AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it. I'm done with it. It's going back. It locks up, glitches/stutters when playing/recording a show, the menus are clunky and slow, and now it simply won't even start up: I woke up to a frozen "One moment please..." screen, tried a few reboots - but it simply won't start up.

So, I'm done with it. ReplayTV has MANY issues to resolve before I'd even CONSIDER coming back. Till then, I'll be purchasing my second TiVo to replace this POS.

Thanks, y'all!!

edit: well, it just FINALLY came up (sat in the "One moment please..." screen for 30 minutes!). It's still going back....maybe...(the $150 to buy it was a gift, but there are MANY problems with it!).

·
Registered
744 Posts
syphix,

Sounds like you got one of the "lemons" that were floating around. Just so you know, all RTVs do not behave this way. I have two that are functioning just fine and I am sure many others will tell you a similar story.

I agree that the Quality Control coming out of the now defunct SonicBlue was terrible. It seems they pushed out many lemons in the mad rush to get a new product out the door last Christmas. They did, however, get many of them right and the continued software upgrades have made the RTV5000 more and more stable.

So, it is up to you. You can choose the following:

1) Ditch it and get a TiVo

2) RMA it and hopefully get another one in good working order

3) Spend the money on something other than a DVR

In any case, I wouldn't bother messing with it any more than you already have. The unit certainly sounds defective.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I would echo Method's sentiment. I have two 5060s that have been nothing but a pleasure to work with. I will say this, that changing channels is a bit slower than when I was using a 2000 and a SS, but seeing as I don't channel surf, it doesn't bug me.

I would RMA the unit and try one more time.

Just my lousy $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have two 5000s that work perfectly. In the past I've had two 4000s that worked perfectly and before that 2 showstopperst that worked perfectly. The only lemon I ever got was a refurb unit, which I promptly returned. (Serves me right for getting a refurb!)

I don't think the lemon rate for new replays is any higher than the lemon rate for new Tivos (I know plenty of people who have had bad expereinces with Tivo). You will be able to get and enjoy a properly functioning replay or a properly functioning Tivo, so it probably makes sense to figure out which one you like best if only it were working and then make your choice accordingly. The choice was easy for me, but your choice might be different. To each his own...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think posts like syphix's are important.

If I didn't have a quasi-relationship with the ReplayTV community here, ReplayTV would get less slack from me.

I mean, normally if I buy something and it fails that magnificently, it goes back and I never do business with them again. It's my time and my money, and I don't like wasting either.

Now, it could be that I was just the one-in-a-million unfortunate person to get the only defective unit that went out this year, in which case they're only really out one customer (or maybe a couple after I'm done ranting at all my friends). Cost of doing business; maybe even my loss.

But, if it's not one-in-a-million, and maybe more like one-in-a-hundred (or even dozen), then it's important for the community and vendor to understand why they're losing market share.

Taking this gentleman's perspective:

"Well, I already spent my time and money on something that clearly doesn't work. Why would I want to spend more of either? Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

He owes ReplayTV nothing. They owed him a working unit and failed to deliver. Like I said, if I wasn't already part of the community here (and therefore at least a little more privy to what is/was/might be/will be), I certainly would dump the thing in a heartbeat and never come back.

The only difference would be that I'd be more inclined just to move on without telling anyone, which would leave both the vendor and its fans puzzled as to why people aren't buying their products.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I own four 5000's. three of them get heavy daily use. The 4th mostly is waiting for the right time to sell a Lifetime sub 5040. I guess for once in my life I'm the lucky one. I have had no Major problems with any of them after the update 5.0

But I understand how the OP feels. 3 years ago I bought my son a E-machine Computer. It was a piece of crap. Two weeks later I took it back to CC and got a Dell online. I will never buy an E-machine Computer again. I hear E-machine's have gotten better since then. But burn me once. In now Bankrupt Sonic Blue's rush to make Xmas release, they let Quality Control be secondary to getting the 5000's out the door. This alone was a killer for sales. SB has no one but themselves to blame. As a 3 year ReplayTV owner, I would be willing to cut DNNA some slick. New customers will not. This is not all DNNA's fault But they'er going to have to deal with it with Sonic Blue's past mistakes.

syphix enjoy your new Tivo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm torn: I do like ReplayTV, and I feel (as many early adopters may feel) that I can help them create a better product by giving them feedback. But like toots said, if it weren't for this forum (or my love of hacking stuff;)), the thing woulda been boxed back up after the SECOND lockup - not the 6th or 7th.

I have some time to see if it's the drives, the software, or just a lemon...but I'm really not sure if I want to GIVE it that time. I've bought three TiVo's (one for myself, two as gifts), and all three work great - never a lockup (okay...my hacked TiVo did lockup once, but I had an FTP server, telnet client, POP checker, TiVoWeb internet software, etc. etc....stuff it wasn't originally designed for four years ago!).

I love gadgets. I love testing gadgets, putting them through insane stress and seeing if they endure. But this baby didn't work from the get-go. And it's VERY disappointing since I was happy to see DVR's at such a great price. I guess you get what you pay for, though.

ReplayTV: have you determined if these are software issues, or hardware issues? (if software, I may wait...if hardware: bye-bye..)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by syphix

ReplayTV: have you determined if these are software issues, or hardware issues? (if software, I may wait...if hardware: bye-bye..) [/b]
This is probably a question for Lyndon, but even then I wouldn't expect an answer that is anything but double talk. No hardware/software developer is going to say, "Yep its the hardware. The components basically stink.". They're going to say something like, "Its a known issue that we're currently working to solve."

