AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between my girlfriend moving in, recently expanding my cable package, and now getting strange low signal errors on my DCT I think it might be time to expand beyond the single cablecard tuner.

This is a diagram of my current set up. Basically I have one HTPC and two WMC extenders on a non-gigabit network:

Occasionally I get momentary NETWORKING ERROR messages and stuttering on my extenders. It only happens for a second, but it is enough to make me fear that using a network attached tuner will crush my bandwidth and cause problems on the HTPC too.

I've survived just fine for years with just the single tuner cablecard tuner, so two really is more than enough. I guess I'm leaning towards the Ceton PCIe quad. In the not too distant future I would like to get a second HTPC. How well does Ceton network bridging work now? I assume the PCIe version would work better for this than a USB based one.

I also have some issues with ingress on my cable line. If one of the tuners is more tolerant of noise and other interference problems it would possibly be the best one for me.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You will just replace ATI DCT with Ceton, re-pair the cable card, and go on your merry way.

IF you are really going to get a second HTPC, go for a network attached tuner, either SDHRP or InifniTV6 ETH, this way you don't have mess with bridges, which tie up tuners permanently to a machine, whereas dynamic tuner sharing does not on the Ethernet attached models.

Edit: Please be aware of the limitations imposed by using multiple HTPC's.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main concern with the networked tuner is that I will have bandwidth issues on my main HTPC. Networking is definitely my weakness when it comes to this stuff - on my Xbox I've been struggling to keep my NAT open. So even setting up the bridge would be all new to me too.

My hope is that this summer I will ditch condo life for a house that I can put a projector in. I will probably have two components in there - a PC running Media Browser Theater that is more optimized for 24p and movie watching (along with having an option to watch cable), and an Xbox 360 for gaming and WMC/HBO.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
If you're not GigE you could have an issue with the network, I saw congestion with a couple of TVs on my 100mb setup (with a network tuner) before I upgraded then the problem went away.

I personally would not give Ceton the money after what they did with the Echo. Not to mention that by most accounts the HDHR Prime performs better anyway, but if you want to reduce the network requirements it sounds like you need the Ceton tuner.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33  /t/1521098/my-ati-cablecard-tuner-seems-to-be-on-its-last-legs-help-picking-a-new-one#post_24442242

My main concern with the networked tuner is that I will have bandwidth issues on my main HTPC. Networking is definitely my weakness when it comes to this stuff - on my Xbox I've been struggling to keep my NAT open. So even setting up the bridge would be all new to me too.

My hope is that this summer I will ditch condo life for a house that I can put a projector in. I will probably have two components in there - a PC running Media Browser Theater that is more optimized for 24p and movie watching (along with having an option to watch cable), and an Xbox 360 for gaming and WMC/HBO.

IF you have wired gigabit network, you are going to be well within the limits. We have 12 tuners, and 5 extenders (6 TV's total) and we rarely break 1/3rd network capability.

Sure, if you have a gigabit internet connection that you are fully utilizing, adding network TV will affect it. I don't know what it costs to get gigabit internet, but FiOS charges like $300/month for 300 Mbps internet, and I am perfectly happy with the cheap 20 Mbps connection.

BTW, XBOX and extenders are 100 Mbps, so gigabit connection will be between the tuner - switch, and switch - HTPC.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You would only need gigabit connection between the tuner - switch and switch - HTPC

Everything else will function just fine on the 100 Mbps connection.

What's the limiting factor? The wires them selves or the hardware?

Cat5e supports gigabit. Unless you have Cat3 wire. Some Cat5 will even support speeds over 100 Mbps over short distances.

So, if the limiting factor is the hardware, gigabit switches are cheap, $20. And Gigabit NIC's are cheap.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Agreed, I have cat5 and all I did was replace my main 100mb switch with a cheap Trendnet GigE switch and had no issues after that with either Xbox or Linksys extenders. Only the HTPC and the Prime are GigE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will need an "M-Card" cable card for a multi-tuner cable card device. What you probably have is a "S-card" type cable card for the ATI tuner. Actually, I'm not sure if the ATI tuner only works with a S-Card, so you might already have a M-Card. I'd check to see what type of card you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.