AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally broke down and ordered the whisperflow. it arrived about 2 weeks ago but between vacation and work I have been to busy to do much with it. Anyway, I promised photos and the saga so here goes. The process of ordering was easy. I called Dave and told him what I wanted, 2 weeks later fedex knocks at my door. This is what I received. Anchors of various types, the box itself done in flat black per my request, rods to suspend the enclosure, and aluminum "cover" tubes to dress it up. See the picture

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My current mount looks like this. It is "angled" as that where the joist is. It looks a little odd but works well. Given that my joist run the long axis of the room and the box hangers willnot hit any joists i have decided to mount some wood strips to the ceiling to anchor the box to.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I primed and painted some pine molding i got at OSH for 6 bucks. I cut it 38 inches long so it would span 3 joists. Here they are in primer. Whne you see them up they will be the dark ceiling color. Took about 45 minutes work to cut sand and paint without the time to let it dry factored in.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And then I toolk the aluminum cover sleeves that were well aluminum colored primed and painted them flat black. That took 30 minutes again not counting the time to dry inbetween coats. The paint was cheap also at OSH. I used spary primer and spray flat black as I am lazy and it leaves a nice finish.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My room looks like this at present. Sorry it is messy but i will post some "nice" shots when I am done. here is the view towards the screen (110 inch 16:9 firehawk)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the last post for today on this part of the project the view towards the back. Again sorry for the mess but I will also post some nice cleaned up shots when I am done. What you see is an avrack that sits intop of the bar behind the couch. I ran the cables in the joist space and just cut a round hole and snaked them out. Down and dirty but it looks fine. Given that the only time the lights are on in this room anymore is whne the cleaning lady vacuums the black rug I am happy to save a buck or two dialing down the center. Hopefully Monday or Teusday I will get a buddy to come over and mount the wood strips and anchor the box and tell you all the rest. If you have questions fire away i willanswer whatever I can. Once it is up I can tell you the important part...is it quiet or not.

Paul

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No really this is the last post. HAHHAHA here is a close up of the rack. Sorry it is on its side (the picture I mean)

Paul

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elvis

As they say thats where the rubber meets the road. i will hopefully hang it tonight or tommorow night then i willpost those photos and my sense of how well it works.

Paul

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AS promised tonight I tokk down my old mount (anyone want to buy a 7200 mount?) and attatched the painted wood rails across the joists.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AS promised tonight I tokk down my old mount (anyone want to buy a 7200 mount?) and attatched the painted wood rails across the joists.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rather than use the half threaded half screw anchor dave supplied i found an anchor at OSH for less than a buck that is designed to anchor into wood with a 1/4 threaded opening in the center, See pic

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I threaded these into pilot holes I drilled in the wood rails at the right spots. So far this has taken 30 minutes. You will see these anchors in the wood next to the bolt

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then I threaded the long rods into the anchors (In retrospect I should have cut these close to size first, I regret not doing that. Live and learn. I had to go for a beer anyway) The pic shows the rods extending from the ceiling

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried to then put the box on the rods with the painted sleeves by myself. Also not a good idea. Got the neighbour kid to pop over and in a few minutes of sweating got it lined up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now it was time to place the alignment feet/rods through the bottom and put the pj in and run he cables to it. This was harder than anything. the cables are stiff and numerous. As I would hook one up another would pop off. hard to get your hands in there. I almost wish there was an access panel on the back of the box near the cables. One thing became rapidly apparent. Given the lightness of the 7200 having "rest" on its won weingt on the feet like a Dila wont work. Everytime I adjusted something the whole pj would shift or the s cable popped off. Now i need a shower. In my frustration I bent a pin on the s cable (I do not advise this) I fixed that and finally got it all hooked up. I took the extra piece of foam dave sent me and used it as a flexible wedge on top of the pj to creat tension onto the pads. i was then able to easily align and get everything lined up (after I took a break and watched 24 in HDTV)

You can see the foam in this pic.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what do I think? I mean thats the point isn't it? Well first thing my daughter said was "wow thats better without the stupid pj noise." Leave it to a teenager. My wife then said "I dont even hear the pj why did you buy that thing anyway?" My daughter then explained that the box is why she doesnt hear it. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if the fans were too noisy. Then i realized the bar fridge was running. I did turn the fans down to 4.5 from 7. i will place a digital thermometer in the box tomm night and watcha movie see if it gets hot. Any questions? If I were more handy it would have been easier. If I were not so lazy and always trying to cut corners, i would have loosened the wires up from the way i had them before and done that part right the first time. Also If had trimmed the rods first i would have saved a lot of aggravation. otherwise it was easy. More reports to follow. the long and the short. No more color wheel whine. I am happy about that. Now I have to clean up the mess I made.

Paul

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.