AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I had a few conversations with YW84U regarding his DIY rack here's the linky http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=101172   and made my attempt at replicating it to the best of my ability. 

I still need to paint the shelves and layout my wiring to make it nice and clean which those photos will be coming but I told Tom I would post pictures on progress so here's a few.  I had a few issues that came about during my construction of the rack one being the stud that ran almost right down the middle of where I cut out the drywall.  I was unable to cut off an additional 1.5" from the stud above the cutout to allow for a top header but I braced it and think it will do just fine.  Other than the fact that I was very limited on space I was only able to create a height of about 35" although if I absolutely need to I can cutout more of the drywall from the bottom as I have about 7 inches below that I could utilize.  Since I really only have about 5 components this size was just right with the additional space being used for disc cases etc.  All in all it was a quick throw together DIY which went pretty well.

Again I want to thank YW84U for the inspiration :p and appreciate him taking the time to discuss my options via instant messages. 

This is where I was unable to cut that extra 1.5" of the stud above the cut out so I was unable to run a top header of the rack so I added a brace for additional support.

To the right in the door opening you can see what I'm working with now UGHH!!!!  It's painful to say the least but was adequate for the time being.

·
Audio Pack Rat
350 Posts
So are you still building this rack or have you finished it?

BTW how much weight will those shelf brackets hold?

Looks good so far and I was looking forward to see the finished look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I am still working on it but have had a few things come up so I've had to delay the final touches.  I did manage to get all my wiring stuffed in conduit to tidy things up but haven't been able to complete the trim or painting etc.  I've got my components installed and everything seems to be working well.  I would have to say the shelves can hold quite a bit of weight not sure exactly but I would say 50 lbs would be a fair guess.  Also depending on what type of material you use for the shelf itself can play a big part in what you can put on there.  I used 1/2" panels and I see no deforming of the panel with any of my components on them but going with a heavier material in 3/4" versions would for sure put any concerns at ease.  All in all it turned out really well and hopefully in the next few weeks I can put the final touches on it and get some more pictures up.  I'm still having a hard time deciding on what I want to do for the front whether I do similar faceplates like Tom did or paint everything black with some final touches on the fronts of the shelves and place a door on it.  Still uncertain but I'll get some pictures up on the progress.

Components installed.

A little cable management not sure I like the red clips but they were given to me so I gave them a go.

Tidy up the network.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So I thought I would let anyone know who might be watching this that due to a job change and requirement to move out of state my current work on this project is suspended indefinitely in this house.  I apologize for not getting through this quick enough to show a finished product, but I'm hoping once I find a new house I can hopefully get started on another project similar to this and finish something for once.  Thanks to all who might have been following this and appreciate the support during this project. 

If a moderator feels it's necessary to delete this partial project since it will never see an ending feel free to do any clean up as necessary. 

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts