AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Panny 42" today from DELL (FedexExpress).

- from Huntington beach

- No buzzing/humming;

- 1 Dead Pixel, middle of screen;

After 2,5 hours with DELL. There is a restocking fee of 15% if I don't want it more. DELL can not replace the Plasma only Electrograph can. DELL told me to call the number in the BOX. I called a company in the FEDEX airbill, Central Worldwide, and they gave me the Electrograph Systems phone number.

Electrograph policy is not to accept Plasma return with up to 12 Dead pixels. However, if in the middle of screen they can *think* about the replacement. I need to wait two days to see if it will *fade* or get fixed by themselves.

Please, I don't know why I remember Paul Gilmore at ProjectionOne.

:confused:

MoocaT

·
Registered
925 Posts
are you dissing paul? he's a great guy. i've had nothing but exceptionally positive experiences with him.

doody.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doody
are you dissing paul? he's a great guy. i've had nothing but exceptionally positive experiences with him.

doody.
He is not dissing Paul. He is saying "if only I had dealt with Paul @ Projectionone instead of the big uncaring Dell"

-mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is right ! Mark.

If I knew about the 15 % restocking fee and DELL's POOR customer services. I will not buy from them. I would not recommend buy from DELL and they lost me as customer forever, not even theirs products (I am using one now).

About the Panny 42":

- I used a Laser Disc player with S-VHS and with Zoom mode I saw 2 horizontal lines in the same position(the separation between the movie screen and the black bars) when in Full mode for 2.35:1 Laser Disc material (BRAVE HEART). It looks like combing effects on bad deinterlacing progressive DVD players but only in that horizontal line division (Above and below).

Is this a problem with this Panny 42"??? I didn't like this as I have a lot of Laser Discs.

MoocaT

·
Registered
30 Posts
did you let the screen run at least 2 hours?

when i got mine there was one dead pixel, but after 2 hours it worked perfectly. breaking time is needing. no problem so far.

dont jump too fast!

+

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shootsy,

I left for 4 hours yesterday. I still have the dead pixel. However, Eletrograph's customer services told me to let the screen run for 12 hours ! I will let it run this afternoon.

I will keep the Forun posted.

MoocaT

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Wrap the thing in cloth and drop it on the flor untill you get twelve bad ones.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
310 Posts
Often "dead" pixels turn out to be sleeping, :eek: and a few days' running can wake them up.

Plasma's different than other pixel devices, and this is one of the manifestiations. The good news is no plasma pixels go out; although it's theoretically possible, no one reports having seen working pixels quit after installation. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm, I guess it helps to have a major problem when dealing with Dell. I received my Panny 42 from Dell last Thursday. It arrived with a cracked screen. I was afraid, because of the issues surrounding FedEx shipping of Plasma screens, that I would be in for a major fight with Dell and or FedEx. However, when I called Dell support, they surprised me by apologizing for the inconvenience and arranging for a replacement to be delivered by the end of this week. They are also sending me shipping labels and instructions for returning the damaged Panny. I haven’t received the replacement yet, but all indications are that I shouldn’t have a problem.

scmucker

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you agree to pay a 15% restocking fee before you ordered? Probably not.

I had this problem with Dell when I returned a DLP projector and was only credited 85%. I got my credit card to temporarily credit me the remainnig 15% "pending investigation." In the meantime, I've acquired the info to sue them in small claims court, which I will do if it is not resolved via the credit card.

By the way, this has soured me on buying *anything* through the internet/mail order. A good thing, too, because this past weekend I bought a Bello stand, which was bent. I took it back to the store and bought it at another location of the same store. Dealing with this would have been a real pain if I had bought it over the web.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oren,

I didn't know about the 15% restocking fee. If I knew it I would not put the order.

I liked your idea about the "pending investigation" if I still have a problem with them. We will see!

The good news:

- Electrograph will replace it. They will pick it up this afternoon.

-next one around Nov. 25

MoocaT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to close the loop on this...a week ago I received confirmation from Dell of a refund of the remaining 15%. I had no further dealings with them after my credit card credited me the 15% pending investigation--the credit just appeared.

Lesson: before you purchase something, check to see if there is a restocking fee. But if you don't see one or if you don't agree to one as part of the purchasing process, stick to your guns and fight for your money back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.