Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

What follows is my UNPROFESSIONAL review of the Panny AE100 and Panny 75u

Some details of my viewing:

102" Matte White Screen for each

Projectors set up at 11' for each.

Same Panny DVD-RP91K Progressive Scan feeding each.

Component Video into AE100 (AE100 didn't care for hookup below at all).

Component to VGA input on 75u.

Movies watch on both: Jurassic Park 3, Zoro and Fifth Element.

My thoughts on each:

AE100

Even though the AE100 is listed at 700 lumens and the 75u is listed at 1200 they are both very very close in brightness. You can see the screendoor effect at 10' and 15'. Where it becomes most noticeable is in brightly lit scenes. Darker scenes are much better. My vision is average or a little better than. My buddy wears glasses and sais it did not bother him as much. You can defocus the picture to fix the screendoor but neither of us prefered that method. When giving the projector an interlaced signal the picture becomes a tad softer but still looks decent. The 16:9 format is the major advantage of this projector. Price is definitely an issue. I would definitely buy this projector for $1500 if I could find it for that in the US. At $2000 dollars I would probably look elsewhere.

75u

See above info for brightness. You can see screendoor even on a 1024x768 projector although it is much less noticeable. When giving the projector an interlaced signal it stil does a very good job of holding its sharpness. I like the fact that this one is HDTV compatible because I know as soon as I buy a projector I'm going to want Digital Cable (yes I am greedy)

Other thoughts

I liked both. Now this may sound stupid, but both pictures seemed very bright when we started the veiwing but after 2 hours of looking at them they just didn't seem so bright anymore and this was long before we saw the Dukane Projector. If I had my way I'd probably spend the extra money on the 75u. (wish I could find the 75u new for $2000) It was cool though, seeing the AE100 16:9 picture. The company we visited couldn't get their laptop working properly so we didn't get to see a computer image on either unit (very disappointed). He showed us a Dukane 28A8910 about 10 minutes before we left. WOW!! This picture was SWEET!! I was amazed at how bright the image was. It was very close, in my opinion, to RPTV. Please remember, this is my opinion. The only problem with the the Dukane was a green tint to skin tones which I feel could probably be corrected and the $4600 price tag.

Hope this helps someone,

Jerry Quesenberry

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I believe the AE100 takes HDTV input, it will simply have to downscale it. The 75u must do this too, but it has about 44% more pixels when operating in 16:9.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the review Jerry.

As you're probably aware the difference between the component and VGA input on the AE100 is significant. If you ever get the chance to view the AE100 using an HTPC and VGA outputs (and therefore, utilizing the native 856x480p) of the projector, I think you'd have a much different opinion of its visual quality. :)

Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very possible that you are correct. As I said in my original post, this company was not able to do a computer image on either projector, which was the one thing I really wanted to see. I also forgot to mention that both units shown were directly out of the box. The salesperson said that they did not modify their projectors so that customers could see what they actually get when making the purchase.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ jerryqberry

knefab is right, there will be a significant difference on the AE100 using VGA or component; Alo its sad IMO, that the "company" cannot show.

if its possible, look for another, who can do

hb

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove 4 1/2 hours one way to see this projector. I believe I've taken all the day trips I can handle to check out projectors. I don't want you guys to get me wrong. I liked the AE100 if I could get it for $1500 in the states. I just do not feel that it is worth $2000. On top of that, since I live in Va., I would have to pay sales tax $90 and shipping $25 for a total of $2115. So it's not quite so much of a bargain. I am not trying to make AE100 owners mad I am just expressing MY OPINION based on cost.

Thanks

Jerry

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
"Right out of the box" comparisons are tough between the AE100 and 75U because, by all reports here, the 75U is not that far from optimal where the AE100 is until tweaked and properly connected.

Thanks for your report though, the cheap seats crowd seem to like the Panny's and its hard to get good sighted comparisons of the 75U and AE100.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know some people have reservations and negative feelings about buying from Japan. When contemplating my purchase, I did too. But I bit the bullet.

Ordered my unit on Monday afternoon and was using it that same Wednesday. I paid well under $1500 for the projector, double boxing and insurance.

Based on my experience, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.