AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get no picture, nothing when hooked up- blank screen. I tried unplugging- same. On many AVS threads I have read of these units failing. I probably burned about 400 DVDS on this unit that I bought in 2005 from Walmart for $330. It is not uncommon after about 2 years for this model to fail.. Not a hookup problem because my ES15 Panny worked perfectly with identical hookup on same TV and SAT box. I believe it is an HDD failure. I plan to call Pioneer in LA and see if they can provide me with a local repair facility- Pioneer has a big problem on these units as to failure- They are one of the best when they work but... I hope that my Pio 640 does not repeat this . I wonder if Pio sells an extended warranty on the Pio 640 as Panny does on theirs. I would buy it if the price is reasonable. An electronic unit that you pay this much for should NOT fail at 2 years. I may try to take it back to Walmart as I have my receipt. Satisfaction Guaranteed!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
When my 633 died due to HDD failure it had the following symptoms when it was powered on:
  • "Power On" in the built-in display for several seconds, then
  • "hh:mm L1" in the display (I think it was on the L1 input when it failed), then
  • "hh:mm EPG" in the display, then
  • "LOAD" on the display

It would then cycle through the last 3 displays every 5-6 seconds. Despite the "LOAD" being shown there was no DVD in the machine.

I had mine repaired under my credit card extended warranty for ~Cdn$390, slightly less than a new 640 would have cost. It's working fine now.

I have a total of three Pioneers (533, 633 and 640) and I'm thinking it might be worth investing in a service remote so I can replace the HDDs if/when they fail...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

I get no picture, nothing when hooked up- blank screen. I tried unplugging- same. On many AVS threads I have read of these units failing. I probably burned about 400 DVDS on this unit that I bought in 2005 from Walmart for $330. It is not uncommon after about 2 years for this model to fail.. Not a hookup problem because my ES15 Panny worked perfectly with identical hookup on same TV and SAT box. I believe it is an HDD failure. I plan to call Pioneer in LA and see if they can provide me with a local repair facility- Pioneer has a big problem on these units as to failure- They are one of the best when they work but... I hope that my Pio 640 does not repeat this . I wonder if Pio sells an extended warranty on the Pio 640 as Panny does on theirs. I would buy it if the price is reasonable. An electronic unit that you pay this much for should NOT fail at 2 years. I may try to take it back to Walmart as I have my receipt. Satisfaction Guaranteed!

HG,

First off you JERK
, CONGRATULATIONS on your sale of your Panny in the other thread.

Second, have you thought about maybe just going out and buying a new HDD, and trying to replace it in the Pioneer 531?

I would think an 80GB HDD is probably super cheap, and from what I have read(I have an RDR HX-900 that appears to be quite easy to swap out a defective HDD if defective) it is not all that hard to do.

Since you seem to have a Plethera of HDD units, at least from your posts here
, there may be info here from someone who has tried it on that series of Pioneer units(531/533/633), and have been successful.

It would save you a TON OF MONEY, and you would also learn soemthing very valuable, as it may be similiar to do on other units(this I DON'T KNOW, just speculation on my part).

May be worth a try.

Find out, if you can, what manufacturer makes the drive that resembles the one in the unit. You "SHOULD" be able to purchase one at a COMPUSA, BEST BUY, ETC... for a pretty cheap price. 80GB HDD's should not be expensive at all.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
284 Posts
HoustonGuy... WalMart is usually excellent when returning things like that. I've returned stuff even without the reciept and they always, always give me a refund.... Even with the warranty being way expired.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/0

I have a total of three Pioneers (533, 633 and 640) and I'm thinking it might be worth investing in a service remote so I can replace the HDDs if/when they fail...

...And then Sean can offset the cost of his service remote by selling us replacement HDD's for our Pioneers! I have a 531 that was bought about the same time as Houston Guy. Although I probably haven't burned 30 or 40 DVD's...but the HDD has been working non-stop every evening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.