AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at three stores, reading this board, Cnet and CR these are the models I'm choosing from. Anyone have anything to push me one way or the other? If the Pioneer fits my budget, is that THE choice?

Pioneer 5070 - This will be the one if I can find a good price on it. I see BB has the 5071, but I think the above sponsers have decent prices on the 5070. I would prefer to by locally, so if I had any out of the box issues it could be returned easily.

Panasonic - TH-58PX60u , can be had for a very good price right now. I have seen this at 3 different stores with different results(none of them great). The good people this Forum swear by this TV and claim with proper calibrations it is great. Can I trust these posts? Is it worth saving $500 from the Pioneer which is more than I want to pay?

Toshiba 50HP66 - I thought this was a good budget model to please the wife, but it really isn't all taht much cheaper than the Panasonic.

Others I have a little interest in...

Hitachi 50HDA39 - can't really find this TV or many reviews, but after seeing the 42" and the 55 versions, I wouldn't mind seeing the 50". I just haven't found one yet.

LG 50PC3D and Samsung HPS5053 - Liked these TV's, but for the price I may as well go up to the Pioneer or down to the Panasonic. I really liked the picture, but it seems pricey compared to all but the Pioneer and people here don't seem to give it favorable reviews.

VIZIO 50" - I thought the PQ was decent, great price. Is this a reliable brand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Consider your usage. If SD is going to be viewing staple for a while yet, I'd put a big check in the 5070 corner.

As far as how you spend your money... it's a personal choice. For example, my wife would have been perfectly happy with the PQ on the Vizio, I wouldn't have been. No one recommendation would have fit both of us.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I cant speak for the others,

But the 5070 truely has an incredible set of scalers/processors that bring SDTV and SD DVD's up to a Very High level of picture quality.

Check out some of my screen shots, some are SD DVD up-converted,

some at 480p and letting the Pio 5070's scalers doing the up-conversion

...also some BluRay/HD DVD comparisons

Up Converted SD DVD vs non-converted SD DVD vs Blu-Ray

...also a few more pics in the link in my sig.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. the blu-ray looked especially good. the more i have thought about this, i think the 5070 is the way to go. I would rather spend a few extra dollars and be happy than always wish that i had done that in the beginning.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFrohman /forum/post/0

thanks for the info. the blu-ray looked especially good. the more i have thought about this, i think the 5070 is the way to go. I would rather spend a few extra dollars and be happy than always wish that i had done that in the beginning.

Abe, hows the sausage business in Chicago these days ?

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:

Panasonic - TH-50PX60u , can be had for a very good price right now. I have seen this at 3 different stores with different results(none of them great). The good people this Forum swear by this TV and claim with proper calibrations it is great. Can I trust these posts? Is it worth saving $500 from the Pioneer which is more than I want to pay?

Thanks.

Check Best Buys Website for newest price. VERY good price and may sway your decision.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
As posted previously, the internals of the 5070/5071 are better and yield better quality SD and DVD. Unfortunately I find most Pios to look softer with HD but this is likely due to settings/calibration. Most owners swear by the set...and it offers features only found on the 600u models with Panny.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I saw the pro 1140 and it looked better than any of the 5070's ( don't get me wrong the 5070's are good) .I head that the 1140's are just better out of the box? and that the 5070 can be calibrated to come close > any thoughts?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

My 50" inch finalist, any suggestions or comments

Of the models specified... I'd say you're best off going with your first two choices: Pioneer or Panasonic. Given BIGGER is better when it comes to home entertainment... I'd recommend choosing the 58" display.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the responses. i went to American(midwest store) again tonight to take another look.

I still love the Pioneer, the Panosonic was worse than the last time i was there, i found the hitachi 50" and really liked it(55" is too big with side speakers for my space), i even thought the toshiba looked good. i think i would be happy with any of these sets.

jorakal - - i did like the 50" hp and thought it was a great deal, but the side mount speakers make it too wide. i can only go 52" in width, this model is 61 with the speakers attached.

i have put more effort into this than buying my last car.

and the sausage business is great. actually a huge ferris bueller fan.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

I still love the Pioneer, the Panosonic was worse than the last time i was there, i found the hitachi 50" and really liked it(55" is too big with side speakers for my space), i even thought the toshiba looked good. i think i would be happy with any of these sets.

While all of these PDPs are capable of rendering a nice picture with HD source content that consists primarily of bright colorful scenes... when they fade to black by comparison the Hitachi's/Toshiba's will render blacks that look more like grey (gray). Contrast & shades of gradation are difficult to appreciate @ the B&Ms with their bright lighting & inconsistent display setups... but when you get the PDP home... that's where the men become separated from the boys. Here's to hoping your choice of displays doesn't end up with black crush.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I formerly worked at one of the big box stores in the tv department and when it was time for me to get a new tv, I just knew that if I didnt get the Pioneer since I had to stare at it every day, I would be kicking myself. Sure, it is more expensive than the others you listed but its worth every penny in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.