AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I can't believe that I am on my 2000th post. I wanted to take this time to thank AVS for the thousands of enjoyable hours that I have spent here at the Forum.

I also wanted to reflect back to my beginnings on the AVS.

I purchased my DTC100 in the first week of December 1999. Somehow...and I can't seem to remember where, I heard about AVS and immediately joined. At the time there were less than 1000 members.

Living in L.I. I had two choices for HDTV; HBO and CBS. Now in August of 2001 I have a DISH 6000 (the DTC100 died two months after the warranty period was up and RCA refused to fix it.).Moving to the 6000 also allowed me to get Showtime HD and the 24 hr. PPV HD channel.

We now have CBS, NBC, PBS, WOR, ABC in HDTV though NBC still hasn't comitted to HDTV.

I have watched the AVS membership grow to well over 20,000 though we seemed to have lost some of the "professionals" that used to populate the HDTV Forum (which by the way has gone from one to four sections).

We still have not seen Discovery HD Theater after 18 months of previews on both DISH and DirecTV.

I have watched the price of HDTV displays drop from around $6,000 to less than $2,000 which is where they should have been from the beginning.

The number of HD-STB's is close to 10. For the longest time it was only the DTC100 and the initial nightmare of VGA only for those with Component inputs.

Unfortunately I also see the debacle of 5C/HDCP...1394/DVI looming on the horizon. This does not please me in the least. I am very concerned how the MPAA will deal with people like me...early adopters with Analog based equipment. The good news is that when these systems do reach the consumer public, there should be almost 2 million HDTV owners and restricting these many people from HDTV will not be easy...without a major fight.

I saw HDTV for the first time in 1990 and have realized my dream/goal...to have HDTV in my home. HDTV like the AVS Forum has brought me countless hours of enjoyment and I look forward to more of both.

Lee

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Congratulations, Lee! Welcome to the 2000 club.

This forum sure has grown in the time since I joined as well. The growth has been managed well, with increasing specialization, but it becomes even harder to keep up with it all.

This industry sure is moving fast, and this is one of the best places on the Internet to hear about the developments.

Anyway, congratulations!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well Hell I'm only in the 50+ club for right now, but hey I'm workin' on it! Congrats to you on your new milestone. I depend on knowledgeable folks like yourself for advice and for intelligent exchange of information. I have met a lot of new folks in here and almost all of them have been very friendly and adult (there are always the exceptions but I treat them with the honorable ignorance they richly deserved...lol). Anyway, congrats again to you and keep posting away!

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.