AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typing this from work, won't be able to play with it till this afternoon/evening. I'll apply UMR's settings tonight and report back probably this weekend.

Initial impression: WOW! And that's with standard cable. The PQ was much better than I was expecting. The wife loves it. Hopefully it will get even better after adjustments.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post their settings and opinions on this set.

Jason

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok 3 letters for this set, WOW!!!

I entered in settings that umr worked up and this thing blew us away when we watched Spiderman. We had the in-laws over and they were suitably impressed as well. The picture was stunning and this was a crappy old RCA dvd player via s-video I can't wait till we get a pro-scan dvd player after Christmas.

PQ overall has increased with the service and user menu adjustments. regular analog cable looks great. As clear as my 32" tv? No. But it still looks good. This sunday I'll check my NFL sunday ticket and see how it goes with DirecTV.

Black levels are actually pretty good on this set IMO. I realize this is very subjective but I have yet to see something that's supposed to be black and think to myself 'that kinda looks grey instead'. Black looks black to me.

Dead Pixels: Bunch of em, most blue, some red, some green. Don't notice them when watching the set and have to be right on it to see them. I have 20/10 eyesight and struggle to pick them out more than 2 feet away.

Movies watched so far: U-571,Top Gun, Spiderman. All looked great.

I took a risk and bought this sight unseen. I wouldn't recommend anyone else do this as I have worried myself sick over whether I made the right choice. I can happily say that I did!!:D If you are considering a dlp set you owe it to yourself to check out the sony. I've seen the sammy 507 in person and can say they each have their advantages and disadvantages so take a look before you buy and good luck!!

Jason

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
jsrdlr ,

Glad to here those settings worked for you. Did you implement everything as posted or did you calibrate some things yourself like brightness?

You might want to try and pick up an old Sony DVP-S7000 if you can live without DTS and use the TVs built in deinterlacer and scaler. These decks can be had on ebay for $200-$350 and the output is reference quality. They play blacker than black and have 7.5 IRE blacks that are equivalent to NTSC. Some are also region and macrovision free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.