AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung HL-S5687W, using a Denon 2307 receiver, and the component cables that came with the Xbox (switched on to HDTV). When I go to the Display menu in the Dashboard I can switch it to 720p and 1080i - but when I try to put it on 1080p it won't do it.

Anyone know what the problem might be? I was under the impression that I would only need to get the VGA cables if I wanted to upconvert DVDs.. that the components would work fine with my receiver and TV to show the picture in 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyjosh /forum/post/0

I have a Samsung HL-S5687W, using a Denon 2307 receiver, and the component cables that came with the Xbox (switched on to HDTV). When I go to the Display menu in the Dashboard I can switch it to 720p and 1080i - but when I try to put it on 1080p it won't do it.

Anyone know what the problem might be? I was under the impression that I would only need to get the VGA cables if I wanted to upconvert DVDs.. that the components would work fine with my receiver and TV to show the picture in 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me you need a firmware update. I'd call Samsung to see what they can do about that. But just to be sure check the official Samsung HL-SXX87W thread to see if it can infact output 1080p via component.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
If he is using his receiver it won't accept 1080p via component. But if I'm reading the OP, it states that he tried to select 1080p and it would allow him to select it as an output option from the 360. Doesn't make sense since it wouldn't even be there to select as an option or it would be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will again confirm that the 87w will accept 1080p just fine over component directly, mine has worked without a hitch since Microsoft released the update. But you will only see HD-DVD's at 1080i which is the same as 1080p with 24hz material, so no worries

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the HL-S5687 and through component you will get 1080p for games and 1080i for movies. I brought the VGA cable and now everything is 1080p. Every time I log on it updates so I believe I have the latest update. Only thing there are black bars, about 1/2" around the entire pic

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it depends on the tv. I have the Samsung 4095D and it accepts 1080p over component for gaming. However, I think you need a VGA cable for this TV in order to display HD-DVD at 1080p or upscale regular DVDs...

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly /forum/post/0

You need to let us know which Samsung tv you have. Some of their first few 1080P LCDs did not take 1080P inputs.

He already let us know which Samsung he has. His tv does accept 1080P signals through the component input. So is either his receiver or he hasn't updated his xbox.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wish he would come back and tell us that he connected it straight to the set. Its def. the receiver. No question.

And I can't believe people still think you need VGA for 1080p. VGA will give you 1080p for everything while 1080p over component only applies to games.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.