Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my results from antennaweb.org

The last 3 (2 red and 1 violet) arent really important to me, but hey, the more HD the better right?

anyway, what do you guys think would be the best antenna for me to get, After looking at the compass orentations would I just be better off trying to lock in on NBC, FOX, WB, and CBS? or would a good omni pull them all?

Thanks.

* yellow - uhf WPXI-DT 11.1 NBC PITTSBURGH PA 357° 23.2 48

* yellow - uhf WTAE-DT 4.1 ABC PITTSBURGH PA 39° 11.7 51

* yellow - uhf WPCB-DT 50.1 FMN GREENSBURG PA 30° 19.1 50

* yellow - uhf WPGH-DT 53.1 FOX PITTSBURGH PA 358° 25.4 43

* yellow - uhf WQED-DT 13.1 PBS PITTSBURGH PA 2° 21.7 38

* yellow - uhf WCWB-DT 22.1 WB PITTSBURGH PA 358° 25.4 42

* yellow - uhf KDKA-DT 2.1 CBS PITTSBURGH PA 356° 25.4 25

* red - uhf WQEX-DT 16.1 HSN PITTSBURGH PA 2° 21.7 26

* red -uhf WNPA-DT 49 UPN JEANNETTE PA Awaiting FCC Permit 2° 21.7 49

* violet - uhf WNPB-DT 24.1 PBS MORGANTOWN WV 174° 31.4 33

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcatalfamo
anyway, what do you guys think would be the best antenna for me to get, After looking at the compass orentations would I just be better off trying to lock in on NBC, FOX, WB, and CBS? or would a good omni pull them all?
Omni-directional antennas are really bad for digital reception.

Based on your results, I think a rotor is going to be necessary to get all the stations reliably. The spread is too wide for most antennas.

I'd look at an AntennasDirect DB4 or DB8 for your location.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sregener
Omni-directional antennas are really bad for digital reception.

Based on your results, I think a rotor is going to be necessary to get all the stations reliably. The spread is too wide for most antennas.

I'd look at an AntennasDirect DB4 or DB8 for your location.
Actually looking at the range again they arent really spread out that much at all.

NBC @ 357

FOX @ 358

WB @ 358

CBS @ 356

PBS @ 2 (which is only 6 away from CBS @ 356)

HSn @ 2

UPN @ 2

So all are within 6 degrees except ABC, FMN (what is FMN anyway?), and a second out of state PBS ( I think one PBS is more than enough)

Couldnt I just aim the antenna dead north at 0 (360) and just sacrifice ABC?

I will look into the DB4 and DB8, thanks for those suggestions

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
Try the local info & reception forum & find the thtread for your area, and see what people near you are using.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=45
Unfortunately, the closest one in that forum is the pittsburgh, pa thread, and the majority of the posters in that thread live about 10 mile north to northwest of pittsburgh, I live about 20 miles southeast of pittsburgh, lots of difference in terrain between my location and theirs.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the violet and red stations. You already have a close yellow-level PBS, no need for another. Home Shopping Network is not HD, I wouldn't care about that one. The UPN station isn't on yet since they dont' have a FCC permit. Just get a simple antenna for the close yellow stations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All my stations were in the red zone by antennaweb.org. My situation is worsened by a water tower 3 blocks away that I cant see through all the monstrous trees, directly in line with the antenna farm 21 miles away. I figured it was a waste of time but I was determined to give it the best chance possible. I bought the ChannelMaster 4228, same as the DB8, a 8 bay bow-tie. It was the highest gain I could find locally, 15db in a small package. Stuck it up in the garage rafters and pointed it with an old TV. I could pick up a few snowy channel's so I figured I was beaten. I hooked it up to the E* 811 anyway to see what would happen with a scan. I'll be damned if it didn't find every channel available at 85% or better.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
jcatalfamo said:

I will look into the DB4 and DB8, thanks for those suggestions
The DB8 is much more directional than the DB4 (and of course has higher gain too). Furthermore, the DB4 is very poor at rejecting multipath interference unless it comes from the rear. Your channels are so close to each other that the DB8 seems right for you.

My source is http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS — a fount of antenna info.

I'm 21 miles away from an antenna farm, and antennaweb.org says all my digital channels are red, but tall trees and a big hill intervene. I get lots of multipath interference. So I'm leaning strongly toward the DB8. However, now that the leaves are gone, I feel I have to wait 'til spring before mounting and testing any replacement for my inadequate SquareShooter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.