AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Belts were still available two years ago.

I'm not that worried about a belt breaking, I decided I can make one if a need arises.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Carpet is installed.

My carpet purchase was a fun one for sure. Cost I brought up several messages back. I purchase the best 8 pound pad for this commercial grade carpet. It gives it the soft feel yet not a plush carpet. The carpet company that makes it had custom carper available where you can change the colors of any thing in the pattern. What I was interested in was the black carpet used in the pattern carpet I chose. I is by far the darkest black I have found in carpet available in my area. No hint of grey or blue but really Black black.

My sales person got the mill on the phone to ask if they could make a solid black carpet using the same black that was used in the pattern carpet I was purchasing. They said sure thing we can. We make that all the time. That right there ended my search for a solid black carpet to match the pattern carpet I wanted. It was the same grade etc.

The installers where great and very professional. They took their time and made sure every thing was measured tightly as they made the carpet outside. Essentially they made a rug on my driveway and brought it inside and fit it into position and trimmed it out into the room. Pattern carpet in the middle with that solid black carpet miter cut on the outside framing it out. Pattern carpet was used on the 2nd row riser and the solid black was used also on the 2 piece front stage

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
A few more pictures of the carpet install.

Here you will see the ultra flat 10 gauge wire for the buttkickers and or near field subs.
Just a thin slice for them to come through.

Also in the pictures is the lower front stage being covered in black carpet.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just a couple more.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just found your thread (What I would do differently -->Litterbox-->DavidK442-->your thread).

What a great looking room. Sorry I missed following along live. (You could have gotten some free labor out of me since we live so close!)

I have a little multipurpose 10x10 room that I have recessed the projector into the wall aimed at a 72". I have been dreaming of a dedicated room for quite awhile. Probably closer now than I was a couple of years ago.

I just want to say great job!

What are you using for a control system?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Just found your thread (What I would do differently -->Litterbox-->DavidK442-->your thread).

What a great looking room. Sorry I missed following along live. (You could have gotten some free labor out of me since we live so close!)

I have a little multipurpose 10x10 room that I have recessed the projector into the wall aimed at a 72". I have been dreaming of a dedicated room for quite awhile. Probably closer now than I was a couple of years ago.

What are you using for a control system?
Hello and I see you are on the Jacksonville thread also. Thank you for checking out my thread build and the nice comments you left. I like your multipurpose room as well. As for my control system at the moment I'm using a Harmony Hub/ Echo with Alexa voice and an old cellphone. It's great what we can re-purpose old phones for.
Have fun and thanks again for stopping by,

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
great build thread Chris...cant want to see all the completed pics..or perhaps the room itself..GTG????

Reactions: Chris Young

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Reactions: Chris Young

·
Registered
506 Posts

Thought I would quote myself on the (near) 1 year anniversary of finding this thread. One of the things that strikes me is how much of a soliloquy the thread was. Thanks for posting even without the feedback.

It was good to put a face to the name on Saturday in Jax. Now I just need to pressure you into a show and tell before I get to deep into the reconfiguration of my new space!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hello All,
Wow, it has been awhile. I've been so caught up in life and from building the 4 VBSS's as an experiment in 2017. In 2018 I added Atmos Top Front and Top Rear speakers on ceiling mounts 4 M&K S100B and removed the front 6/8 M&K's for 3 Diysg HTM-12's. I worked more then I had time to do projects. in 2019 I have added 2 sealed 15" OLD Adire Tempest in 2 of the theater rear columns and this next project. Life sure does happen but what a fun ride.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across another member here that has been around here for some time. And he had a New idea to share on his update build thread. It's called the BOSS. This is a bass shaking platform in 2 flavors. One is a low rider for the front row and the other is a high riser for the 2nd row. It's big claim to fame is it uses the Cheaper priced JBL's on the market for car auto. I'll leave it to @trhought (Tim) at his build thread to give you the proper directions and low down on building this Awesome platform.
The Hideaway Theater - featuring the BOSS

I don't want to get long winded in posting this so I'll get to the point of the BOSS and the flavor I went with so far and why(Short version) I can always add more soon in other posts'

The BOSS I chose to build is the Low Riser for my front row. This beast has to be experienced and not just thought about oh what if?
I had purchased 6 JBL 12" Subwoofers from Best Buy around Christmas time when they ran some nice prices for these. $29.99 each. So if we look at Tum's design it calls for 3 on either BOSS setup. I had not planned to go in this direction with these subs. Price was good and figured I'd find a way for them in the theater. Well, I almost got to the point of returning them and it was that week my return policy was running out that I remember searching for some Box designs and ideas but got no inspiration from the finding. Somewhere along the line of reading in a thread, I came across Tim @trhought with his build thread in his signature. I clicked it and it was a learning experience and a reminder of some testing I did long ago with subwoofers sitting on the couch cushions next to me firing down and really feeling the movie I was watching. That kind of nearfield just wasn't practical but what Tim has done here is bringing me as close to that experience as I have ever gotten sense then. Thank you Tim.

Okay, my theater has a front row of 3 curved leather chairs. Writing this now I forgot to post here that I had gotten these wonderful 100% leather hide (no splits) chairs. So So So comfortable. i really enjoy watching a movie in these chairs
So the front row is wider in length than a 4 by 8-foot sheet of plywood used to make most BOSS risers so I had to stretch it. It's crude but it's stable and I knew it would last a long time the way I finished it. I used metal strip bars and right angle pieces along with PL adhesive to join the seems of plywood. Sanded one side facing up on the ends and the chairs covered the rest of the seem.
I painted the top of the BOSS entirely and router round over the perimeter edges. Only painted the underside edge as you will see in the pictures. I started with box cardboard to create a templet and blue painters tape to create sharp pattern edges to trace onto the plywood. The nice thing was I only needed just over half the length of cardboard to make my BOSS riser pattern as it would be a mirror curve on the other side as well so I just flipped it to the other side and lined it up.
The cardboard made things nice when it came down to placing each 12" sub in its location one under each seat. This way I could trace out on the cardboard hole pattern to cut exactly to fit, as there is not much front to back under those reclining electric chairs with the power pack and metal mechanisms.

I'm going to stop here for some pictures and post more information in the next section.
Thanks for reading,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This is awesome @Chris Young .....nice work on the curved BOSS. Another member has a similar curved front row and is looking for ideas on how to make his BOSS work with that arrangement. I'm going to share a link to your build thread over on my thread also to help anyone who may have a similar dilemma.

Can't wait to see how your BOSS finished out for your setup. From the pictures so far, it looks like it will integrate quite nicely into your curved front row.....Bravo!

Also, can't wait to hear of your impressions so far!

Just awesome!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wow fantastic start on the BOSS, I'll be watching and awaiting your impressions. Cant wait to see it finished up and see what you think. I bet it's gonna be killer and compliment your HT experience wonderfully, tying it all together with awesome tactile response, which is a HUGE part of it IMO! I'm gonna try one too I think in the near future :)

Awesome build and HT room BTW!! I love the looks of that huge curved screen too!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Thank you both @trhought and @SBuger for the motivation and kind words in your posts and for visiting my old thread.

SBuger I remember reading your thread on both changes of theater space. If I remember correctly I first found you in the Nearfield Bass Thread for TR and using the Berry 1200? On top of other subs behind the seating if I have that correct. What a cool and great looking dedicated HT you have now. I think I found that out from finding you in the Once you go black...Thread ya they didn't like the original name, did they? LOL
Okay let me see here SBuger you have 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs good lord man and you want the BOSS. Something tells me something is getting sold after that is built. But if you first don't like it dial it in just like anything else (very little by the way)
Crowson are still on my mind but it might just be for the back row or not. It depends on what I change there next. Please hit me up first if you go to sell any of the Crowsons.

