AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this great forum which gave me the confidence to go used CRT..

I had a technician do the setup - there's no way I could have done this as a newbie..

I have a couple of issues I would love your help on..

1- I can't get any picture on HD satellite..

equipment is:

RCA DTC-100 HD receiver

Extron DVS-150 scaler

Barco BG 808

Screen is a Stewarts 1.3 gain - 54" x 96"

The scaler has a 15 pin HD RGB passthrough input. I'm using the 15 pin output of the scaler with a breakout RGBHV cable into the Barco.

I do a get a picture on regular satellite and the audio from the HD stations..

I do get the HD stations via S-video input but not if I turn on the HD button.

The scaler is working fine on other inputs..

I tried another cable and still no picture..

does it even matter since the s-video input can be scaled up anyways?

any suggestions?

2- The picture on the Barco from DVD..

Overall I'm happy - certainly is bright enough - I love the colour accuracy..

Black levels etc..

Only thing I;m not pleased with is that I find the picture too soft..

The scaler has the following resolutions:

"Scaled RGB outputs are available simultaneously on a 15-pin HD connector and six BNCs. The DVS 150 offers scalable outputs at these computer-video rates: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 832 x 624, 1024 x 768, and 1280 x 1024. Progressive HDTV output rates of 480p, 720p, and 1080p are available."

We set it up at 1024 x 768 @ 75Hz..

I would like to try a lower setting..

Does the Barco 808 have memory settings? I'm apprehensive about having to resize the image to fit the screen properly at a different resolution - so if i royally mess things up can I switch back easily to the 1024 x 768 settings?

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
1- I can't get any picture on HD satellite..
This is because Barco projectors require a Negative Sync output from your RGB device. Unfortuantely the RCA DTC-100 only outputs a Positive Sync from the 15 pin RGB output. To solve this you simply need a Sync Inverter like the Extron SC-210 Sync Processor.

Quote:
2- The picture on the Barco from DVD...We set it up at 1024 x 768 @ 75Hz...I would like to try a lower setting...Does the Barco 808 have memory settings? I'm apprehensive about having to resize the image to fit the screen properly at a different resolution - so if i royally mess things up can I switch back easily to the 1024 x 768 settings?
Yes, the projector has multiple memories. I would probably switch the Refresh Rate to 60Hz as well. 1024x768 should look very sharp as that is pretty normal to even low res for a Barco 808. Might want to try 1280x720 if you're using a 16x9 screen.

Sounds like either the scaler is introducing some softness, or the focus is not optimized on the projector.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks D-Man,

[

This is because Barco projectors require a Negative Sync output from your RGB device. Unfortuantely the RCA DTC-100 only outputs a Positive Sync from the 15 pin RGB output. To solve this you simply need a Sync Inverter like the Extron SC-210 Sync Processor.

The SC-210 costs $725 US - this is more than the HD receiver..

Before I do this, are there any other HD recivers that would work on the Barco?

The RCA receiver is brand new and I could return or exchange it..

Yes, the projector has multiple memories.

By this I assume that if I change resolutions - setup the image - and then switch back to the 1st resolution the Barco retains all settings on every rate I set up..

correct?

I would probably switch the Refresh Rate to 60Hz as well. 1024x768 should look very sharp as that is pretty normal to even low res for a Barco 808.

as this is my first front CRT I am only comparing the sharpness to what I had before - which was a Pioneer Elite 710 RP using the same scaler..I am not sure if I am being overly critical on the sharpness now or not.

Might want to try 1280x720 if you're using a 16x9 screen.

I don't have this as one of my choices..

Is this the same as the HD 720P choice?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
The SC-210 costs $725 US - this is more than the HD receiver..

Before I do this, are there any other HD recivers that would work on the Barco?

The RCA receiver is brand new and I could return or exchange it..
I've seen these sell for ~$200. on eBay. There is one for sale in the AVS classifieds right now SS-220 (I think) for ~$300.

I don't know if all HD receivers output Positive Sync or not. Perhaps someone else can chime in here on that issue.

Quote:
By this I assume that if I change resolutions - setup the image - and then switch back to the 1st resolution the Barco retains all settings on every rate I set up...correct?
Correct!

Quote:
I don't have this as one of my choices...Is this the same as the HD 720P choice?
Yes! 720p= 1280x720

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The Dish 6K outs out neg, and I believe that the Zenith DTV HD receiver is neg as well.

Terry

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm the one selling the 220. It will definitely do the job. The nice thing about it is that if you later change displays or want to upgrade to a new STB that puts out the other type of sync, you can always tell the 220 to output whatever kind of polarity or type of sync you want. So it keeps you independent of the polarity of the devices and display. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is that the new Leeza I'm getting will do this for me so I don't need a separate box to do it. I have a Dwin HD-700 which also only takes negative sync, which I why I ended up with the Extron.

And it also outputs simultaneously on its BNC and HD-15 outputs, which I use to very good use. I run the output from my RGB switcher into the 220, then I can run a computer monitor locally and run the BNC connection up to the projector. So I can see all my sources both locally on the computer monitor and on the projector as well. This was one thing that I would have had to do anyway, so it was nice that the 220 would do this in addition to taking care of the sync issue. Particularly when playing with Powerstrip, if you blow the projector off course by changing the signal too much, you have it there on the computer monitor and can tweak it back again. And definitely when doing maintenance work on the HTPC its best to do it on the local monitor where its easier to read.

And, since its the last thing in the chain, and it actually rebuilds the sync signal, it will make sure that you output a nice crispy sync signal even after going through scalers and switchers along the way.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually, just so I don't end up killing myself, I guess I should confirm that the Leeza will handle this sync conversion for me? It seems to imply that in the manual. It indicates that it can control the sync polarity during component to RGB conversion, but what about when I'm just passing through the output from the DTC-100? Will it flip the polarity for me in that case? If not, then I can't see the SS 220 :-0

I'll post another thread on this issue just in case. Doh! So many toys, so few brain cells...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been experimenting with various scan rates, the detail settings on the scaler and sharpness control on the Barco..

The best image is using 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz..

My oh my does the picture now look good..

You can add me to the happy CRT camp..:)

Dean - thanks for the explanation..I'll first see about swapping the RCA and if not a possibility I'll email you on the 220..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything is set up under the 1080P setting - picture is great other than I still find the image lacking detail even after maximizing the detail settings using the Avia sharpness patterns.

I am trying to recalibrate with the 720P options. I have been able to get the sizing right etc but am really struggling with the convergence..

Independantly each colour looks fine but not when it's for example red on blue..I spent alot of time but am not getting anywhere..I can get the image to line up say under each other but not come together.

I find the remote is also not easy to control the up and down movement on the bar lines in the adjust mode..the percentages seem to jump up and down and I get to either zero or 100% instantly and get the warning message displayed..

TIA for your help..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.