AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research, I don't have an answer.

My impression is the Sammys or Sonys or even Panny would be better, I am not thrilled with their cases, gloss black is nice but reflective and matte black is boring. Panny silver is not appealing.

And I am concerned that the Sammy supposedly has poor sound.

If I had to choose a Sammy, maybe I go with the 51D in gloss white, but I would rather have 92D or 96D, but there isn't white.

I wonder how the Sammy 51D / 92D and Sony S2010 / S2400 compare?

I just think the looks of Sony S2400 or S2010 aren't great, but maybe they look better at home?

Any thoughts if you have seen any of these TVs?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The problem or quandary as you put it is about to get much more complicated.

There will be something you will absolutely hate about almost any unit. You have to decide which is least evil.....For my money - there are so many other issues than the bezels to worry about...... Picture issues, backlight bleeding, motion-smearing, artifacting in dark scenes.....I dont put any cosmetic issues as serious enough to warrant concern.

As far as sound goes - its simple - small areas have small speakers that will inevitably sound crappy to anyone discerning enough to visit these forums. But a simple 2.1 low priced computer sound system will solve the issue and can be placed discreetly enough to be pass any appearance factors.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have to agree with D_Olds. The quality of the TV and the picture are the first thing that should narrow the field. Then the resolution, inputs and outputs should be compared. Then finally how well the TV looks. I have a Sharp 42" with a gloss black frame and find that it does not present any distraction at all. Glossy white would be another matter, I think it would stick out alot more than black.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, if a TV doesn't look good just sitting there off, then I wouldn't buy it if it offered the best picture in the world. I *always* look at the bezel/casing first and ask myself if I could live with it. If so, now we get into the nuts and bolts...

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Only some bezels I don't like at all. I can't get WAF for some bezels, nor for any speakers/sub.

I found some little two two speakers that are rated well, but I couldn't use the sub.

I know all of them have poor speakers compared to outboard speakers, but some are better than others, so the differences are important.

Also, I can't see all of the choices in the same store, so comparing is difficult.

After more discussion we ruled out the gloss white because it would clash with the DVR.

She likes the Sharp LC-3250DU in titanium silver, but there just isn't enough info. on it, and my impression from reading is others are clearly better.

I really wonder how the Samsungs and Sonys compare in video and audio, as they use the same glass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would not trade my Sammy LN-S3251D for any other 32 inch....the picture is that amazing to me. However, the sound is terrible and I have gone from not even considering external speakers, to now getting ready to buy a 2.1 sound set up just so I can keep this TV and get better sound. A highly rated set of Creative Lab speakers is $49

If you really want to get decent built in sound I understand the Panny 32LX600 is considerably better, but I canot comment on the PQ vs. the Sammy

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I really like the Samsung 32" models and I have a piano black 45" Sharp which disappears at night and the PQ is so bright the panel bezel has no impact and even though my 57" is a much superior panel versus any 32" model the piano black provides a better contrast IMO versus the titanium. I like the black but no way could I tolerate a white TV - YUCKO! Belongs on a hospital ward.

I must say that my 32" Sharp which is from 18 months ago cannot match the current Samsung/Sony as they leap frogged it but it's sound system is quite excellent, I have a high end 5.1 SS HT now but I recall when I had the 32" without it and it was unusually good sound for a mere 32" LCD with built-in virtual. Study Circuit City reviews by owners - they often rate the sound system and if you have 50 other buyers give testimony it should lend which sound and PQ may narrow your choices but 32" is a small package to build in alot of HT Sound.

As someone else suggested you can pretty easily add quality sound to better match the Samsung PQ or a soundbar depends on your budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.