AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the many contributors to this and other forums, I decided to upgrade my PC to an HTPC. After reading so many posts about all of the elements (thanks to everyone), I decided to go with a Radeon VE. I have a dual-head Matrox G400 in my business PC and I like it. Everyone said that Radeon was better for picture quality, so, even though some people knocked the VE, I decided to go with it. I’m using a Key Digital to hook up my Sony W400 to the PC, so I needed specific resolutions. Thanks to PowerStrip, I’ve been able to set up three resolutions compatible with the Sony. That’s good. How the desktop reacts with the resolutions is bad.

I can set my monitor and the Sony to 856x480 as defined by 400 owners. The settings are exactly what they should be (the Sony displays everything that’s on the monitor); however, the desktop under the display window is set larger than the window viewing it. What I mean is that I can move the cursor to the right and left and cause a larger desktop than is visible to scroll in the window. When I start the ATI DVD player or scalerTV, the full screen image will only appear in the left two thirds of the 16x9 screen. If I move the cursor to the right, the image moves to the left and I can see the left side of the desktop on the right of the screen as I move the cursor. It appears that the DVD player is using a different size overlay (something I know little about) than the size of the screen and the desktop.

Beyond that, when I set the display to 960x540, the display gets a bunch of angled lines. For people old enough to remember TV’s with vertical hold controls, it looks like you just turned that control out of whack. Because of the dual monitors, I can just set the Sony that way, although my monitor and the Sony react the same. When I start the DVD player with the Sony in this condition, it works. The desktop is garbled, but when the DVD overlay starts, it’s just fine. dTV almost works, too. I have to go with 16:9 aspect and full screen, but it will display the TV image. There are some small, regular black dots in the picture. They are not in the DVD image. When I tell scalerTV to show a 4:3 image, it shows in the garbled screen with dark horizontal lines through it and wide left and right pink borders.

If you stayed with me through all of my explanations and you might have some insight as to what I might do, please let me know. I’ve been through all of the Radeon postings I could find, to no avail.

Thanks,

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
839 Posts
May be change your monitor settings. This look like the virtual desktop is of the right size, but the real resolution is lower than that, thus the scrolling.

This might happen if you ask for a 1024x768 resolution, but your monitor settings doesn't allow more than 800x600. It creates a virtual desktop on which you can scroll.

In this case, changing monitor type will tell Windows that you CAN use such a resolution without needing a virtual desktop.

But probably I haven't understood at all your problem and speaking about something 100% ot http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
300 Posts
Stephen at Ati knows about the problem and is looking in to it.

So we can only hope for a soulotion, quit soon I hope!

Love & Peace

Patric

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Chuck,

I've stayed away from the VE for just those reasons that you posted. I use the GF2 twin view and have it pretty well setup. There are similarities between the two, like the scrolling around on the monitor. For me, this only happens when I'm in anything but 640 x 480.

You have your Sony on primary output of the vid card, and monitor on the 2nd, right? My primary goes to my G11, then 2nd to cheapo monitor. When I engage Pwr or WinDVD, the overlay image fills the entire monitor in 640 x 480, no matter what res I'm in with Powerstrip. I cannot see the mouse pointer. I can change the AR on the 2nd monitor from within my twin view properties. Do you have these kind of options with the Radeon?. Also, if you have a box that says "allow windows driver to select overlay aspect", or anything similar to that, don't check it. If I check mine, it gives me a very garbled monitor screen.

I really wish the Radeon card would've been at least as good as the GF, I would've changed to it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the support for dual head cards won't get much better than it is now. There just doesn't seem to be enough folks interested in it to validate a fix or good set of twin view drivers.

Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"May be change your monitor settings. This look like the virtual desktop is of the right size, but the real resolution is lower than that, thus the scrolling."

I've used Powerstrip to define a Sony inf file as 1600x540 capable and told ATI that it's connected to the monitor one connection.

"It is now very much confirmed both on AVS and through my contact with Powerstrip tech support, that Radeon VE does not support custom T&Rs. "

But it does, kind of. I've set up 848x480, 856x480, 880x 500, 960x540 and 1594x540. They all "work". The problem is with the vertical sync on two of them, although the overlay will show. How ever the overlay size is determined, it's screwed up on some of the resolutions. You can define and set them, though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

"There just doesn't seem to be enough folks interested in it to validate a fix or good set of twin view drivers."

