Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I now have a 5040 on the way. I plan on upgrading that bad boy fairly soon. However, when I receive it, should I do anything when I get it?

Do I

- open up the 5040 (voiding warranty) before even powering it up and backup the drive before even beginning the activation to help preserve a "virigin" image of the drive

or

- run through the activation and whatnot first and once it is activated and up and running, then go ahead and open it up and take a drive snapshot in it's activated "virgin" state?

I know there are faqs on upgrading drives which I have seen, but they talk about mostly upgrading existing working boxes and thought maybe there is a preferred method for a brand new one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd just keep it awhile and make sure it works well before doing anything. Try it out for a month and then make changes. Also, if you're desperate for space, just opt for darchive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is your 5040 a refurb or brand new? Whatever you do, if you upgrade while under warranty, use a hairdryer to get the sticker off and save the sticker so you can reuse it. I waited a couple of weeks before doing my upgrade to be sure it it had no problems.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Utes
I'd just keep it awhile and make sure it works well before doing anything. Try it out for a month and then make changes. Also, if you're desperate for space, just opt for darchive.
I agree with Utes. You should set up and activate your Replay, then play around with it for a month or two; if all is well, go ahead and do the HD upgrade. But if you can, I would suggest using DVArchive in your PC (assuming you have the space to store programs), then do the HD upgrade when the warranty expires.

That's the safest route.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input folks. It is a brand new unit (not refurb). Sounds like I really should run this thing unaltered for awhile to determine it's stability and performance before cracking it open and that's what I'll do.

Thanks Again

Calvin

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I haven't opened a 5k yet, and all my 3ks have the cases held together by only one screw for quick opening.

DVA has saved me a lot of time by not needing to upgrade anything. =)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no question that DVArchive is a godsend. I have a 4320 and am constantly offloading content to another machine for remote storage so I can clear out the replay. The issue with that is of course that I have a lot of things that I would like to record. If I could have the replays record to a remote DVArchive server, that would be fantastic, but since I cannot, I need to bulk up my replays with as much space possible. having another replay (5040) will allow me to catch stuff that I miss when recording on my 4320 (I have two DSS receivers).

So, I will be looking to upgrade this 5040 as soon as I can determine it's safe to do so. There is something to be said for having the storage locally to the box so it can just accumulate content rather than being forced to constantly offload stuff just ahead of my replay recording it.

Having said all that, without DVArchive and tools like it, replay would be a whole lot less interesting for me (would still buy one, but my excitement would probably be one order of magnitude lower).

I think as soon as I can determine it's stable, I am going with 2 x 250Gigs. When I saw that webpage with someone else's 2 x 250gig mod, I was hooked bigtime.

Cheers

Calvin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.