.

Resale value of projectors is not the best, considering the advances all the manufacturers make every year, while lowering their own prices. The price you might get depends largely on how many hours are on the bulb, but providing the spare as part of the deal will help.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is 2 pics of my ceiling mounted 1080ub. The mount was included with my 1080 pro UB. The ceiling is concrete and took forever to drill through. Is my setup conducive to affixing on an anamorphic lens? If so any great ones on sale?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts