AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My AM section has crapped out!! I was listening to the Dallas Stars game on our local AM station through my NAD T742 Receiver. All of a sudden the program goes silent. At first I thought there was a glitch at the station so I sat for a moment waiting for the signal to be restored. After about 5 minutes I changed stations to listen something else. I discovered that the entire AM section was silent. I switched over to FM and that section was working fine. Everything else on the receiver is working as well. The DVD, CD, VHS sections all check out. I realized that the problem was with my receiver. I tried everything. I changed antennas, I un-plugged the receiver (in hopes that it would reset itself) and nothing has been successful. I now hand the problem to you the AVS Forum faithful to help me out. What has happened? BTW the receiver is three years old.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I have no idea what failed in the AM section but I'm impressed your receiver can do AM usefully. Most have the feature but no decent performance at all in AM.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My early 1970s Marantz 2230 and Sansui 661 have very capable AM sections. While frequency response cuts off at 5k, strong stations have lower IM distortion and better overall quality than on most newer sets.

AM on my newer Sony STR-D311 two-channel A/V receiver is unimpressive by comparison. Most of my serious AM listening is on the GE SuperRadio III.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy /forum/post/13226679

AM on my newer Sony STR-D311 two-channel A/V receiver is unimpressive by comparison. Most of my serious AM listening is on the GE SuperRadio III.

Isn't 'serious AM listening' an oxymoron?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Q: Isn't 'serious AM listening' an oxymoron?

A: Nah, mainly like to check out news shows. In the wide-bandwidth mode, the SuperRadio shows how good AM audio truly can be. Having said that, I don't listen to FM or AM as much as in the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts