AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are veterans and those who are just beginning to explore plasmas, this a pictorial report of my new Pioneer PDP 503CMX. I received the display from Dell ~ 7 days after ordering. The details of the purchase are described in this thread .

I do have a buzzing from the panel. It is only audible if the stereo/TV is off and you stick your head behind the panel. Therfore, it is not a factor. I have one stuck pixel in the right, lower quadrant of the display. I havent noticed it since I stuck my face 6 inches away to inspect it. It is not a factore, although I did not tell my wife about it.

Below is a picture of my entertainment center, before I started. That is a 32 TV which was fine in my old home but now that I sit ~ 13 away it was just to small. I could have fit a RPTV in there if I rolloed out the center bottom console. But I do not care for RPTVs PQ nor does my wife. I could have upgraded to a 36 or 40 CRT but that doesnt seem worth it. Plus plasmas are just sexy.

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The shelving is a modular system that can be customized. Of note, the center console/bridge is separate and can be removed after taking off the top shelf. This was a necessary step because I did not have enough room in height to fit the 50 plasma and my center channel. I considered many other options for that speaker placement but in the end I wanted it above the display. Fortunately, the width of the opening is 49 1/8 and the plasma is 48 widenice fit. The height of the opening was 33 but I needed 3 more. So I remove the center section, disassembled, cut it 3 shorter, then reinstalled.

This is the final product. The open shelf of the lower left hand side is for the HTPC that is under construction.

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another view with the plasma on

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This a view from the side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I elected to use an articulating wall mount for several reasons. First, placing the display on a table top stand would require me to cut too much away from the upper console making it useless to hold components. Secondly, I can swing the display out to have easy access for wiring the above STB, Tivo, AVR etc. Finally, I felt a flush wall mount would set the display too far back in the shelving.

Installation was not difficult. The primary challenge was placing the wall plate at a height so that the display would rest ½ above the bottom console and ½ below the center channel. Once that was accomplished the rest of the assembly was fairly easy.

The bracket for the center channel was made from a four 90 degree angle brackets from Home Depot. Once assembled that were attached to the lower side of the upper console using wood screws.

Here is a look at the bottom consoled rolled out to expose the wall outlets etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a look at the plasma extended. From here I can get to the cabling for the rest of the system. Right now I have to disconnect the component cable from the DVD because is slightly short. But when the HTPC is ready I will be using a 10 DVI cable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a look from below. The 5002 card is installed. That installation was also not difficult and took just a couple of minutes.

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All in all I'd have to say that I am very pleased - no, I love it. This whole process requires thought and planning but would be impossible if it weren't for this forum. Again, I can't say thank you enough.

Right now I'd say that analogue cable looks OK, digital cable looks good, and DVD's look great. That with a cheap Sony interlaced DVD player and Radio Shack component cable.

I have measured hopes for a nice improvement in PQ once the HTPC is online with the Holo3Dgraph > ATI 9500 pro > DVI out.

My set up is probably not as elegant or as formal as some that I have seen, but my goals were more of a casual setting.

I posted to provide information and one example to those who have yet to purchase a plasma. I don't have much to offer this forum as my first hand experience is just begining, but I hope this helps someone.

Scott

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice! I'm jealous

One question: Which wall mount is that on the 503cmx ? It looks like excellent quality / function. Does it articulate or is it designed to be fixed/locked position? OK that was two questions.

One suggestion: Maybe consider putting some type of black panel in the TV socket so the wall does not show through the extra space around the speaker. Just an idea.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mount is a Premier Mount PSD-S90 purchased from plasmaextreme.us. It is a 90 degree articulating mount so it is a little cheaper than the Peerless. Yet, I have fewer degrees of freedom. It is an impressive piece of steel that I would estimate wieghs 50 -60 lbs. Fully retracted the display is 9 3/4" from the wall. It is actually two mounts in one because the arm bolts to a flush mount bracket that comes with its own separate mounting hardware - if you wanted to nix the arm.

I have contemplated buying a couple pieces of shelving that are accessories for this enterainment center. You could cut them to size then install them as panels on each side of the speaker. Or I could make.a couple of small shelves .

However, you have to keep in mind airflow and cooling. I read somewhere, although I can't remember where, that you should 4" clearance area around the display for ventilation. I certainly dont have that on the bottom and sides. Therefore, the spaces at the top and space behind the entertain center makes up for it. I guess.

Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nebari,

Where are you located in New Orleans? I'm in Metairie and I just got my 50" Panasonic plasma. I'm still in the proccess of the install with Off theWall Sound. I got the plasma from DTVExpress, but my speakers, reciever, etc are from Off the Wall.

