AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been reading / researching a ton here, hoping to educate myself a bit.

New house = new TV setup.

old house = 32" Sony flat CRT, and a decent Sony HTIB. House was on a slab, so all the speakers were arranged around the entertainment center. Not optimal for sure.

New House:

Snagged a $600 new Hitachi 51F59. Talked my buddy into one too, I've set his up and it's awesome with just a little tweaking.

This is what I'm thinking for my HTIB alternative.

I'm not a true audiophile...don't want to spend a ton, but we do watch DVD's a plenty (Netflix subscriber) and my wife likes to turn the radio now and then.

TV : 51F59 $599

Receiver: Onkyo TXSR504B : $159.99

Center Front Speaker: Going to use the TV's speaker set up for center just for now.

Front's: I'm back and forth on this...

I can get the POLK R300's (floorstanding) for a GOOD price OR

The POLK R150's (bookshelf) and make stands.

SURROUNDS: R150's stand or ceiling mounted

Will add a sub and center later (Fall probably).

Also have to buy a DVD player since mine decided to puke during the move.

Any recommendations ? Non HD.... Seems like 'upconverting' is not for me, since I'll be running components for HD, receiver, and DVD for now. Don't need a multi-disc either.

Black in color as well.

I figure I could get the whole thing done for $1200 INCLUDING the TV purchase.

I'm sure I'll get hooked with the mod bug, because just like my cars, my bikes and everything else that's how it goes.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If the budget is tight I would highly advize holding off on the surrounds for now and get the matching center speaker. Using your TV speaker/s for a center will ruin the soundstage.

Or you can set your receiver for a phantom center effect by telling the receiver there is no center speaker in the setup. This will still give you a center speaker effect until your budget permit.

Whatever you do, don't try using the tv for a center speaker.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Jakeman02 is right...the TV will never keep up and sound out of sync with your fronts...hold off on the surrounds and get at CSi25 or CSR or CSM whatever they are calling it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the old system was a pretty cheap Sony HTIB....decent if that. That's staying with the 32" Sony TV that it was with, but going into a rec/tv/game room in the new house. That way the kids can watch TV, play the wii and the PS2 in surround sound and jam out in a separate room....

So after advice here and other places, here's what's currently already purchased and on the way...

Receiver: Onkyo TXSR504B

(2) Pair of Polk R150's ( main's and surrounds)

(1) Polk RM6752 (center)

I'm going to make stands for mains and surrounds.

Need a stand for the center speaker. Saw the hitachi one after searching here, but doesn't appear to fit the F59 series TV I have.

I'm going to try the Omni Mount that Circuit City sells.

So far components, speak cable, and finally a DVD player

Think it'll sound decent?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hate to say it, but I'm the owner of a pair of Polk R15s, and I'm not impressed. They are my desk system at work, had to get them out of the house. I guess, for the money, they can't be beat, but I'd spend a little more and get something that won't be retired to the garage in a couple years.

But maybe they did something when they went from the R15 to the R150 that made them sound better.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc /forum/post/0

Yes replaced a 32" Sony CRT non HDTV to a Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection CRT.

Excellent Choice. I'm rockin a Tosh 51h83 and couldn't be happier for the $$.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I researched it a ton, and for less than $700 I'm VERY pleased.

My buddy ended up with one too and they love it.

The Polk R150's are here, the center channel is here, the receiver should be here tomorrow.

Going to pick up the racks (wife wanted one for either side to make it look even, so I searched for something pleasing to the eye READ HER EYE, and functional..)

Ended up finding two 'audio piers' left at the local target. Black, and just the right height to hold the front speakers, I'll make stands for the rears.

Ordered cables as well. All I need now is the DVD player. I wish I hadn't researched so much.......the mod bug for AV is just as bad as for my vehicles....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.