Have fun,

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Thank you both @trhought and @SBuger for the motivation and kind words in your posts and for visiting my old thread.

SBuger I remember reading your thread on both changes of theater space. If I remember correctly I first found you in the Nearfield Bass Thread for TR and using the Berry 1200? On top of other subs behind the seating if I have that correct. What a cool and great looking dedicated HT you have now. I think I found that out from finding you in the Once you go black...Thread ya they didn't like the original name, did they? LOL
Okay let me see here SBuger you have 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs good lord man and you want the BOSS. Something tells me something is getting sold after that is built. But if you first don't like it dial it in just like anything else (very little by the way)
Crowson are still on my mind but it might just be for the back row or not. It depends on what I change there next. Please hit me up first if you go to sell any of the Crowsons.

Have fun,
Good memory, yep I was in that Nearfeild thread a lot and used the 1200d for a while, downstairs in my previous setup (same house). Man that thing brought me a lot of joy in that setup lol Not using it now, but am everything else in the new room. And thanks for the compliment on the new room BTW!

LOL, yeah I've pretty much got TR covered and probably have as much of it as I could ever want the subs super close behind, MAs and BKs all working together. And I do love it and have for quite a while in this new space as well as the older one downstairs.

It's just that I'm very intrigued by the BOSS and looks and makes sense that it could very well be absolutely amazing in a lot of ways, so I'm gonna give it a go at some point if for no other reason than just to check it out, especially since it doesn't cost a lot to do so and then is just mainly the time spent to get it done. One of the things I love about this HT and bass hobby is experimenting, especially with the TR and bass related stuff, as that's where the real love is at for me most of the time. Like I was saying, what I have gives me what I was after and then some probably and am very happy with it, but I do like to keep an open mind about it all and am always willing to try something new. You just never know when you may stumble onto something better than you even though possible. I hope it is, I'd be totally cool with that and would/will embrace it if it is. Will be fun either way.

But if I do ended up liking it better, yep I'll probably be selling off the Crowsons and BKs, or part of them anyway, we'll see I guess (hell I may use them all though, who knows with me when it comes to TR LOL). But if I do sell, I'll definitely let you know about the MAs. Cant imagine ever doing away with them or the other TR components I'm using, but hey, you just never know because the BOSS sounds amazing on a lot of levels :)

This place is awesome and has a way of keeping things interesting with different gear, setup and ideas that can be used/tried from different folks :)

Good stuff!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Okay SBuger I've decided I'm not going to sell it on you or anyone.:rolleyes:;)

Yet, what I say in the expressions about my thoughts of my BOSS build is not to say its the BEST idea to come along in TR sense Nearfield Berry 1200 hit the thread as the goto product. But...IT IS!!! :D and it's on the cheaper side of those nice and sought after Crowson.
Shoot that pair went up in price awhile back by $90ish. $90ish covers without tax 3 JBL's of Sale for the BOSS.
But to say that the BOSS and Crowsons and or Buttkickers can't live in the same room or platform is just missing out on the possibilities that could be explored and even surprised at the tremendous output or outcome of that combination. (SBuger you have both and subs to boot)

I agree with you SBuger about "I do like to keep an open mind about it all and am always willing to try something new." Yep that how great this hobby can be is finding that new and experimenting with it or just trying it out for a while then turn it on its ear and something new comes from that experimentation.

Before I go any further I wanted to bring up what @trhought mentioned in his thread about the BOSS low riser not making a lot of sound and he is so right. It's so much TR and blends in with the bass and sub-bass frequencies already playing in the room/movie that it helps you turn down the volume of your subs (if you so desire by not adding so much after say Audyssey or Auto EQ)) or in my case the system as a whole (Main Volume) and enjoy my movie experience without being hard on my ears. I love a good demo at a loud level and my subs can very well belt it out when called do to so but I've been known to get a text message late at night from my friends next door (A Cop) mentioning that they can hear me. Lol Yeah, that's not what I want happening yet I want to enjoy my experience 24/7 if I can. But usually, that had only happened on a night that I changed something in the bass area that caused that text to come in from me pushing the system harder thinking all must be good...The BOSS is answering my desires for TR and without pushing my system and most importantly my Ears harder.