Bottom line is, I don't think you're going to get a straight answer. I will say that I *think* your current unit may have both a hardware and a software issue. I.e., your hard drive could be bad making the software go crazy.

Bottom line is I've had 4 Replay units over the last few years, two of them 5k units that have worked almost perfectly.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Count me in on the positive side. 5 Replays total, 3 pre-4k still in service, 2 5K. No significant or unexplained problems.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I wonder what drives people to do this.

Someone has problems with his unit, and everyone has to show up to say theirs works fine.

And this helps the original guy... how? By making him feel even more like he's out of luck, since he's the one that got the lemon?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Toots,

Maybe my experience is more applicable to this guy. I bought my first 4504 about a year or so ago. I was so excited and had been anticipating a great experience. I got the thing and it worked for a day and died on the "please wait...." screen. I was pissed.

I came to this forum and a lot of people like the one's above gave me reassurance that ReplayTV could actually work. So, on their advice I sent it back. Unfortunately, the RMA process was a PITA. But, with DNNA it is hopefully better.

After it was all over I now have two 4504's that have worked great and have changed my television viewing habits. This is new technology and there will likely be bumps along the way. Syphix, I suggest you RMA the thing ASAP. Odds are you will get a replacement unit that functions properly. However, with the trade-in program in full swing I would expect that it won't be the quickest process.

Just my opinion. Take heed if it helps.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots

Someone has problems with his unit, and everyone has to show up to say theirs works fine.

And this helps the original guy... how? By making him feel even more like he's out of luck, since he's the one that got the lemon?
\\

Toots,

Its not a "rubbing his nose in it" kind of thing. I think that it is more of a "we hope you are willing to try again because most units seem to work fine" kind of thing. At least in my case.

I acknowleged in my previous posts that there is something wrong and he should RMA. The "my unit works fine" is a statement of hope--most units do work--not a statement of "na na na boo boo your unit sucks and my unit doesn't!"

Best,

Matthew.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may call buy.com and get them to exchange it instead of refund it...I'm pretty determined to have my second DVR/PVR be a ReplayTV - I really do like many things about it (the grid guide, for one).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had a 5040 since November -- it seems to work reliably, except for hangups with the software. My way of getting around that was to buy a cheap timer to do a hard reboot every 24 hours in case I can't be around to "baby sit" the unit.

Now I understand that the 110 build is supposed to deal with the modem hangup. I posted a separate thread on that topic which you may want to view.

Why not try exchanging it if you are still on the 30-day evaluation period? If you have problems with the second unit, then give up and buy a TiVo. Hopefully that would give you trouble-free performance.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:

No, what it does is put the reported problems in context. Someone thinking that his/her experience is universal needs a balanced set of facts to base future decisions on.

That's HOW!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I just got home from work, and yep....you guessed it: it's locked up on the "One moment please..." screen. This seems MORE than a software issue...I think I'll exchange it, if buy.com will let me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Syphix:

I'll add one more thing. If you have broadband at home, I highly recommend using the network option to get your OS upgrades and guide data. Before I got the first 5040, I had a Showstopper that was solid as a rock. It used the dial-up connection and worked fine. Well, the 5040 started locking up constantly on nightly net-connects using the modem (a known bug that is being "worked on" via OS updates). Anyway, I wanted to enjoy the benefits of the 5040 over the Showstopper, but the lack of reliability in its operation was driving me nuts. So, I bit the bullet and set the thing up on my home network. This involved shelling out an additional $100 for a wireless bridge, but the lock-ups went away and have not returned.

So, if you are tied to the phone line, TiVo may be your best bet after all. If you have the option of setting it up on your network, by all means do it. I believe your overall chances for success are greater if you take this route.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:

No, it makes him and others realize that perhaps that one unit is the problem (you know, computers are *kinda* sensitive to about a million different variables that make them unstable) and if he exchanges it, the next one will work just fine.

I don't understand posts like your previous one which sounded like you might buy a product, have all sorts of problems with it, then take it back for a refund and assume that since you got one bad product that all of them must be bad and the manufacturer is to blame. Maybe it fell off a truck and got smashed by the shipping comany, etc.

Now, if you get two or more in a row...

--

Daniel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The more and more I look at it, the more and more I know it's most likely a hardware issue:
  • glitches when playing back live tv or recorded programs
  • locks up when starting up...takes three or four restarts to finally get it booted
  • hasn't completely recorded an entire show: locks up during recording

Unfortunately, the more and more I look at it, the more and more I just want my $232 back (with shipping)

Oh. And that $4 or so for the subscription for the rest of September.

btw, it is hooked up to the broadband..and that ain't helpin'.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
No, I don't assume that all products from a vendor will be bad.

What I do assume is that they failed to provide me with a working product on the first try, and I don't really have the time or patience to determine what the real error frequency is. Therefore, I move on.

And often, the manufacturer is to blame. Sometimes it's the shipper, yeah, but certainly in the case of ReplayTV, we've been seeing a very high error rate. Some people do get two or more in a row.

I only feel moderately stupid if I buy something that's broken out of the box. If I go back and get a second box and it's broken, then I'll feel stupid squared. Fool me once...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.