AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You got a decent AVR and and those 442's look pretty decent so you're off to a good start. As previously mentioned, the center and sub are key pieces so I recommend going with those first. A good quality 5.1 setup is a lot more enjoyable than a cheap atmos setup put together with satellite or HTIB speakers. More isn't necessarily better. Think quality of quantity.
I think the tweeters are 'hooped' on the celestions. I was doing a quick ear test and nothing is coming out of the tweeters. Might be rethinking the budget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After a quick look, I found a few interesting things.
The best speakers available: Monitor Audio Speakers for Sale | Speakers | Red Deer | Kijiji
A complete 5.1 Klipsch Synergy set: Speakers - Klipsch Synergy Series | Speakers | Red Deer | Kijiji Might not be better than you already have, though.
Nice sounding LCR: Mirage Omni 350 Floorstanding speakers and matching center | Speakers | Red Deer | Kijiji He already dropped the price, so will probably negotiate.
Best of the rest: Paradigm Phantom v3 Tower Speakers | Speakers | Red Deer | Kijiji I am a Paradigm fan, but these are already 18 years old.

Calgary or Edmonton would have more options. The Polk setup I suggested is pretty good and within budget. You may even get the S55 towers if you keep your sub for now.
Thanks for checking out some equipment for me!! Damn nice of you. So regarding the Mirage set; the center is a Mirage Omni C150 and there's a sub also, an Infinity PS10. All in for $450 (or $300 minus the sub.. A good point was made about subs that I liked, you don't know about the amp and it might be hard to get your money back.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
I think the tweeters are 'hooped' on the celestions. I was doing a quick ear test and nothing is coming out of the tweeters. Might be rethinking the budget.
Keep in mind that you don't need to get everything at once. Start with the sub, then in a few months add the center and so on.

Reactions: alwaller

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow what a rabbit-hole this can and has turned out to be!! Stop!!! I've got household/yard-work to do!!!
What are the thoughts on ceiling speakers? I've got a drop ceiling so access is easy.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
^^Which is why I went with my recommendations. They are all within his budget.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
What are the thoughts on ceiling speakers? I've got a drop ceiling so access is easy.
Ideal for Atmos speakers.

Fine for rear surrounds if you have no plans to ever do Atmos.

God help you if ever use in-ceilings for the critical front 3. You'd be better off with a frickin' soundbar, or bluetooth headphones.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Thoughts on the Definitive Tech ProSub 1000?
Run like hell away. DT lies outrageously with all of it specs, but especially on their subs. Even the most ardent DT fanboys who fell for their "SuperCube" subs will admit that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Run like hell away. DT lies outrageously with all of it specs, but especially on their subs. Even the most ardent DT fanboys who fell for their "SuperCube" subs will admit that.
How about the Paradigm PS 1200 v4?

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
How about the Paradigm PS 1200 v4?
Not familiar with that model...I've been told that Paradigm's new lineup of Defiance subs are pretty good.

In Canada though, your best HT sub option is probably the SVS PB1000 as sold through electronicsforless.ca or Amazon.ca

Reactions: alwaller

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK just 3 more, honestly:). MartinLogan Dynamo 600, the 10" Monolith and the REL HT1003. That's all...... for tonight!!

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
OK just 3 more, honestly:). MartinLogan Dynamo 600, the 10" Monolith and the REL HT1003. That's all...... for tonight!!
For HT use the Monolith 10 is the best option from that list, however room size needs to be taken into account when shopping for subs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would
^^ As above stated the room determines the size of the sub, I would go for the Monolith any day!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Alright boys and girls, here's the latest. 2 used systems I might choose from. #1-Mirage Omni 350 mains, Mirage Omni C150 center and a Mirage PS10 sub for $450 Cdn. #2-Athena AS-F2 mains, Athena AS-B2 bookshelf, Athena AS-C1 center for $250 Cdn (center needs new binding posts). I can get a RSL Speedwoofer 10S delivered for $515 Cdn.
What do you think?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Mirage over Athena.
I think you have to go out and listen to some speakers to determine the sound signature you enjoy. Take high-quality recordings of your favourite music, as It doesn't make much sense to audition with classical when you normally listen to gangsta rap.
That's a good price for the Speedwoofer delivered. The Polk HTS-12, when on sale, will be of similar performance and value. At least with the Polk, it would be easier to go through the warranty process with a place like BestBuy, instead of having to deal with border issues.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts