AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this site...been lurking for several years now. Should say I have got a lot of great ideas from all of you in regards to design and construction of home theater through the hundreds of threads I have read. Nice job everyone!

I started my basement 2 years ago this coming September. It's been a long road with many active and inactive frames of progress. Married with two young kids...yeah, time is few and far between. Anyhow, I currently have some time now and I'm in the process of mudding. As I snapped some photos yesterday of my progress, I realized something that now has me a little stumped on how to proceed. From the picture below, I have a closet door that swings outward under my bulkhead. This may be a simple resolution to many on how to proceed but it has me stumped. My question is...How is the best way to do door trim around this door to not make it look 'weird'? I'm sure someone has ran into this same issue before. Any suggestions and pics as to how you have or would handle it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

DOOR IN QUESTION...

Also, just threw some quick beginning to current pics in there as well to show off my work. Thanks for looking, plenty more pics if anyone is interested.

BEFORE:

PREP/FRAMING

INSULATION/DRYWALL

MUDDING

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
How is the rest of that wall going to be finished? Fabric? Paint? Will the wall color and trim match? Depending on how you plan on finishing that wall will definitely impact how 'visible' any door trim is going to be.

Have fun with the build!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planning to paint rest of the wall and the trim to be a different color than the walls. My thoughts are it will stick out like a sore thumb if i cut a small piece of trim to put on the top of the doorway butting it against the bulk head. Might be my only option and may not look bad when all said and done. Just can't find any pic examples to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 7/26/2012 :

Was able to get some drywall on the stair wall and a first coat of mud on. Need to run to the store to get some corner bead and a few more sheets of drywall to finish this up and then I should be done with all drywall hanging in the family room area, Yeah!

Still a lot left to do though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have two door openings in my theater where the top of the doorway is finished drywall and flush with the ceiling or soffit. I was planning on framing the doorway down 3" so that I could put the trim in and just cutting 3" off of the bottom of the door.

If anyone here has ideas for Jason, I'd love to hear them, too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As Steve suggests, the "right" way to do this would be to take out the door and re-frame a shorter opening. Although cutting that much off a door might cause some problems of its own.

The other thing you could try would be to attach the top piece of trim to the door instead of to the wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts