AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I don't know what happened but now my Xbox is slower than usual and kind of has this jitter to it. A small amount of visual lag, almost like looking at an LCD from 10 years ago or something. Apparently it still responds fine but it makes games nearly unplayable. I tried playing BFBC2 tonight and firefights were pretty much a lose-lose situation. Popped in RB2 to play drums and the whole chart moves jittery making it very difficult to play.

All I can say as I've had no issues until today. Got Red Faction yesterday. I updated it and downloaded one piece of DLC for it. After I played that with no issues I didn't play anymore Xbox until today when I saw the slowness.

The slowness/jitterness is everywhere. The whole dashboard, games, even the xbox logo when you bootup isnt as smooth as it used to be. Didn't sound like the HDD was seeking anymore than usual either.

*sigh*

What do I do guys?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/18289895

Okay. I don't know what happened but now my Xbox is slower than usual and kind of has this jitter to it. A small amount of visual lag, almost like looking at an LCD from 10 years ago or something. Apparently it still responds fine but it makes games nearly unplayable. I tried playing BFBC2 tonight and firefights were pretty much a lose-lose situation. Popped in RB2 to play drums and the whole chart moves jittery making it very difficult to play.

All I can say as I've had no issues until today. Got Red Faction yesterday. I updated it and downloaded one piece of DLC for it. After I played that with no issues I didn't play anymore Xbox until today when I saw the slowness.

The slowness/jitterness is everywhere. The whole dashboard, games, even the xbox logo when you bootup isnt as smooth as it used to be. Didn't sound like the HDD was seeking anymore than usual either.

*sigh*

What do I do guys?

Sounds to me like a graphics card issue. I'm no expert, but I would start preparing the warranty paperwork and/or looking for a replacement console.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Things to try:

- Pop the HDD off and load up a game. This will tell you if it's a possible cache issue.

- Install a game to the HDD and play it from there. This will tell you if it's a possible disc drive issue, kinda.

- Hook up to a different display, especially if you're using HDMI. Maybe there is a new HDCP error that just popped up for you.

- Hook up with a different cable type.

- If you are playing from the HDD, then delete the disc install and play from the disc.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Oh! And when things are figured out, we need to play Red Faction multi! The multiplayer in that game is pretty excellent with it's jet-packs and sledgehammers.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, James! Thanks for the tips. It's kinda late now so I will give these a go tomorrow. I pretty much exclusively run games from HDD installs so I will try it sans the HDD. Not sure if it's the display but it might be my AVR. I tried a new setting the other night while watching a BD and it just occured to me right now (doh!) that this is probably it.

Other than that the only 'new' change was DL'ing an update for Red Faction and getting the Wrecking Crew dlc.

Lolz! Now that I think about it...this was probably caused by the display change I made on my AVR which kinda sucks since it's supposed to be a pretty decent scaler. Hmmm...

We will definitely gonna play some MP in Red Faction together. I haven't tried it yet so I may not kill very well in the game but I am the ultimate destroyer of buildings and structures.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upon further investigation it was, indeed, a change in my video setting on my receiver that gave me issues while playing xbox. I had set my AVR to send all video signals to my projector as 1080p/24 instead of 'through' or bypass. I did while watching a BD movie. I told my friend that there shouldnt be any blue screen flicker during the trailers so I tried this out. Totally forgot that it was still on. Changed it back and now everything is fine.

Bullet dodged.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
As you concluded, if you get uneven highway movement in "Rock Band" or a similar title, it's frequently the video signal processing at the TV (or A/V receiver) that's causing the issue, rather than the Xbox 360 itself. I've seen reports due to features with various names including:

Automatic Signal Conversion

Cinemotion

Deinterlacer / Reverse Telecine

Motion Enhancer

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/18300335

As you concluded, if you get uneven highway movement in "Rock Band" or a similar title, it's frequently the video signal processing at the TV (or A/V receiver) that's causing the issue, rather than the Xbox 360 itself. I've seen reports due to features with various names including:

Automatic Signal Conversion

Cinemotion

Deinterlacer / Reverse Telecine

Motion Enhancer

That's right and I knew about all this so I am pretty embarrased that I fell for it. I totally forgot that I had enabled my scaler for one night and didnt turn it off. I usually never use the scaler at all. Everything from my 360 comes out as 720p and all my BD's play at 1080p/24 native.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Aye. I just like to re-iterate the facts for those who come late to the conversation, or for when the thread shows up as a result in someone's forum search. Sort of a, "Glad you found your problem and you're right, and here are some other similar things that cause this for future reference".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts