AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like no matter what the aspect ratio of the dvd I put in I never get the full pannel of the LCD to show image. For instance if I watch "Mystery, Alaska", which is shot in 2.35:1 I get black bars at the top and the bottom and the faces look natural. This is expected because it is shot in a ratio larger then 16:9, but when I play "Commando", which is shot in 16:9 (1.85:1), I get the same black bars at the top and bottom but this time the image looks squeezed in the faces. No matter what settings I try to change on the projector and the DVD player it never seems to make a difference. If I have the projector aspect Ratio set to zoom then it fills the screen fine and the faces seem the right shape. SO basicly what I am asking is; what is the proper set up for the 10HT and the DVD player so that I have the proper ratio? I have the option of wide or normal on my pioneer DVL-919, and what aspect should I use on the 10HT?

------------------

Brian Ingram

Pardon my terrible spelling :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Be sure your DVD and 10HT are set to 16/9 (I think the setting is full on the 10ht). Also check to make sure Commando is true 16/9 and not just letterbox - which sounds like the culprit. If Commando is just letterbox and you don't want to set the 10ht to 4/3 mode then try one of the other aspect ratio options on the 10ht (ie...Zoom or subtitle mode).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Given Brian description, it seems obvious "Commando" DVD is 4/3 letterboxed and NOT "16/9 enhanced" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif .

In brief:

The DVD player must be setup for a 16/9 display.

Then, basically, always select FULL aspect in the 10HT for 16/9 DVDs and NORMAL aspect for 4/3 DVDs (or LDs, etc).

There is no way to tell the 10HT to select automatically the correct aspect depending on the source (don't know of any projector able to do that).

Now, for 4/3 letterboxed (DVDs, LDs or Broadcast) you may want use ZOOM or SUBTITLE aspect to avoid the left/right black bars (and make use of the Scroll option menu that allows up/down adjustment).

Carlos

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will try a few more DVDs and see if a better sample will give better results. Does anyone know of a dvd that is for sure 16:9, not 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 but true 1.78:1, odds are that I have it and can test with it?

------------------

Brian Ingram

Pardon my terrible spelling http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MM_ApocNow (edited 05-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MM_ApocNow (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah My message is not worded very well, I am looking for a true 1.78:1 movie to make sure the setup for my 10HT is correct.

Thanks

------------------

Brian Ingram

·
Registered
142 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all 1.85:1 OAR, 16:9 enhanced dvds will show no black bars in a 16:9 display. Sample titles are Saving Private Ryan, Hollow Man, The Whole Nine yards etc.

Can't remember any movie that is true 1.78:1 .

[This message has been edited by weapon_x11 (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is my understanding that anything with a larger ratio then 1.78:1 will infact show a black bar at the top and bottom, on a 16:9 screen the bars are pretty small though. Even on my Toshiba TW40X81 movies that are larger then 1.78:1 show black bars, I just can't remember a real 1.78:1 movie to test with.

------------------

Brian Ingram

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Car_rod nailed it.
www.widescreenreview.com says that "Commando" is not an anamorphic transfer.

You can get a list of anamorphic discs from widescreenreview and look it over for 1.78 titles.

There is no "correct" setting. It all depends on the particular DVD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.