AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm copying this from another thread cause I think it is interesting enough. Besides we haven't had a discussion like this is a few months. Any thoughts?

1) UI clean-up (so much of the UI looks like a mix and match of whatever was convenient to code up

2) speed (the unit responds to remote commands, but is too slow)

3) daily reboots (why?)

4) ReplayGuide folders (the sub menus are nice, but I have lots recorded--couldn't we at least have the ability to shrink ReplayChannels which have many programs recorded under them?)

5) To-do list

6) Hide new channels by default (with a message listing them and an option to add them individually from the message)

7) Messages telling me that shows have moved and may not record (with an option to correct the recording)

8) Messages telling me that shows haven't recorded in a while (I have so much recorded that I don't want to go hunting for ReplayChannels which aren't recording anything, but I would want to delete them)

9) Favorite channels lists

10) Improved commercial advance (reliability could be improved--I think)

11) Better layout for recording shows (when I do a search and want to record one of the search results those results are hidden)

12) Multi-unit scheduling

13) 4k to 5k streaming (and vice-versa; otherwise I have no incentive to buy another unit)

14) Hidden recordings (obscure recordings in a buried menu with a password--true parental control)

15) True DVD compatible MPEGS (with a file listing the commercial locatings)

16) Same room master/slave control (allowing only one machine to accept IR commands and the other is simply a second tuner and additional HD space)

17) PC based control program (similar to MyRTV.com, but real-time with lots of statistics and reports)

18) MP3 streaming (or local storage)

19) PC based backup storage (automated to make more space available locally; shows could be moved at night to free up local storage and be streamed back without the user having to worry whether or not the file is local)

20) Live TV streaming (it would be cool to be able to stream a live show to another room; I have ethernet through the house, but I don't have satellite receivers in every room)

·
Registered
381 Posts

• Improved searching. Allow searching within Replay zones. example: try recording only Tennessee football games or Atlanta baseball games. Easily done on Tivo not on Replay
  • Restrict theme channels to certain television channels. I would like to have theme channels that record movies just from premium channels and not from TNN, USA, TBS, etc.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sadly, these post are rarely used by companies. As a product manager myself, I rely on our tech support logs and trusted beta users to determine what features are and are not needed in a product. Tech support logs are used to see how many times someone complains about something or request a feature. If 50 people complain about the same thing chances are it will be in the next release of the product. This is the same with beta users, how many times do beta users complain or request a feature.

Rarely do I use open forums to determine what features are will be added to a product. The only time I will integrate a feature into a product from an open forum is when I see a recurring theme/request occurring in a forum.

The reason being is that what may be important to you may not be (and in many cases is not) important to the thousands of other users. Thus I can't waste my developers time on a feature that will not be used by the masses.

If you want your best bang for the buck in an open forum then the best thing to do is create a poll of all the features users would like and allow people to vote on them. As a product manager I would find this a lot more of a scientific method of a wish list rather then just have users just randomly throw out request. If I see that a 100 people voted for a particular feature, then I may look into incorporating it further into the next release.

My 2 cents :)!

·
Registered
40 Posts
One feature I really miss being able to use is the ability to schedule a channel change.

With my DirecTV receiver, as i view the schedule for an evening of viewing, I can select shows to be:
  • Recorded (uses IR blaster to record to VCR)
  • Switched to without recording[/list=a]

This allows me to view the schedule for the evening, and set up the system so the shows I want to watch that evening are automatically switched to at the proper time. Options are also available for repeating the channel change .. for instance, I can set the receiver to switch to fox news every morning at 5am.

This functionality is lost since I now use ReplayTV to schedule everything, and I don't want to inadvertently switch channels in the middle of a show I decided to record.

Additionally, It would be really really nice if the entire sequence of shows that are automatically switched but not recorded could be left in the live buffer so I can pause live tv anytime and not worry about missing anything when shows change.

This may be asking for a lot, but software guys should be able to FigerItOut.

I could do all this still with my DirecTV receiver, but Replay will not know what I am really tuned to, and I might end up switching channels during a recorded show, which is why I would rather have the functionality moved to my Replay Unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.