This I don't understand. They seem perfect for HTPC. You have to spend more than the price of a good card to get a video switcher. Some people seem to just unplug one and plug in the other when they want to switch. Not good.

FWIW, I've found that I can boot my system with the Sony attached to connector 1 (DB15) and my monitor connected to connector 2 via the DB15 adapter specifying that the dual monitor function is NOT active. This way my monitor shows exactly what is on the Sony, but in it's own resolution. I can then switch resolutions through the monitor on the second connection with Powerstrip, but they only affect the Sony on connector 1. This is good for testing, since a screwed up setting can force a couple of boots, otherwise. If I could get the desktop size versus resolution problem fixed, the vertical sync problem fixed on some of the resolutions and the overlay problem fixed, the VE would have my blessing. Once I get this taken care of, I can get on to fixing Dolby 5.1 in my ATI DVD player and the breaks in the playback of my AccessDTV. Time for those in other threads.

Thanks for your ideas and I'll take any more you have.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update. I've got the VE working just fine! I have to use a custom resolution and timing of 880x500 that I found somewhere. It's difficult to give credit to the right person after doing so much reading. Anyway, I'm viewing DVD's and they look great. I even fixed my Dolby 5.1 problem! See my post above if you're interested. If I can just fix my recording/playback problem on my AccessDTV (probably my VIA chipset), I'll be able to put the covers back on. Does anyone know if ATI is planning on supporting DTS some day?

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
It is now very much confirmed both on AVS and through my contact with Powerstrip tech support, that Radeon VE does not support custom T&Rs. I am not sure about 960x540, but think 856x480 is a custom resolution. I use VE for my 53" Pioneer HD ready set, and a 17" computer monitor. The only resolutions work for my TV are standard 640x480p and 1920x1080i in Powerstrip. Tried them both on the VGA HD input, and AA transcoder to component HD input on my TV. All other custom T&Rs failed on my TV.

I am staying with 1080i for the TV as the primary, 800x600 for the PC monitor as the secondary. TV in 1080i suffers from overscan therefore only good for movies, not desktop.

The VE does serve me right since I use the PC for regular computing tasks while not watching TV. No need to switch cables. Better yet when the TV is showing DVD movies in full screen, I could still work on my 17" monitor.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi there,

I've just got hold of a VE and just got things going with the projector (Barco Data 800) and the picture is *SO* much better than with my Geforce2 MX as the secondary is run off a naff DAC and had RFI probs too, which meant a blury / light ghosting picture.

With the VE i can switch which is the primary (Even via profiles) so i can watch a DVD on the projector and then switch it back to normal PC usage, so the Wife doesn't get confused !

I'm working on the resolution settings....i'd like to get a nice 16:9 mode, i tried 1024x576 and while it ran, it scrolled like a virtual desktop.....I need to see if 1280x760 works, but it was too late last night....Even with 1024x768 and using YXY the picture was so much better.

BTW the directshow filters, unreg 'em in DVDgenie and that'll sort the sound out under the ATI player...i have both ATI and WinDVD running, i've yet to try powerDVD - tonight probably !

Oh also i've noticed in some of the tweakers there are extra res. settings....dunno how aplicable to the VE they are (generic radeon tweakers) but its also something to try !

Cya,

Lee

------------------

Lee Edward Armstrong (now in maried form!) http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~lee

My Clothes Will Impress You, And My Claws Will Undress You. - The Damned

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chuck,

I've been struggling with getting a Radeon VE and the ATI player stable on my Win ME system. I've scrubbed much of the Radeon postings here, put up with the "you got the wrong card answers" but still haven't found a reasonable solution.

The ATI player works somewhat, but will lose "video" when clicking between full-screen and windowed.

What version of drivers are you using on your Radeon? What OS?

regards,

Johann

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi there,

I'm using Windows 98 (not SE) and its certainly stable....i can happily run the ATI Player. Had to use YxY to get a 4:3 window correctly.

Its curently happy at 1024x768 on a barco data 800.

Cya,

Lee

(STill trying to get a true widescreen output though)

------------------

Lee Edward Armstrong (now in maried form!) http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~lee

My Clothes Will Impress You, And My Claws Will Undress You. - The Damned

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.