Well, it's gotten late on me here so I will bring you some new information to this build as soon as I can. I will leave you 2 pictures of the Type of paint and color I used for the BOSS as well as my theater walls and ceiling.
Stay tuned and thank you for visiting and reading,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
@Chris Young @SBuger

You guys are crazy, but in the best possible AVS way! MA's and BK's on you BOSS's....Wow. Can't even imagine what those would do when all put together. Could be good in a constructive reinforcement way, or it could not be good in a destructive cancellation way. Looking forward to learning more about your experiments as those happen, and I'm sure they will if history is any indicator of things to come...lol.

I'm more of a set and forget kind of person. Once it's all setup, I put all my measurement tools away and won't touch them for 5 or 10 years...lol. Probably because I travel a lot and like to keep things simple for the family who use the theater a lot when I'm not around.

That's what I love so much about the BOSS....I didn't have to get any of my measurement tools out again and we've been re-discovering all our favorite demo scenes and music ever since.

As Chris mentioned, the MV doesn't have to be high any more. We can comfortably listen at around 10-15 dB MV levels to any program material and the experience is incredible when sitting on either of my BOSS platforms (front or back). I also, don't get those, "turn it down" comments any more....quite the opposite, every one is so engaged in the movie or music now. When I'm in the front row and turn around, they're not on their phones in the back row, they're staring at the screen in awe.....that's so weird to see and I'm still getting used to it...lol.

Additionally, at those lower MV levels, everything is so clear as the rest of the speakers are coasting along doing what they do best all around us without being strained. The overall experience has been multiplied by just adding one more component to our theater....the BOSS. And, I don't get any complaints from anyone in the morning after my 2-3 hours listening sessions late at night when everyone has gone to bed. Pure Sweetness as that's my normal downtime and therapeutic for me in so many ways!

Always great to see a new tool come along in our hobby that can help enhance the personal experience and goals we chase in our own theaters/living rooms. The BOSS is so low-cost, and can be hidden away in most setups (high WAF), I'm hoping to see many different applications of it and a lot of experiments along the way with it as a building block to see what else can be born....awesome hobby of ours!

Keep up the great work, I'll be following along with much anticipation!

Chris....can't wait to see your finished BOSS, enough with the teasers man.....lol.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice post @Chris Young (both you and Tim)! Lots of good points. Part of the reason I wanted a system that can really dish out the TR (and still feel natural and believable) is that I'm not one of these guys that can handle super high SPLs well. My ears just don't seem to tolerate it as well as most of the high SPL junkies around this place. At my highest I'm listen around -10mv, although bass is usually boosted a fair amount plus a rising house curve (about 10-12db) over speakers usually depending on the movie track, so puts my bass levels around reference, but no way am I ever with Master Volume levels higher and up around 0. This is during the day, but at night, I really have to keep it down when all are sleeping past 9 or so. MVs stay around -20mv with the same kind of sub boost, but can get away with it. But what makes it still very exciting, is the TR from it at these lower levels. It truly does make it seems like your getting way more bass than you actually are and really connects you to the film. However one get the TR though, IMO/E it's such an important part of the experience and I want to be able to have it a lower to reasonable listening levels for the ole ears, as well as the family and neighbors just like you say.

Yep, $90ish cover all 3 JBLs, then a little for the amp and plywood etc. Barely a fraction of the cost of the Crowson MAs (even though they are damn good and worth it I think). But hell, I do hate to think about how much I have wrapped up in 4 MAs, let alone 2 more recently for 6, which I probably don't even need as 4 is great, especially in combo with the subs real close and the BKs. All of it together is not chump change, but worth it to me. But this BOSS could be just as good or maybe even better for a ridiculous cheaper way in comparison.

So sounds like you've tried it out then and a big thumbs up already. AWESOME!! Cant wait to hear more impressions!! Have you ever experienced Crowson MAs by chance?

Great post as well @trhought and lots of great points. Sounds like the BOSS is exactly what you needed/wanted and works extremely well for everone!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, let's get on with this build of the BOSS.

I noticed looking at last post (Post 50) about the BOSS in picture #5 (Cardboard on top of the wood) I should have pointed out the imprints of the chairs foot (the four circular marking in the cardboard) By doing that and having it on the board helped me line up the sub and foot areas of the underside foot supports under the BOSS to the chairs foot. I hope that makes sense and helps you, folks, out building your Low profile BOSS.

Tim goes over the isolators (rubber feet for the BOSS) that he recommends. Frankly, with my setup, there is a very, very, I mean a very noticeable difference in the isolators I ended up using compared to what I started with. It's not that the isolators I started didn't work they did and very well. But the ones Tim Recommended to go with from Amazon are spot on for my setup. That riser now floats and moves/rocks. See video link(
Yep, the cost went up some for me compared to what I was starting this project with (Parts Express 2 1/2"W by 1" and original Buttkicker isolators) but at what $5 each in a 4 pack purchase of the 2 1/2" W by 1 1/4: H is a deal. It would be hard press to find a better price without volume pricing from China or a USA distributor and even then how much less at what volume. The other big plus is these don't seem to be sticky on the floor surface side that they sit on. That's huge. Another brand out there has reviews as to being sticky and is recommended to put plastic wrap on them first before placing on the floor.
Don't get me wrong the ones at Parts Express work and the Buttkicker isolators that come with a kit or for sale each work even better(More cost) but how much more depends on the quantity needed for your riser(s) The ones that Tim recommended works best for my Lowriser.

Okay about that noticeable difference with the isolator feet.

The Parts Express isolator work well and provide a very sturdy platform and great for heavy furniture. In fact, I put that on the bottom of my 3 chairs after getting them installed. Just adding those feet helped with TR from my subwoofers in the room. When I added my Buttckers LFE kits to the center chair it did help with being the correct height already required and I didn't need to adjust much. The Buttkickers worked well to a point but as people know they tend to get noisy and also bottom out and clank sometimes. Sorry I got off track...With the solidness/stiffness of the platform, the JBL's shook the riser very well and felt very natural but I wasn't quite making that below 10 Hz as well as I had hoped. (Think Resonant frequency for the riser) Probably higher than 10 Hz. It's not that I didn't feel anything it's that I didn't feel that much of anything. (Not a design issue on Tim's part) But what I had noticed was that the shaking was happening toward the rear and back of the chairs. Folks this is not in any way a bad thing that fact that it was providing more shake and natual feeling to what I was watching over what the Buttkickers had been doing was already worth the effort of making this BOSS Lowriser.
At first, I said well let's fight this just a bit against my better judgment and remove the Parts Express Feet from the bottom of my chairs and put back on the stock hard plastic feet. (Picture comparison below)
Yeah, that was a mistake but I needed to be sure. Isolation chairs on isolation from earth (BOSS) was the way to go for me. So the Big Rubber feet went back on.
So for the moment I'm enjoying the BOSS with some demo material and non-demo material and found that the front of my chairs really lacked in vibration Until....I raised the reclining part to put my feet up. That's when things became a little exciting. I could feel the BOSS providing vibrations across the entire chair. But something wasn't quite right with it yet. Remember that not getting below 10 hz area, well more was happening than just that. Between front and back didn't quite have a similar enough feel. Okay, let's try the Buttkicker Isolators...

Buttkicker isolator feet - I didn't have enough of at the time I tested so 4 Parts Express feet were used in this test. The 4 corners. I also had to add 2 thick fender washers to the Buttkicker Isolators to match the height of the 4 Parts Express feet.
The Buttkicker feet changed things for the better. I started to get down to the 7 to 5hz area and quite a bit more TR and things got more exciting and more frequencies flowed through the BOSS to the chairs. The BOSS felt more responsive to the sounds being sent to it. Had I stopped here I would have called it a success but I like to push things and sometimes follow the recommended directions and items to go with so I ordered up 3 packs of the recommended isolator feet Tim linked to in his thread. If you choose to go with the Buttkicker Isolators it will probably make some positive differences but your mileage could vary.