I paid more than the dell deal for the Pioneer, but I got an extended 5 year warranty by Philips. Paid about $7900 plus $300 shipping, plus wall mount and warranty for the Panasonic. So far it is silent and since my reciever hasn't arrived yet I've just checked out the picture with no sound running and direct component from DVD to plasma.

Once I got the Panasonic, I found this forum and then heard about dell and their plasma prices. Oh well. Anyway sounds good. Do you have digital satellite? Actually just went back and reread and see you have digital cable. I'm hooking up HD Digital Satellite on Tuesday to see how it looks with HDNet. Was also considering building a HTPC. Let me know how yours works, I was looking at the same specs but with an AMD processor.

Fulmitz

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fulmitz,

I have moved to Biloxi since I registered. I elected to just keep N.O. in my profile because people know where that is and I am still just down the road. I would like to get DirectTV but no local channels here. My wife insists on the, not so demanding, abilty to watch the local news and she perfers N. O. channnels. You can receive N.O. channels on D*TV about 5 mi. down the road but not in my zip code. I do get N.O. on cable though. The whole thing pisses me off. At ~100 mi out I think OTA reception would be tough -although I haven't experimented yet.

Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Scott,

My solution to the absence of local channels on satellite was to subscribe to basic cable for locals and then I have Dish Network for digital reception. I will also have HD satellite channels soon (must have the extra dish mounted on my roof). I use my VCR tuner for the cablevision signal.

Fortunately my local cable company offers basic cable for only $12.00 per month. This also allows access to their cable modem internet service (for an extra fee of course). From what I have heard, fees for basic cable vary greatly depending on your provider, but it's worth looking into.

Scott

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
thanks for a great thread.Im about to buy the 433cmx and would like to know how hard it would be for one person to install the 5002 card and the supplied little feet that come with the unit?It looks like the card slot is on the bottom so did you lay the unit flat to put it in?Did it need to be screwed in and did they supply the screws?Same thing with the little feet that I know you didnt use but I have to.would i need to lay the plasma over to attach them and do they come with screws also.I guess you can see my anxiety level on this subject is pretty high but after spending the big bucks you dont want a setup disaster.Finally would you install trhe 5002 card first or would putting on the feet make it easier to install the card?Im stuck having to do this setup myself which forum members say is possible with the 433 but not with the 503. Thanks for your help. Matt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installing the 5002 is really easy. There is a faceplate that comes off with 2 screws. Take the 5002, line it up, push it in, then re-install the 2 screws. Done.

I laid my 503 gently on its face to install the 5002 and the back connector plate.

If I were to use the provided feet and had to do the install myself - which I did not. I would place the display flat on its face and let the bottom over hang just enough to install the feet.

The main thing to avoid is propping the display up on its face to expose the bottom without the face being fully, flatly supported. It shouldn't be a problem.

Possible some others who have used the supplied feet can comment.

Scott

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thanks nebari now i can find other things to worry about.Would laying the display flat on a bed that is soft to install card and feet a better choice than laying it flat on the floor ? I would get no overhang on the floor so the foot installation would be tricky.I fear laying it flat an the hard surface of the stand its going to be on since parts of the display would not completely be supported by the cabinet top. thanks Matt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I placed mine on my dining room table after putting down a couple of blankets that were smoothed out so there were no wrinkles. But I have a suspicion that these displays are tougher than we believe. But I dont want to the one to discover their limits.

Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nebari - your installation looks great and the information is very helpful. I am a newbie and getting ready to buy the 503cmx as well. Question - how far does the plasma sit off the wall when the articulating arm is closed? I want my screen to sit over a one inch wide piece of molding.

thanks chucktarga

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chucktarga,

I measured that and forgot to include it. With this particular mount the front of the display is ~ 9" from the wall. The display is ~ 4", so the mount and articulating arm occupies 5". This is not the most flush mount that you can get, I think the Peerless takes up ~ 4". Nevertheless, with a articulating wall mount the front of the display is going to 8-9" from the wall.

If you want something closer then go with a flush mount. Or you can build a recessed mounting space byt that requires dry wall and stud work, which isn't that difficult but a pain in the #ss nonetheless.

Of note, the Chief mount that I am using is a flush mount that then attaches to an arm. So it can be used in that manner if I want to ditch the arm.

Take a look at this picture to see what I mean. My model does not have the extra elbow in the arm.

I have to admit that I thought that I had ordered the one in the picture which is a 180 degree artic mount. Mine is a 90 degree artic. I was suprised that I ordered the wrong one. But in the end I got it to work and it saved me some $$.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.