AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading post after post in here about the various screens and their pros/cons, I built my screen in about 5 hours yesterday. I only have one picture handy at the moment... I used the following materials:

2- 1x3x96 poplar

3- 1x2x60 poplar

4- L-bracket

2- T-bracket

1- 54"x72" white spandex (Hancock fabrics)

1- 54"x72" grey spandex (Hancock fabrics)

1- 60"x120" black cotton table cloth

White layer is stretched over grey layer. If I were to do it again, I'd get another foot of spandex to it's a little less stretched as a bit more light than i'd like is bleeding through.

For the edges, I took the table cloth and cut it into strips. I folded the strips in half and stretched them across the edges and stapled.

Details to follow - feel free to offer suggestions or ask questions. This is a temporary solution until I figure out a more permanent one. This will eventually be my outdoor theater screen!
IMG_20130516_071735.jpg 1479k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wasn't excited about the PQ of the dual layer spandex - it had a mild "blur" to it. I think that was for 2 reasons:

1. I think I needed more spandex - I stretched the 2 (72") yards across 96" which really thinned out the material.
  2. I think the reflectivity of the dual layers hindered the image due to the refraction/dispersion of light

So, I went and got black out cloth. I didn't remove the spandex, I just stretched it over the spandex layers. It wasn't wide enough to staple the tops and bottoms so I applied 3M fabric glue to attach the borders, which I then gently pulled outwards and stapled. I'm pretty bad at applying the borders evenly, it seems - they're a little wavy, but for my first DIY with fabric of any kind, it's forgivable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.