The recommended Isolators - Here is where things get Awesome. I removed all of the other feet from the BOSS and cleaned the surface where the other feet attached and picked at the area of the screw hole. I then installed the New isolator feet. That 3M stick on sticks very well. Once it's there it looks like it's going to stay.
When I laid the BOSS on the floor and stood on it, it felt like a hovering board. It was a floating feeling, a soft feeling. But the JBL's had their clearance needed under the BOSS so I tested the BOSS standing on it. It makes sense that the feeling of the front edge didn't have the same vibration as got towards the rear closer to the drivers but man was this BOSS moving so much more with these softer feet. I put the chairs back on the BOSS and demo material playing. I had to think for a moment did I turn up the volume on the amp running the BOSS? I checked and no I had not. This setup has more TR than the other feet used on the BOSS. The subtleness of Bass vibrations coming from this BOSS riser was something that had the Lowest volume of bass sounds feeling emotional and real with the other Subs in the room. The recommended feet for this setup from Amazon have a Shore A rating of 20 Duro right there with a rubber band. I think that this project is money and time well spent and would recommend this setup and even the other 2 I tried prior are good options and may work better in your setup/room.

YouTube video of the BOSS moving only under my help to show that this Lowriser moves best on the isolators recommended by Tim @trhought

Both of the other feet gripped into the carpet floor much more especially the Parts Express version which made the BOSS rigid.

Writing this reminds me of building a 2nd row riser for my theater and finding information about making your riser weak and flimsy (No Cross bracing) and mount your Buttkicker on the longest wall of that riser for the best TR. And if you had 2 to put on to your riser run them on the other long wall out of phase of each other for some extreme TR. I'm thinking that that's what's going on here its the flimsy soft mounting floating off the floor is that longboard not being reinforced by cross sections of support (Harder feet/ Higher Duro number) making it to rigid. Or to many may have the same effect.

Okay fading here for sleep. Thank you for reading this much long a post.
Have fun,

The last picture is of the BOSS in the wild. Enjoy and build one...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Great write-up Chris.....and that last picture showing how everything finished out.....looks professional with that gloss finish!

Regarding the isolators, yes, the softness is the key. And, as you discovered the hard way, don't mix the isolators or the platform won't respond linearly. Using the same isolators underneath the BOSS allows it to respond naturally. Also, the stiffer the BOSS platform, the better for the same reasons. You want the entire platform to move as one piece on demand from the drivers in a linear fashion. The softer the isolator, the more movement and floating sensation. But, it's a balance because if you get too soft, the drivers may start to touch the floor when fully loaded. That's why the 20-30 durometer is recommended....it was the optimum range to strike the balance between ULF/TR response and supporting the platform.

That's why full size riser BOSS's work also....because they are stiff due to being thicker/braced platforms and all it takes is raising even just one side of that platform with 20-30 durometer rubber. The height of the rubber isn't as critical for a full size riser but you still want to use 20-30 durometer rubber to get the "bounce" effect.

So awesome to see your setup and hearing first hand about your experiences with the BOSS so far.

BTW, for some reason, when I clicked on the video, it says "the video is unavailable" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Enjoy your new found ULF and TR!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks Tim,

Good stuff going on here. With the BOSS, my subs and MV backed down I can experience PULSe scene without disturbing the neighbors at any time. With BEQ San Andreas can be going crazy with hair on the head movement and the BOSS making it feel like the room is moving a lot more now without having to crank the SUbs and MV to get there. This is so up my alley. But....

The turn it on its ear setup...is up next.

The video should be working now. Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Have fun,

41 - 60 of 76 Posts